Disney’s Q3 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So we should expect Disneyland to be down in 4 years? I know these parks aren't apples to apples, but Olympic events and all are scattered and not all surrounding the theme park. Just seems like an excuse for a park that doesn't get much attendance to begin with, speaking of Paris.
Room bookings for an Olympic city are booked as far in advanced as possible and fill up. No rooms available for people who just want to go to DLP.

doctornick

So we should expect Disneyland to be down in 4 years? I know these parks aren't apples to apples, but Olympic events and all are scattered and not all surrounding the theme park. Just seems like an excuse for a park that doesn't get much attendance to begin with, speaking of Paris.

I wouldn't think as much given that DL draws a lot of local/regional visitors that probably wouldn't be deterred by the Olympics - unlike Paris where guests come from all over Europe as a much larger percentage.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The 3% increase in Domestic DPEP is $171MM.

I would bet a churro that year-over-year Genie+/ILL sales increases is the single largest component of that $171MM.

The question that didn't get asked is whether that's sustainable.
Of course it's sustainable! Parks are good, pricing is fine, cruise line is bonkers, park demand will recover soon. ;)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are a couple Disney Experiences slides from the presentation deck:

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 9.16.11 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 9.03.43 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 9.04.39 AM.png

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Presumably everyone visiting is attending the olympic venues and ignoring DLP, and nobody else wants to travel there because the city is mobbed.
Ask anybody who was in Southern California in 1984, and they’ll have stories of how everybody was prepared for the worst traffic they’d ever seen during the LA Olympics, but it ended up being far lighter than average because locals stayed home, Olympic folks stuck to the Olympic sites, and non-Olympic tourists stayed away. A similar phenomenon occurred with 2011’s heavily-publicized “carmageddon” weekend closure of part of the 405 freeway; everybody heeded the warnings and stayed home, and traffic flowed better than normal. Summer 1985 was especially empty at Disneyland (despite the Anaheim Convention Center across the street being a host venue), since few of the Olympic visitors were willing to spend a full day at a relatively expensive theme park, when there were plenty of cheaper, shorter-duration sights to see during their random bits of free time.

Of course, left unsaid in Bob’s response about Paris in 2024 is that the exact same thing will most likely happen again in Anaheim in 2028. But then again, Bob has always been a particularly shortsighted leader, so this shouldn’t surprise anybody.

doctornick

Can someone who understands better explain to me how streaming is doing? On one hand this looks like a profit for the quarter:

1723035976103.png

But elsewhere this looks like a loss for Direct to Consumer:

1723036077335.png

Obviously there are some different things being included but can someone explain the difference?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yes. I think that at this point their goal is to keep subs where they are as much as possible while increasing what they are charging and they feel that will enable a profit. It seems to me that they have done a good job at retaining customers while increasing prices so I think it is going "according to plan". Doesn't mean they couldn't miscalculate and have the next price increase be the straw that broke the camel's back and loss substantial subscribers.

I do think however that churn isn't as common as people suggest and inertia how things work for a large number of consumers. A lot of people are too lazy to drops and re-add services regularly.
And, as mentioned in one of the answers above, judging DTC based on "subs" can be misleading because:

1. Sub fees can be wildly different depending on territory. E.g, the sub fee in India is less than a dollar. So, sub numbers that change dramatically because of what's happening in India hardly affects the bottom line.

2. How do you count the subs of bundles? If I have the Hulu/D+ bundle, which service counts me as a sub? And this will get trickier with Joint Ventures with non-Disney companies.

3. How do you count ad tiers? An ad tier sub is worth less than a premium tier as far as fees go, tho, the income of advertising could make the ad tier sub *more* profitable. Also, if Disney+ adds FASTs, how do you count that as a 'sub.'

Wall Street stopped counting subs years ago. It's all about "how much profit all together." People who still obsess over sub numbers clearly don't understand the product or the market.

Disstevefan1

The 3% increase in Domestic DPEP is $171MM.

I would bet a churro that year-over-year Genie+/ILL sales increases is the single largest component of that $171MM.

The question that didn't get asked is whether that's sustainable.
Single and multi LL are here to stay and it’s almost pure profit, and with the low number of attractions LL is a MUST purchase, so I assume is sustainable.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Some more details on the dispute between Disney and Comcast over the Hulu valuation:

According to the Disney filing, if NBCU’s appraisal were “deemed to be valid” and a third appraiser’s equity fair-value determination “were consistent with the NBCU’s appraiser’s valuation,” Disney would be required to pay NBCU an additional amount of approximately $5 billion as its share of the difference between the equity fair value and the guaranteed floor value. That suggests that Comcast’s third-party appraisal valued Hulu in the neighborhood of $40.8 billion.

If the third appraiser’s equity fair value determination for Hulu were between the valuations of Disney’s and NBCU’s appraisers, the incremental amount Disney would have to pay would be “between zero and approximately $5 billion.”

The outcome of the Hulu deal arbitration “is uncertain and we cannot reasonably estimate the impact of the arbitration on the appraisal process, and thus any impact on the determination of Hulu’s equity fair value and any additional amount we may be required to pay to acquire NBCU’s interest in Hulu,” Disney noted in the filing.

The two sides have been far apart on the question of Hulu’s market value for months. Comcast CEO Brian Roberts touted Hulu as “a scarce, kingmaker asset” last September, and suggested the “synergies” Hulu would afford a full owner would be worth $30 billion, even before accounting for the value of Hulu itself.

Under the previously set terms of the transaction, the Disney is set to share with NBCU 50% of Disney’s estimated U.S. tax savings resulting from the amortization of the purchase of NBCU’s interest in Hulu, with payments expected to be made primarily over a 15-year period.

Full article at the link below:

JIMMYEDDIE

"At our Experiences segment, we expect that the demand moderation we saw in our domestic businesses in Q3 could impact the next few quarters."

Lol, demand moderation. Hilariously silly phrase. So can we now all agree that Disney itself is admitting that attendance is down and it's not just anecdotal data?
Down and expecting it to continue for a few Q's

Disstevefan1

Nothing in the parks is a "MUST purchase". Especially if attendance continues to be "soft". Don't confuse marketing and Bob-speak around LL with anything based in reality.
Well, yes, LL is only needed if you want to get on a top tier attraction.

I guess if all you want to do is get on two of the unpopular attractions and walk around and buy food and merch, you don't need LL.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Can someone who understands better explain to me how streaming is doing? On one hand this looks like a profit for the quarter:

View attachment 807145

But elsewhere this looks like a loss for Direct to Consumer:

View attachment 807146

Obviously there are some different things being included but can someone explain the difference?
The first includes sports (ESPN+) which makes it net profitable.

The second excludes sports, which shows a deficit without sports.

1723038154707.png

doctornick

Nothing in the parks is a "MUST purchase". Especially if attendance continues to be "soft". Don't confuse marketing and Bob-speak around LL with anything based in reality.

We went late June and didn't get G+ (or ILL) and felt we did fine getting done everything we wanted to. 6 days in the parks. With attendance being light, I don't think the line skip stuff is "needed" if you are familiar with the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom