News Disney After Hours Events expands to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Review of DAK After Hours

So, I just attended the first DAKAH (it was coincidentally held during the week I had planned to visit long ago).

It was delightful.

First, the mechanics.
  • For $125 ($95 for AP), you get three "after hours."
  • For DAK this meant that the second and last general audience RoL was at 7:30 PM. The park officially closed at 8:00 PM. The After Hours event began at 8:30 and ended at 11:30 PM.
  • Like the After Hours event at MK, you get 'free' Mickey Bars (and a few other frozen treats) and popcorn and plastic bottled soft drinks or water. As much as you want.
  • Unlike the After Hours event at MK, there were a few food quick service places (at MK, there is no place to buy food during AH).
  • For what was included, see this tweet from Attractions Magazine:

The experience:

I had dinner at Tiffins around 4 PM. Went to Bug's Life to watch people get traumatized for life. Then wen to RoL at 7:30, which was the second show (remember when RoL was just 3 times a week and now it's twice a night?). This second show had about two empty sections.

We sauntered back toward the gate to find the place to get the AH wristband and found a stand near the shop near the Tree of Life. There was a big standee that said "TICKETS". Tickets to what? Good question. Who knows. Went to the register and saw the CM with the wristbands, so, we figured this was the place and it was.

The whole goal of course was to ride FoP as many times as we could. We enjoyed Pandora at night for a bit. Found a secret place to rub a tree to elicit some lights and a noise (other than the big pod at the entrance). Went to FoP and there was a line with about 80 people waiting at the FP entrance. At exactly 8:30, they let us in.

There was some people from the day in the last switchback room and in the queue outside the theaters. That annoyed me... when you pay a hundred bucks for a promised experience, you expect the experience you were promised... (almost) no lines. But they treated us as FPers and we we in the first pre-show 17 minutes after they let us in.

FoP was as awesome as ever.

When we got off of FoP, we circled around and got back on. This time the day-ticket people were gone and we literally walked onto FoP.

We went around again, and not only was it a walk-on, but the CM let us choose what level and what spots we wanted. That long set of four lines leading to the pre-show? Empty. The pre-show? Anywhere from two to six people each time. We almost had a whole theater to ourselves.

We went through 7 times in a row taking 15-20 minutes to cycle. Wish they had a backstage cut through since it almost took as much time to walk all the way out and all the way back in each time. At the MK's after hours, they let us stay on Buzz Lightyear without getting off several times in a row. Would be nice for some shortcuts for this, too.

Apparently, yes, there was an additional RoL (which we didn't go to). Attractions Magazine has a tweet showing the theater nearly empty.

A CM said they only sold about 1-2 thousand tickets and it was supposed to be around 5 thousand ticket limit (they didn't seem to solid on the numbers, though).

Both this after hours and MK's AH had the same odd interaction with the CMs staffing the free treats: they were practically begging us to take extra. I mean, that's nice of them, but, you can't exactly take backpacks full of frozen treats home with you. (It seams the MK's AH was also not sold out (rainy) and so, they had way too much inventory on hand.)

Review

Loved it. I finally got my fill of FoP. Don't think I'll feel the need to grab a FP for each day of future trips as I've been doing. Both this AF and MK's AF was a pleasure to walk around an almost empty park. So nice and relaxing. Perfect for night owls. This is especially after experience the Halloween and Christmas parties at MK that were way too crowded. Until WDW announces that there going to be lowering the attendance cap on those parties... I don't think I'll do them anymore. The After Hours are all the party I need.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
So nice and relaxing. Perfect for night owls. This is especially after experience the Halloween and Christmas parties at MK that were way too crowded. Until WDW announces that there going to be lowering the attendance cap on those parties... I don't think I'll do them anymore. The After Hours are all the party I need.

The ideal Disney survey answer to justify more of these. Remember, this was how the party nights started out, and then TDO kept getting greedier, upping the cost, number of tickets, days of the week.

EMH are probably on borrowed time, and it will just be a matter of time before early evening park closings to allow for hard ticket events are the norm.

iowamomof4

So, I just attended the first DAKAH (it was coincidentally held during the week I had planned to visit long ago).

It was delightful.

First, the mechanics.
  • For DAK this meant that the second and last general audience RoL was at 7:30 PM. The park officially closed at 8:00 PM. The After Hours event began at 8:30 and ended at 11:30 PM.
  • Like the After Hours event at MK, you get 'free' Mickey Bars (and a few other frozen treats) and popcorn and plastic bottled soft drinks or water. As much as you want.
  • Unlike the After Hours event at MK, there were a few food quick service places (at MK, there is no place to buy food during AH).

The experience:

I had dinner at Tiffins around 4 PM. Went to Bug's Life to watch people get traumatized for life. Then wen to RoL at 7:30, which was the second show (remember when RoL was just 3 times a week and now it's twice a night?). This second show had about two empty sections.

We sauntered back toward the gate to find the place to get the AH wristband and found a stand near the shop near the Tree of Life. There was a big standee that said "TICKETS". Tickets to what? Good question. Who knows. Went to the register and saw the CM with the wristbands, so, we figured this was the place and it was.

The whole goal of course was to ride FoP as many times as we could. We enjoyed Pandora at night for a bit. Found a secret place to rub a tree to elicit some lights and a noise (other than the big pod at the entrance). Went to FoP and there was a line with about 80 people waiting at the FP entrance. At exactly 8:30, they let us in.

There was some people from the day in the last switchback room and in the queue outside the theaters. That annoyed me... when you pay a hundred bucks for a promised experience, you expect the experience you were promised... (almost) no lines. But they treated us as FPers and we we in the first pre-show 17 minutes after they let us in.

When we got off of FoP, we circled around and got back on. This time the day-ticket people were gone and we literally walked onto FoP.

We went around again, and not only was it a walk-on, but the CM let us choose what level and what spots we wanted. That long set of four lines leading to the pre-show? Empty. The pre-show? Anywhere from two to six people each time. We almost had a whole theater to ourselves.

We went through 7 times in a row taking 15-20 minutes to cycle. Wish they had a backstage cut through since it almost took as much time to walk all the way out and all the way back in each time. At the MK's after hours, they let us stay on Buzz Lightyear without getting off several times in a row. Would be nice for some shortcuts for this, too.

Apparently, yes, there was an additional RoL (which we didn't go to). Attractions Magazine has a tweet showing the theater nearly empty.

A CM said they only sold about 1-2 thousand tickets and it was supposed to be around 5 thousand ticket limit (they didn't seem to solid on the numbers, though).

Both this after hours and MK's AH had the same odd interaction with the CMs staffing the free treats: they were practically begging us to take extra. I mean, that's nice of them, but, you can't exactly take backpacks full of frozen treats home with you. (It seams the MK's AH was also not sold out (rainy) and so, they had way too much inventory on hand.)

Review

Loved it. I finally got my fill of FoP. Don't think I'll feel the need to grab a FP for each day of future trips as I've been doing. Both this AF and MK's AF was a pleasure to walk around an almost empty park. So nice and relaxing. Perfect for night owls. This is especially after experience the Halloween and Christmas parties at MK that were way too crowded. Until WDW announces that there going to be lowering the attendance cap on those parties... I don't think I'll do them anymore. The After Hours are all the party I need.

Thanks for the review! I do believe Main St Bakery and Casey's Corner are both open during the MK event.

Kman101

Well, whether you think it’s right or wrong how these events have come about, or the cost is too high, or I’m stupid for going, I went to After Hours last night at MK and it was EMPTY. I can’t say I had anything but an amazing time. I think we saw more cast members than people!

We didn’t wait for anything, walked straight onto everything. So many rides we were the only ones there, empty vehicles before and after. The only time other people were on the same time with us were 7DMT & Astro Orbiter (randomly!).

Walking down an empty Main Street and having the hub to ourselves at times was surreal. I don’t know if less tickets sold for this date, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Even one of the photopass CMs was excited and dancing on Main Street because there were no crowds.

Not trying to sell this or convince anyone just relaying my experience. To me it was worth the cost and I’d absolutely do it again in a heartbeat.

View attachment 328710

View attachment 328711

View attachment 328712

View attachment 328714

View attachment 328715

View attachment 328716

View attachment 328717

View attachment 328739

Of course you had a great time with no crowds ;)

And I see the value in it for many.

But why should we pay for an empty park? They can't leave the park open until midnight? How about letting passholders and DVC have more after hours? I just have a problem with them double and triple dipping and selling the parks several times a day. I mean, kudos to them because we're letting them do it. It's not the offer I really have a problem with.

And I'm just *shocked* Animal Kingdom was empty ;)

I would do it over a Holiday party, though, I agree with @MisterPenguin on that :) (the crowds for the parties are too much now, it's just not that appealing, although if I chose one, it would be the Halloween party I'd attend again right now)

Trust me, an empty park is madly appealing. But I still take some issue with it. Just my feelings :) I'm truly glad for those who have a great time and enjoy it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The ideal Disney survey answer to justify more of these. Remember, this was how the party nights started out, and then TDO kept getting greedier, upping the cost, number of tickets, days of the week.

EMH are probably on borrowed time, and it will just be a matter of time before early evening park closings to allow for hard ticket events are the norm.
Exactly. EXACTLY!

Someone who isn't me needs to take a look at the park calendars and see how many days of the year TDO is doing some kind of double sell of the park. Morning Magic, After hours, Xmas/Halloween parties. It's wild.

Disney created a problem, understaffed, under capacity, over crowded parks. Then they monetize the solution and people lap it up.

Kman101

Exactly. EXACTLY!

Someone who isn't me needs to take a look at the park calendars and see how many days of the year TDO is doing some kind of double sell of the park. Morning Magic, After hours, Xmas/Halloween parties. It's wild.

Disney created a problem, understaffed, under capacity, over crowded parks. Then they monetize the solution and people lap it up.

I need a standing ovation gif. And I never post gifs. LOL.

All of this is so true. I was looking at hours just this week and nearly every day had a ticketed event at some point. Instead of opening the parks earlier or keeping them open later, they want to sell the parks multiple times, make it just beneficial enough for people to defend it (again I absolutely "see the benefit" for those who want to pay for it and why they would). They want to sell the parks numerous times so they can keep track of how many are sold and what they want to staff. It's not really out of the goodness of their hearts they're offering these upcharge 'events'. I see it for what it is, even though I also see why some want to pay for it and why it's beneficial to them.

It's still a 'nice perk' for hotel guests, but Extra Magic Hours are pretty much useless for the most part at this point. Too crowded and not really the benefit it used to be. It's basically just early admission for park guests with limited things to do. At least Universal offers early entry for it's passholders on select days. What a novel concept ;) AND they don't leave their resort guests out. It's not hard.

Ariel1986

Of course you had a great time with no crowds ;)

And I see the value in it for many.

But why should we pay for an empty park? They can't leave the park open until midnight? How about letting passholders and DVC have more after hours? I just have a problem with them double and triple dipping and selling the parks several times a day. I mean, kudos to them because we're letting them do it. It's not the offer I really have a problem with.

And I'm just *shocked* Animal Kingdom was empty ;)

I would do it over a Holiday party, though, I agree with @MisterPenguin on that :) (the crowds for the parties are too much now, it's just not that appealing, although if I chose one, it would be the Halloween party I'd attend again right now)

Trust me, an empty park is madly appealing. But I still take some issue with it. Just my feelings :) I'm truly glad for those who have a great time and enjoy it.

I do understand where you’re coming from. I’ll also mention that tonight the park is open until Midnight though (EMH 10pm-12am) and has been a few times this trip (I believe 1am at one time). So they do still keep it open.

Yes I know EMH were more frequent in the past. I’m not naive enough to think Disney is doing AH as a special amazing gift to fans either. I just still enjoy Disney and don’t have the energy to be outraged or irked over additonal events (not saying you personally are outraged or irked, I know people are just expressing opinions :))

Just wanted to post a review for anyone who wanted to actually see how it was rather than the ever ongoing debates. And as some people had said it isn’t actually an empty park- or that this replaces the parks ever being open till midnight ;)

JediMasterMatt

Exactly. EXACTLY!

While this is 100% true... Disney isn't the problem. We are.

We are the ones letting them do this. They have literally been playing a game of monetary chicken with their customers for more than a decade. They keep trying to find the point where we all wise up and say enough; but, the thing is - we haven't.

"We" in this case is all of use who continue to go and accept this as tolerable by paying for it.

I'll freely admit that I'm most definitely a part of the problem. I've got Premier passes and yet still jump at any chance to go to one of the after hour parties if they coincide with a vacation we've got planned. It's crazy not to because the most valuable commodity you have on a vacation is time. If I can spend a bit more and get value in return - I will certainly do it.

Our normal end of January vacation falls right into prime Disney After Hours alley. Once the schedule got announced for this year, we even changed our arrival day by coming in one day early and extending our stay just to take advantage of one more MK DAH. For the discounted price of admission for passholders, the event is simply too good of a value to miss out on.

I'm sure at some point, I'll finally hit my limit; but, as long as events like DAH's continue to allow you to accomplish so much in such little about of time - it's a better bargain than a day's normal admission or a holiday party at this point. Of course, once DAH's starts selling out continually and they raise the maximum occupancy - maybe the Disney After After Hours Event will become the hot commodity.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Thanks for the review! I do believe Main St Bakery and Casey's Corner are both open during the MK event.

Thanks for the info. I watched a Mickey Bar CM attendant tell someone five minutes after the event started that there's no place to buy any food in the park now that it's closed to everyone.

I took that to mean no food sales at all. I wonder if people without the event wrist band could buy from those places once the event starts.

My fault at MK for not taking the event guide when I got my wrist band. However, at AK, they didn't offer me an event guide. And there's no place on a Disney site that says where you can buy food at AK.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

I remember when people were saying WDW purposely let the transportation system erode into something horrible so that they can upsell their Mini-Van and temporary Park-to-Park vans.

And yet, WDW had just bought more buses, installed a tracking system for them for guests to see, and added bus-only lanes. And they've continued to invest hundreds of millions into more buses, a gondola system, more bus-only lanes into the parks, and brought the bus tracking into the MDE app.

So, I don't buy this Machiavellian conspiracy scheme that Disney has purposely been overcrowding their parks so as to sell off-hour access. An upsell doesn't require a conspiracy to make it happen.

The number of people coming to the parks continues to grow. And it's done so despite aggressive increases in ticket prices. Disney didn't sneakily arrange for millions of extra guests per year that overrun their parks' capacities, especially in MK. When you hit a parks tipping point in its per-hour capacity, then lines back up. That's just simple reality.

All the after-hours events (EMH, holiday parties, After Hours) were once enticements to draw people to their resorts and to off-peak times a year. They're really not needed anymore, but, people expect them and are willing to pay for them.

Disney could expand their hours, say from 6 AM to 3 AM for a 21 hour day. But that's not a sustainable pay-one-price business model since they'd wind up staffing up all the attractions for a small number of people at the extremes.

I've just criticized WDW for overselling the holiday parties, so, hold your accusations of pixie-dusting. But a reasonable selling of an extended day which controls the number of people away from swarming the park at a peak time is a reasonable way to handle parks which are being overrun with guests. Otherwise, the solution would be to limit ticket sales per day (which their new online ticket software seems it could do).

Ariel1986

I remember when people were saying WDW purposely let the transportation system erode into something horrible so that they can upsell their Mini-Van and temporary Park-to-Park vans.

And yet, WDW had just bought more buses, installed a tracking system for them for guests to see, and added bus-only lanes. And they've continued to invest hundreds of millions into more buses, a gondola system, more bus-only lanes into the parks, and brought the bus tracking into the MDE app.

So, I don't buy this Machiavellian conspiracy scheme that Disney has purposely been overcrowding their parks so as to sell off-hour access. An upsell doesn't require a conspiracy to make it happen.

The number of people coming to the parks continues to grow. And it's done so despite aggressive increases in ticket prices. Disney didn't sneakily arrange for millions of extra guests per year that overrun their parks' capacities, especially in MK. When you hit a parks tipping point in its per-hour capacity, then lines back up. That's just simple reality.

All the after-hours events (EMH, holiday parties, After Hours) were once enticements to draw people to their resorts and to off-peak times a year. They're really not needed anymore, but, people expect them and are willing to pay for them.

Disney could expand their hours, say from 6 AM to 3 AM for a 21 hour day. But that's not a sustainable pay-one-price business model since they'd wind up staffing up all the attractions for a small number of people at the extremes.

I've just criticized WDW for overselling the holiday parties, so, hold your accusations of pixie-dusting. But a reasonable selling of an extended day which controls the number of people away from swarming the park at a peak time is a reasonable way to handle parks which are being overrun with guests. Otherwise, the solution would be to limit ticket sales per day (which their new online ticket software seems it could do).

This is pretty much what I had in my mind this morning also, but I couldn’t put it together so well! Thanks for the review of AK also, that’s next on our list!

monothingie

Premium Member

Bob isn't in his office pulling a Mr. Burns and secretly plotting how to enrich his stock holders, but....consider the following things which add up to why some people would consider this :
  • First, Disney's strategy is to offer more upscale premium offers, this is not a secret and they have been very open about it.
  • There is a demand for more capacity.
  • Expansions for the most part have not added capacity.
  • Park hours and events that spread the attendance around have been cut and not replaced.
  • There are no more "slow times" anymore due to either special events or incentivized pricing which spread the crowds around. (Slow Times are busier and busier times are insane)
  • Good economy means people are spending and traveling and not scared off by the meteoric rise in prices at WDW.
  • With all the data analytics collected to MDE, TDO can forecast and adjust staffing hours to meet what they would consider an acceptable level of waiting or crowding.
So what does Disney do, knowing there is a demand for this and they have the ability to do it, because they have already cut hours? They test the waters and when people respond positively to it, and it is financially positive, they monetize it and expand it.

monothingie

Premium Member
The number of people coming to the parks continues to grow. And it's done so despite aggressive increases in ticket prices.

Using price sensitivity strategies to a price insensitive guest base is not an effective strategy to control demand. Increasing prices does not increase capacity.

JohnD

It was delightful.

First, the mechanics.

The experience:

Review

Thanks for the review. This gives me an incentive to seriously think about the 12/12 event. (I probably won't make that decision until the night of 12/10 when I'll be in Ep and, hopefully, getting a good view of Illuminations. If so then I won't make plans to return to Epcot. I would also cancel a Boma ADR I have for the evening of 12/12 also.)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Using price sensitivity strategies to a price insensitive guest base is not an effective strategy to control demand. Increasing prices does not increase capacity.

That was my point. They tried to control crowds with prices, but it didn't work. It's not like the enticed overcrowding, but overcrowding is happening despite attempts to reduce crowds with increased prices during peak times and discounts for off-peak.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

There isn't some super villain-esque master plan here. The simple fact is, Disney has reduced capacity. Has reduced staff. Thereby increasing wait times and making the parks always feel jam packed. These are facts.

Now, it is also a fact that they have decided to monetize a "solution" to these issues.

These aren't my opinions. These are actual things that are happening.

Anyways...

One other thing about your review stood out to me. You spent $100 in order to ride Avatar 7x. And in your mind, this was a good allocation of funds? And a solid value?

I have a family of 4. So I would be paying $400+ to do the same thing. That is laughable.

Ariel1986

One other thing about your review stood out to me. You spent $100 in order to ride Avatar 7x. And in your mind, this was a good allocation of funds? And a solid value?

I have a family of 4. So I would be paying $400+ to do the same thing. That is laughable.

Many people would find simply revisting a theme park multiple times & spending any amount of money to do so even more laughable, let alone taking the time to argue on a website about said theme parks.

Why do people feel the need to make snarky comments and feel superior when someone else does something or sees a value in something differently to them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom