Disco Carnotaurus

Bairstow

So... earlier in the thread it was confirmed this is what they do when they are working on the main Carno. Why not bring the ride down for a week to repair it?

Because Animal Kingdom only has 4 real rides. Bringing any of them offline would be a guest satisfaction disaster.

. Is it because it's not a planned thing or just because they truly think that "backup" option is acceptable.HAH!

A bit of both, I assume. Back in 2010 the carnotaurus was down for a scheduled re-skinning. This time it might be an unscheduled malfunction. No idea.

Anyone know how long it'll be like this? Part of me is kind of hoping when we go in December it'll still be setup like this so when everyone looks left I can look straight at the camera and do something goofy. HAH!

No clue, but the previous thread from 2010 indicates that penultimate carnotaurus was down for 2 weeks. This outtage is going on 3 weeks, so who knows.

Does anyone know if the 3 full carnotaurus figures are interchangeable? As in, can they move carno 3 to carno 2 and so forth? I've never heard of the flashing head being used for any spot besides the second-to-last one.

Interesting picture:
This is the final carnotaurus head used during the downhill finale that was added after the ride opened. According to this guy they only had two weeks go build it: http://davesvfx.blogspot.com/2010/10/countdown-to-extinction-dinosaurs-ride.html

CTX_02.jpg

mikenatcity1

So have they moved the camera yet, or are people still being prompted to look to their left (away from the camera) ?

Normal (Impressive, scary Carnotaurus figure):

dinosaur_ride_animal_kingdom.jpg

Early September (floating dinosaur head flashing on and off) :

image.jpg

As of last weekend the camera was still in it's original place. I posed for a goofy picture then I saw a flash on the left and turned while the picture was taken on the right.

ctxak98

Each carnotaurus is differeny so to answer the question, they are not interchangeable. The first carnotaur is actually only half a body and the second one is the only one that moves its legs. The third one I believe is the largest and they all have diffetent ranges of motion to make it easier!

Bairstow

Each carnotaurus is differeny so to answer the question, they are not interchangeable. The first carnotaur is actually only half a body and the second one is the only one that moves its legs. The third one I believe is the largest and they all have diffetent ranges of motion to make it easier!

So is the size of the third one why it has racked up the most downtime?

NearTheEars

It's funny I decided to watch Unlimited Disney World on Netflix today (for about the 5th time) and noticed the imagineer says they purposely developed the ride to be "very dark" so to force a censory overload for riders.

I've taken a spin on it several times and always thought it was fun. Never too dark. Heck your basically in a rainforest in the middle of a meteor shower and the world is ending. I expect it to be a little dark with lots of flashing lights and scary dinosaurs.

That's usually what I experience. Along with a stiff back. Haha.

Still fun, though.

ctxak98

It's funny I decided to watch Unlimited Disney World on Netflix today (for about the 5th time) and noticed the imagineer says they purposely developed the ride to be "very dark" so to force a censory overload for riders.

I've taken a spin on it several times and always thought it was fun. Never too dark. Heck your basically in a rainforest in the middle of a meteor shower and the world is ending. I expect it to be a little dark with lots of flashing lights and scary dinosaurs.

That's usually what I experience. Along with a stiff back. Haha.

Still fun, though.
That's the way I tend to look at it. Its in the dark, in a jungle, with Giant hungry dinosaurs. I find it to be pretty realistic considering we don't actually know how dinosaurs behaved, But I am willing to guess they acted much like tigers and lions do these days...only much bigger!

People who say its too dark and they cant see any detail....have you been in the dark woods at night with nothing but a small flashlight in front of you!? its a pretty accurate portrayal of a dark forest.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster
That's the way I tend to look at it. Its in the dark, in a jungle, with Giant hungry dinosaurs. I find it to be pretty realistic considering we don't actually know how dinosaurs behaved, But I am willing to guess they acted much like tigers and lions do these days...only much bigger!

People who say its too dark and they cant see any detail....have you been in the dark woods at night with nothing but a small flashlight in front of you!? its a pretty accurate portrayal of a dark forest.

In that respect, it's kinda' like Chester and Hester's: they do a fine job of portraying what they want to portray, but what they wanted to portray is lazy and inexpensive.

ctxak98

In that respect, it's kinda' like Chester and Hester's: they do a fine job of portraying what they want to portray, but what they wanted to portray is lazy and inexpensive.
Chester and Hester is Lazy and Inexpensive. Dinosaur might have been lazy on adding plants where you wouldn't be able to see them ANYWAYS! but the ride is far from inexpensive!

The ride has so many things that make the ride worthwhile! The Dinosaurs alone are the best out there still. Jurassic Park at UNI doesn't come close! A lot of rides don't add that much detail as you think when your mostly in the dark! Even Indiana Jones has some dark spots! Same with Forbidden Journey! That's ride has a whole lot of nothing everywhere, But they all use forced perspective. So you only see what they want you to see!

BryceM

Chester and Hester is Lazy and Inexpensive. Dinosaur might have been lazy on adding plants where you wouldn't be able to see them ANYWAYS! but the ride is far from inexpensive!

The ride has so many things that make the ride worthwhile! The Dinosaurs alone are the best out there still. Jurassic Park at UNI doesn't come close! A lot of rides don't add that much detail as you think when your mostly in the dark! Even Indiana Jones has some dark spots! Same with Forbidden Journey! That's ride has a whole lot of nothing everywhere, But they all use forced perspective. So you only see what they want you to see!
We've already discussed this, but I do believe that Jurassic Park River Adventure is a better attraction. The only thing truly holding it back is the condition of the dinosaurs. I just find it to have one of the most climatic ride moments to ever be created. That is, if the final T-Rex is working properly.

Both Jurassic Park River Adventure and DINOSAUR have some... issues with their effects. Jurassic Park with the dinosaurs themselves, and DINOSAUR with the lack of effects and too many being turned off.

ctxak98

Yes we have Discussed this lol. However I find Dinosaur to still be better overall. More realistic ride with Dinosaurs IMO. And I like my Dinosaur rides realistic. The boat aspect doesn't do anything for me! But we can agree to disagree on this one.

I do agree both have there issues on certain things. I wish Dinosaur would turn some of its effects back on but they added a new Green laser effect so....Its a start!

BryceM

Yes we have Discussed this lol. However I find Dinosaur to still be better overall. More realistic ride with Dinosaurs IMO. And I like my Dinosaur rides realistic. The boat aspect doesn't do anything for me! But we can agree to disagree on this one.

I do agree both have there issues on certain things. I wish Dinosaur would turn some of its effects back on but they added a new Green laser effect so....Its a start!
I did like my last ride on DINOSAUR with the new green laser effect. I thought it worked pretty well.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster

I wouldn't say the JP dinos don't come close. The finale T-Rex trumps the finale Carney, and Uni at least doesn't have any dinos that are just OFF like Dinosaur! does. However, I LOVE the dino eating the other at DAK, as well as the fact that there are multiple encounters with the big guys, unlike Uni's ONE. Not to mention Uni has some major issues with their maintenance, just none so bad as turning things completely off.
But with Forbidden Journey having dark spots... What?!? I mean, yeah, they used forced perspective to make sure you look where they want you to look, but it's not like they theme the wall behind your shell on the Little Mermaid attraction or anything. When you have the luxury of FORCING the audience to look in a certain direction, why would you theme what they can't see?

ctxak98

I wouldn't say the JP dinos don't come close. The finale T-Rex trumps the finale Carney, and Uni at least doesn't have any dinos that are just OFF like Dinosaur! does. However, I LOVE the dino eating the other at DAK, as well as the fact that there are multiple encounters with the big guys, unlike Uni's ONE. Not to mention Uni has some major issues with their maintenance, just none so bad as turning things completely off.
But with Forbidden Journey having dark spots... What?!? I mean, yeah, they used forced perspective to make sure you look where they want you to look, but it's not like they theme the wall behind your shell on the Little Mermaid attraction or anything. When you have the luxury of FORCING the audience to look in a certain direction, why would you theme what they can't see?[/qu

Its the exact same thing though just done in a different way. If the ride is at night anyway why do we need to make sure the whole building is covered in fake plants!? To me that doesn't make sense and just something people pick on just to pick on. There is one part that does have just a dark tunnel but Indiana jones has that exact same part...just as detailed. NOTHING.

I am not trying to argue but its detailed pretty well for what you really should be looking at. In terms of the actual dinosaurs not coming anywhere close....I would say the only one in DINOSAUR standards is the final T-Rex. Even that one isn't as good as some of Dinosaurs though. It does beat the final carnotaur head...but I feel like that should just come out of the ride! It should go back to being an asteroid headed towards you! More thrilling...

ctxak98

Its the exact same thing though just done in a different way. If the ride is at night anyway why do we need to make sure the whole building is covered in fake plants!? To me that doesn't make sense and just something people pick on just to pick on. There is one part that does have just a dark tunnel but Indiana jones has that exact same part...just as detailed. NOTHING.
I am not trying to argue but its detailed pretty well for what you really should be looking at. In terms of the actual dinosaurs not coming anywhere close....I would say the only one in DINOSAUR standards is the final T-Rex. Even that one isn't as good as some of Dinosaurs though. It does beat the final carnotaur head...but I feel like that should just come out of the ride! It should go back to being an asteroid headed towards you! More thrilling...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom