Disney After Hours Event

Lirael

Worst thing is, if this is a success, imagine the christmas and halloween party prices this year :in pain: I mean, if there are people foolish enough to spend this amount of money for an event that has nothing different or rare to offer...for something like halloween and christmas they might get away with charging the same or more :banghead:

lentesta

Premium Member
I think Disney may be testing 2 things:

1) Some version of EMH for offsite guests willing to pay a premium for it.
2) Whether they can charge 40% more for a ticket without having a 40% drop in attendance

There seems to be limited appeal for the DAH event if you're already staying on site, because you've already got access to morning and evening EMHs. Some on-site guests will surely try it, but I think for most, the cost/benefit is just out of the question. I'd think that offsite guests might be more willing to rationalize it. We'll see.

The second idea is just revenue optimization. They're able to test a $150 price point in the real world, instead of sending out surveys or trying to extrapolate price curves from spreadsheets.

Call me naive, but I don't see this as the end of onsite EMH. I could be wrong.

PhotoDave219

Once again, where is the official announcement that is posted about? The sites reporting on this don't seem to site a source? One site which has notoriously click baited more than a few times with things like "Shots fired at Disney Springs". Reserve your panic until its official.

Is that where this is coming from? I told you they have a company employee working for them, right?

space42

E-rode nights used to cost what, $50?! Are they throwing in a fireworks show and meet and greet with rare characters and free food and drink..... still wouldn't be worth it! This is absolute craziness. If you want to spread capacity, build more. Of you want more money, provide better food offerings and merchandise. If you want to charge more for hotels, offer the amenities and services of a true 5 star resort offering. Just because the MK is a 5 minute monorail ride away (when it's not broken down or closed) does not warrant prices charged.
E-ride nights were $10.00.

Animaniac93-98

I can't find the 3000 number anywhere. So, I guess they could open this up much wider if the demand is high enough.

I don't think Disney has ever published how many people they let into things like event parties. I also agree with you that if the event proves popular they will raise the attendence cap to maximize revenue (which could have the adverse affect of longer lines for those attending).

alissafalco

This will die quickly...my prediction. There is no way this is going to last. People can get on any ride they want early in the am and close to closing for free with no FP. Yes, a select few will purchase this not knowing any better, but no way. My bets its toast! Ice cream & soda? :hilarious::hilarious: please

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't think Disney has ever published how many people they let into things like event parties. I also agree with you that if the event proves popular they will raise the attendence cap to maximize revenue (which could have the adverse affect of longer lines for those attending).

Same thing that has happened to the Xmas and Halloween parties.

Animaniac93-98

Some comparison shopping for big spenders:

VIP Tour Guide - $125/hour (6 hour minimum)

Private VIP Tours - $400-$600/hour based on season (includes hotel pick-up and drop off and tour guide)

7-hour Ultimate Day for Young Familes or Ultimate Day of Thrills tour - $299/person (includes table service lunch)

deeevo

Some comparison shopping for big spenders:

VIP Tour Guide - $125/hour (6 hour minimum)

Private VIP Tours - $400-$600/hour based on season (includes hotel pick-up and drop off and tour guide)

7-hour Ultimate Day for Young Familes or Ultimate Day of Thrills tour - $299/person (includes table service lunch)
Are these the people I see walking in to the FP lines with CM's? I always wondered how much it cast per person to do that for the day.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This will die quickly...my prediction. There is no way this is going to last. People can get on any ride they want early in the am and close to closing for free with no FP. Yes, a select few will purchase this not knowing any better, but no way. My bets its toast! Ice cream & soda? :hilarious::hilarious: please
It deserves to die fast. But let's see what happens. Other than the very inexpensive E-ride nights 15 years ago, after hours events that cost extra (i.e., other than EMH) have always given something extra as well. Different experiences that weren't available during regular hours. With the Halloween and Xmas parties, those extras were stripped away bit by bit but still a little something extra remained. This, though, seems to include no extras at all. Not even special meet n greets.

The only person I could recommend this to is somebody who has one evening free and wants to hit MK and nothing else. Paying $150 for a couple hours of regular park time and then 3 hours with a virtually empty park might be better than $114 for one regular night at MK. That's a pretty small demographic.

That being said, I suspect there are enough people who will pay for the "exclusive" experience. Think of all the posters on these boards who have said they'd tolerate more price increases for less crowds. Well, here's the event for those folks. It'll be a success.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Someone may have to refresh my memory, but years ago to get the E-ride night you had to have a valid park ticket for that day. This seems to be something completely different. Looking at this it would include park admission, no crowds, and some ice cream/drinks. Having an annual pass I do not think this is something I would do, but if it is truly "after hours" I do not think it will effect my visit to the park and could see this being done by some people. One group it may appeal to is convention goes that might attend the last day of a convention in Orlando and then send a night a the Magic Kingdom. It might also allow some of the employees at Walt Disney World to make up for some of the hours that have been cut and maybe even a little overtime.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Ice Cream Novelties & Select Beverages Included!
In the midst of the laughs and thrills, be sure to chill out with ice cream novelties and select bottled beverages—included with the cost of admission—available at carts stationed through the park

well... now the $150 a person makes complete sense... what a deal! :facepalm:
Although...for unlimited dole whips...$150 sounds like a bargain to me :p:p:p

Virtual Toad

So the facts are, just to be sure I'm not missing something:

1. Disney is now going to charge $150 for a perk that used to cost $10 (E-Ride Nights).
2. The MK hours for mid-June (last time I checked) are currently a 10pm close every night.

Now speculation:

1. Is WDW testing the water on cutting back regular park hours and then slapping an expensive up-charge on those very same hours? (Guests used to be able to stay in a quieter, less busy park during late night hours, say from 10pm to midnight, but now to do so they have to pay an additional $150 a person?!)

2. Will they also be able to get away with closing a significant amount of (non-headliner) attractions during the special event to save an additional ton of $$ on labor and operational costs? Note the official Disney notice listed a ridiculously limited number of open attractions-- not even posting a definitive list to let the consumer make an educated decision. E-ride nights at least told you up front exactly what you were getting. $150 just for the few attractions they listed sounds like a total ripoff but perhaps that's all they plan on keeping open. If not, they should definitely own up to exactly what will or won't be open. Years past: entire park open until midnight for all paying guests. This year: MK closing at 10pm with the possibility of an up-charge event with only a handful of attractions open? Do the math and grab the cash. It's the fact that this is all part of a very disturbing trend that upsets me the most.

And on a side note: I'm not going to (hopefully) risk getting banned but as someone who booked a mid-June trip with ROL in mind it's definitely frustrating to see AK closing early without any show times listed for the one new thing my family wants to see. How am I supposed to plan my trip to the microsecond if they're not even listing show times, let alone offering FPs? Perhaps they're not 100% sure the show is ready yet?? I don't think there's a sinister plot to charge extra for ROL (except for the good seats which we all know will happen through add-on dining packages), but geez. Everything coming from WDW right not just seems so… unorganized and chaotic.

prberk

@ford91exploder is being shown to be right (whether we like it or not). That is what is happening.

The "World" we love has become out of reach for most people, and the antithesis of what inspired us all for so long.

Yes, it is a commercial place. Yes, it takes money to do things well. But greed goes beyond that, and it undercuts everything that built the foundation for a person or an organization.

"The love of money is the root of all evil." I Timothy 6:10. Note that the often-misquoted scripture is not referring to money itself, but the love of it. We are seeing the effects of that being played out here.

I am an optimist in many ways, and I love Walt Disney World; but I have to face facts. This is beyond ridiculous.

Brad Bishop

Virtual Toad: That's what it looks like to me. A move to close the MK at 10PM (where on busy nights they'd often stay open to midnight or 1AM) and do an up-charge event going forward.

I have to say that all of these fees and up-charge events are really souring me to Disney. They're quickly working their way into my skull as a place I just won't go to again.

Lirael

I wonder if this will affect the release RoL news. In the sense that, if there's a lot of backlash they might release some new RoL tidbit to divert people's attention elsewhere

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom