Disney’s Q3 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

Tha Realest

"At our Experiences segment, we expect that the demand moderation we saw in our domestic businesses in Q3 could impact the next few quarters."

Lol, demand moderation. Hilariously silly phrase. So can we now all agree that Disney itself is admitting that attendance is down and it's not just anecdotal data?
What do the laws of supply and demand suggest they do here? And how does their operating income (prices) factor in?

Increasing supply will cause the equilibrium price to fall. The current equilibrium price, while not optimal from a demand standpoint, is what’s been holding the line revenue wise.

Factor in that “higher guest spending” is likely due to their revenue streams that take advantage of their low capacity offerings, there is a disincentive to increase supply at the parks (parks parks, not DCL parks).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Q: what's up with parks and cruise ships? And sports?

A: Parks' revenue was up 3%. Things are flat, but still profitable.

Sports are OK.

doctornick

But it was called very soft last year, which means it was even softer this year. Keep in mind they are also comparing to last year when they were accelerating the deprecation of the Star Cruiser, so that could be another $100-$300 million (not sure how all that works, way above my knowledge).

Absolutely. I'm actually just a bit surprised at how much the increased charging for things is actually keeping profits fairly decent despite lower occupancy of resorts and lower attendance in the parks. I mean, trends and projections are far from ideal so potentially choppy waters ahead - but having over $2B profit for a quarter in a segment at least allows for a good bit of wiggle room for the impending drops for the segment.

I know Wall St isn't happen when companies make "only" a certain amount of money but being profitable seems more important for the long term health than posting a loss in a given quarter.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Bob: Our product price increases have not produced significant churn, and thus created increased revenue. We're also increasing the attractiveness of the products in content and features.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Third time in two calls Iger has mentioned "recommendation engines" for D+.
They badly need it.

When Disney+ launched ad-free, they didn't care if anyone actually WATCHED because they got the subscription fee either way. Now that they're ad-supported, they need people to actually consume advertising. Netflix' secret sauce is knowing what you'll like next and sticking that content right in front of your face as soon as you finish something.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: how to get DTC up to double digit margins; parks... what's up with pre-sailing costs?

CFO: bundling's been helping, ending password sharing; new pricing

Cruise ships: start-up cost is doubling, but there is positive return

doctornick

Third time in two calls Iger has mentioned "recommendation engines" for D+.

I will say that Disney does lag behind Netflix for this. That is one thing Netflix does very well is making suggestions for something you may not other have heard of or know about that they carry. Which makes the service feel more robust. I feel like with D+, you just keep seeing recommendations for the same things that are mostly well known and not more obscure content on the service.

Also, I really think D+ needs to have some sort of ratings system for things you have watched (to give more accurate recommendations). A "I liked this and want to see more of the same" vs "I didn't like this and don't care to see things related" vs "this was terrible, please remove any reference to it from my profile". So they can know what you like and don't like based on feedback not just what you decided to click on.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: what's up with 'strategic partners'; managing costs

Bob: JV is great and ongoing.

Cost cutting is still being looked at.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So "no significant churn" in D+ means only 200k additional subscribers, mostly overseas? And content is "more attractive"?

Sure Jan GIF

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Parks: what about the softening? Will attendance continue to go down. What's up with per cap.;

CFO: we see current trends continuing.

ABQ

Can someone explain how the Olympics and all the tourism it supposedly brings to a city, ie Paris, causes a negative attendance situation at the Paris theme park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom