Disney After Hours Event

pax_65

Wow. Just wow. I'm actually at a loss for words. I'm glad this news broke after I planned my Spring trip, or I might have bagged the whole thing. Just so disappointed. Time for a new favorite vacation spot. :(

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
So the facts are, just to be sure I'm not missing something:

1. Disney is now going to charge $150 for a perk that used to cost $10 (E-Ride Nights).

I do not think this is right. I think E-Ride did not include admission to the park and some of other stuff offered. Again this is not something I will pay for, but other may think it is a deal.

Bolt

Wow. Just wow. I'm actually at a loss for words. I'm glad this news broke after I planned my Spring trip, or I might have bagged the whole thing. Just so disappointed. Time for a new favorite vacation spot. :(
I get it sucks but not sure why this event would ruin your vacation. It's once a week and after hours. Do conventions in the parks after hours bother you (happen daily)?

pax_65

I get it sucks but not sure why this event would ruin your vacation. It's once a week and after hours. Do conventions in the parks after hours bother you (happen daily)?

I'm bummed because we're facing reduced hours already. During my 10-day trip in May, there's only 1 EMH in the evening at Magic Kingdom. There will be two of these hard-ticketed nights during my trip. So my perception is that I'm getting much less value from my pass than ever before. :(

Bolt

I'm bummed because we're facing reduced hours already. During my 10-day trip in May, there's only 1 EMH in the evening at Magic Kingdom. There will be two of these hard-ticketed nights during my trip. So my perception is that I'm getting much less value from my pass than ever before. :(
EMH schedules have remained mostly untouched but I can see why you might only get 1 night at MK because it only happens once a week. 1:7 chance I suppose.

Lucky

I think Disney may be testing 2 things:

1) Some version of EMH for offsite guests willing to pay a premium for it.
2) Whether they can charge 40% more for a ticket without having a 40% drop in attendance

There seems to be limited appeal for the DAH event if you're already staying on site, because you've already got access to morning and evening EMHs. Some on-site guests will surely try it, but I think for most, the cost/benefit is just out of the question. I'd think that offsite guests might be more willing to rationalize it. We'll see.

The second idea is just revenue optimization. They're able to test a $150 price point in the real world, instead of sending out surveys or trying to extrapolate price curves from spreadsheets.

Call me naive, but I don't see this as the end of onsite EMH. I could be wrong.
I agree they may just be trying to get the best of both worlds - keeping enough EMHs so room occupancy doesn't fall, while trying to extract a little more cash from off-site guests.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Can we blame the park in China for this too?

Is that park going to be the parent of several money grabs?

intheATL

Well, according to the Disney World website, it says "Check in at 7pm" at the Main Entrance. To me, that is like getting in at 4pm for MNSSHP and MVMCP. So, IF you can indeed enter at 7pm, and park is closing at 10pm to regular guests, you are then getting 6 hours in the park (plus ice cream, drinks, whatever else they decide to include after 10pm). I'm sorry, but I would give it a shot for that as opposed to just 3 hours. Then again, we're not a 'family' - it's just myself and my grown daughter who each pay our own way, so it's a lot more appealing to people like us!

The thing I DO have issue with is how long it will take to really clear the park. If it is supposed to feel like a private event, it's going to be really irritating to find that loads of people have jumped in line for rides at 9:55. It will take the better part of an hour if not more to get everyone who doesn't have a ticket out of the park.

devoy1701

By potentially phasing out EMH as it's known for open-to-anyone upcharge access only.

On top of your $15 resort fees....

:banghead:

We've been back to being APers for 2 years (after a 4 year hiatus). We've already decided not to renew. Our last trip in Feb we stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress which cost us the same amount as it would have to stay at Port Orleans (before they even implement the new resort fee!). If they're now eliminating EMH. I have a feeling that we'll be priced out of where we're willing to pay by the time we decide to renew our APs. Maybe they see this as a way to capture the crowd that isn't staying on-property as the new vacation rental neighborhoods and other timeshares gain footing. Anyway, it's a shame.

BTW: now would be a good time to implement some sort of FP+ advantage to those staying onsite. Even a tiered system based on which resort you're staying at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom