News Disney After Hours Events expands to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, some of the cuts are expected to come back: Planet Watch and Star Wars stage show, e.g.

Some of the cuts were reductions, but, the show still goes on: Star Wars trooper march and Citizens of Sunset.

Some of the cuts do seem permanent now: Shaman of RoL and a DAK streetmsophere band (DAK still has plenty of streetmosphere, tho).

I'm guessing the permanent cuts are justified because of all the extra streetmosphere stuff coming up for Mickey's 90th this January.

Remember when people bemoaned the cuts in streetmosphere in MK and then we got Muppets GMiH? It was a reallocation of resources.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Well, some of the cuts are expected to come back: Planet Watch and Star Wars stage show, e.g.

Some of the cuts were reductions, but, the show still goes on: Star Wars trooper march and Citizens of Sunset.

Some of the cuts do seem permanent now: Shaman of RoL and a DAK streetmsophere band (DAK still has plenty of streetmosphere, tho).

I'm guessing the permanent cuts are justified because of all the extra streetmosphere stuff coming up for Mickey's 90th this January.

Remember when people bemoaned the cuts in streetmosphere in MK and then we got Muppets GMiH? It was a reallocation of resources.

I'm all for keeping things fresh, but you usually do so with a transition, announcing a new thing and cutting and old thing. While some of of the cuts have been replaced, the balance is still weighted towards things that were cut not being replaced. This entire exercise in cuts was nothing more than "what's the most we can we get rid of, before people start noticing" Oh and in the middle of it we raised prices on everything from AP's to SmartWater.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ask the people looking to make next quarters results that much better.

Disney has to make money, they are not a charity. But this is the problem with operating your business quarter to quarter and only focusing on exceeding the last quarter.
I would like to ask them how long they expect to kick that can down the road? How long can cutbacks and raised prices be accounted for as "profit".

...and the band played on

Kman101

A couple of notes on your post
1) Why buy an Annual Pass without incentives? Parking included is enough to keep me a customer - agree totally
2) Some of us are lucky enough to be able to do an annual pass - the word "lucky" drives me crazy.....it's funny the harder one works, the luckier they get

We've NEVER waited in the AP entrance, because we don't use it anymore. The 1st couple of times (the ONLY times) we used it, we met those peeps who informed us "it's about time they gave us our own line", and "finally we don't have to wait in a long line with people who can't figure out how to use their Magic Band". The last time we used it someone asked why there was only one AP line......that was also when we heard the "2nd class line" comment
I agree most AP peeps (for that matter most peeps in the population) are logical, but the the concentration of peeps we see in the Magic, you see ones that are anything but logical. The greatest entitlement we see with the AP is the ability to LEAVE when the Parks are too busy!! The flexibility in our work schedule allows us to come to the Magic often, and thus the AP pass gives us the benefit to hang around or just leave if the pixie dust just aint happnin that day in question..........

Working hard doesn't always equal more money :) but I know what you meant, lol. I do think luck plays a big role in our lives but we also make our own ... I won't get too deep, I still need some more coffee :)

I like this explanation better. I can see that and can agree with that, I guess I'm not saying there's none, it's just a lumping all together sort of thing (and that happens with everything; I get it. I watch a few vloggers on YouTube and enjoy them a lot and don't see entitlement but I see massive entitlement from some other bloggers). I will say I've heard that about the Passholder line. Nothing about it makes me feel anymore special, personally. If someone thinks that makes them important or better, that's sad. We spend a lot of time in life dividing ourselves up, labeling, etc. Let's just all enter the same dang turnstile LOL.

Kman101

I'm all for keeping things fresh, but you usually do so with a transition, announcing a new thing and cutting and old thing. While some of of the cuts have been replaced, the balance is still weighted towards things that were cut not being replaced. This entire exercise in cuts was nothing more than "what's the most we can we get rid of, before people start noticing" Oh and in the middle of it we raised prices on everything from AP's to SmartWater.

Yep.

But some defend it. It's bizarre.

Why "reallocate funds"? The parks aren't going out of business. I understand you have a budget but maybe there's something wrong here ...

Missing20K

Wonder how much a Star Wars Land preview will be?
tenor.gif

WDWFannatic

Well, I've booked us the Magic Kingdom After Hours and I'm looking forward to it. The last few times that I have gone to WDW, the wait times have been horrific to say the least - and we've gone in supposed down times too. We're going in January so I will comment when I return to see if I would do it again. Sure, it's a way for Disney to make more money.. but we'll just have to wait and see.

philcan

I'm torn on this one. I'm a capitalist so i understand profit. I also understand offering perks to your repeat clients or clients that stay on property. Thats why we have gone so many times. I remember being in MK at 2AM only because we were staying on property extra magic hours. I have be to the Christmas party. I did it is supposed to be limited but I noticed an increase in crowd if anything. if they are closing earlier all the time just to have a ticketed event that kid of stinks. It will make me think before going on another trip. Things go up & things change. However if Disney makes a change that is a money grab they may lose people like me that say OK I'v been there enough. It is not wort it to me. Others yes me no & if there are enough that stop things change and go back if they don't it works great for Disney. Eventually there is a point were enough is enough it just depends where that line is.

Kman101

How much you got?

$0

I'll see it when I see it ;)

So, the DAK After Dark page specifically mentions FoP now: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/animal-kingdom/animal-kingdom-after-hours/

So, I'll bite the bullet for y'all and attend the inaugural DAKAD on Dec 4 and let you know how many times in a row I rode FoP.

I have no doubt it's valuable for many people. But not everyone's going to see the value in it. Just how it goes :)

For many it's not the event itself. I've seen vloggers attend. It's empty. I'm glad for those who want to pay that for an empty park. I just wonder how much longer they will stay empty (which is the true appeal, and I guess Mickey Bars).

Last edited:

Kman101

I'm honestly curious to see how much they charge for Star Wars previews in Florida months after the two rides open at DLR.

There's obviously a bunch of "never Disneyland"ers and clueless tourists who would still pay top dollar, but the real hype for general Star Wars fans may already have passed by then.

That's a good point.

I can very much see it being done at Disneyland (I mean, they did for GOTG M:B, sort of). Personally, I think they have to be careful about how they roll this out if they want to offer paid previews (yes it's speculation but I think we know where this is going). Could they justify doing it on both coasts? I don't know. I wouldn't think so.

But the sad part is, many annual passholders or vloggers will shell out the cash to be one of the first inside. It's a vicious cycle, lol.

WDW doesn't really have the newer history of paid previews. And I think they probably got some flack for the TSL previews two-to-three months after it opened (and barely anyone showed up).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For many it's not the event itself. I've seen vloggers attend. It's empty. I'm glad for those who want to pay that for an empty park. I just wonder how much longer they will stay empty (which is the true appeal, and I guess Mickey Bars).

The price of Mickey Bars just went up, so, now, to make After Hours cost effective, I only need to eat 16 of them instead of my planned 19!

In the end, the day will come that if you want a Mickey Bar, it'll be cheaper to buy an After Hours ticket than to pay full price for one in a park.

Ariel1986

Well, whether you think it’s right or wrong how these events have come about, or the cost is too high, or I’m stupid for going, I went to After Hours last night at MK and it was EMPTY. I can’t say I had anything but an amazing time. I think we saw more cast members than people!

We didn’t wait for anything, walked straight onto everything. So many rides we were the only ones there, empty vehicles before and after. The only time other people were on the same time with us were 7DMT & Astro Orbiter (randomly!).

Walking down an empty Main Street and having the hub to ourselves at times was surreal. I don’t know if less tickets sold for this date, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Even one of the photopass CMs was excited and dancing on Main Street because there were no crowds.

Not trying to sell this or convince anyone just relaying my experience. To me it was worth the cost and I’d absolutely do it again in a heartbeat.

E9C703E4-7F0F-4274-9784-C902F2C511AF.jpeg

B44925C1-9540-4793-87AE-C1F12040E3B9.jpeg

8997047E-9F50-47F5-A717-6A3F5F097F17.jpeg

70877AD8-FE51-4981-9D87-D60E0A02D74C.jpeg

D37D17F8-828E-47DC-8CE0-115BC39D20A5.jpeg

E5D5D508-9F2A-4CE6-9AC6-4171612095EC.jpeg

4A3DF391-6876-4D57-B458-248459F28B2A.jpeg

4CF161FF-B03F-42B3-9C55-A1F376E10880.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom