Dinosaur, scariest ride at WDW?

surfsupdon

And I never found AE scary in the least bit. It was neat, yes, but not overly scary. A lot of the side comments from fake audience members kind of ruined the "scariness" factor for me driving the show almost into silliness.

But it was very well executed, and the new Stitch isn't the least bit of anything positive for me.

the-reason14

I know personally Dinosaur scared the living daylights out of me when I first rode it, I dont really find it scary anymore because I know the layout pretty good and the effects when something is or isnt suppose to happen. But I can definately see why people would be fearful of it, or atleast get scared when they first take off on the ride. They dont really know whats going to happen to them. Unfortunately Ive never been on AE, so I cant really comment on its scare factor by experience but I can by from what Ive seen and heard, and it looked like it would have scared me more than dinosaur.

But like someone else said, what may scare one person may not scare another. I personally dont get really intimidated by rollercoasters, but if its a new disney indoor ride that I cant see, its more apt to scare me then those.

cm1988

When friends who are new to Dinosaur want to ride, I'll sometimes warn them "Keep telling yourself - no one has ever been injured by a mechanical dinosaur at Disney." Or if they're the less-fragile type, I'll keep my mouth shut and let them experience the fear. But honestly, that's what I tell myself as the finale approaches.

I think the reason the Dinosaur finale frightens again and again, while the Jurassic Park finale gets you just the first time, is storytelling. Kudos, imagineers!

Cinderella1976

My daughers and I (ages 10 & 5) went on Dinosaur for the first time this month and we were scared to death. We were in the front of the vehicle and we were the ONLY people on there - which I think made it worse. My eyes were closed the whole time and my 10 year old came out crying, but my 5 year old was a trooper! I never saw the finale can someone tell me what happens. Thanks!

Shaman

I used to be terrified of elevators (in real life, going more than 4 floors) and I was claustophobic. I tried the Tower of Terror because my friends said that I had to see the effects. Now that is one of my favorite rides. So.... try it once, you don't have to do it again, if you don't like it. But maybe it will open a whole new world to you.

I think thats great advice for WDW visitors (especially fans)....I hate the dropping feeling; but was determined to ride ToT...and did...of course I'll never ride it again...However, I did experience it and as a result I can say I've been on every ride at WDW...as a fan should.

:dazzle: :lol:

Everyone has different fears, so everything wont be equally scary to all.

Great point and post! Welcome aboard! :wave:

Dinosaur is scary. The feeling of catapulting through the unknown in the dark with the sudden startling revelation of something that might eat you is scary. No the dinos aren't real, we all know that but we go the the world to suspend belief or reality so in those terms it is scary. I love that ride.

Rosenrot

I agree that this ride scared me - and rides don't normally. But it was scary in a FUN way, like horror movies with friends is scary in a FUN way xDD

...the end was definitely the scariest o_O Plummeting down the hill with the dinosaur diving over the top - especially if you're sitting in the front row like I was, lol...

lilclerk

I am terrified of spiders, and this thread is making me re-consider whether I want to go on It's Tough To Be A Bug :lol:

I will though. I will just end up being one of those hysterically crying children.

Pete C

ToT is hands down the scariest ride at WDW. Not only do the drops scare most people, but the gardens, lobby, story, boiler room, and ride sequence all lend to the creepy atmosphere.

Dinosaur is just fun to me, but not really scary until the final dinosaur. They really need to work on that pterodactyl. Shining a spotlight on a motionless figure is not exactly what I would call terrifying. Have that thing swoop down and screech loudly. Now that's adding flavor to taste.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Dinosaur is just fun to me, but not really scary until the final dinosaur. They really need to work on that pterodactyl. Shining a spotlight on a motionless figure is not exactly what I would call terrifying. Have that thing swoop down and screech loudly. Now that's adding flavor to taste.
They illuminate the pterodactyl now? I thought the lighting was turned off ever since the `swoop` mechanism was disabled?

Another sign of the times; after all these years you`d have thought the mechansim would have been updated to be safe and reliable, or the figure would have been removed from the ride and the script; not just left motionless.

nibblesandbits

Yep...this thread is definitely not making me want to ride Dinosaur...things popping out at you, being in the dark, the fear of the unknown, and dinosaurs...all things that are present on this ride...all things that terrify the crap outta me!

So for those of you who don't believe Dinosaur is scary...trust me...just the concept of it is scary for some people, myself included.

Nicole220

There are only two rides that scare me: the first being Dinosaur. I was so scared when that dinosaur popped out at me!
The second ride that scares me is Snow White in DL...the witch appears like, 6-7 times in the whole ride and scares me every time!
Indiana Jones used to scare me when I was little, but I've gotten used to it now.

MickeyJman06

i am 29 years old, and Dinosaur scared the bejezus out of me. I actually had nightmares about it. In my opinion AE has nothing on Dinosaur. I'm going back in a couple weeks, and would LOVE to go on it again, but I'm going to be shaking like a little girl before i get on that rover!!! It's the only thing at WDW or DL that, to me, is truly scary.
you're kinda right. since it is in the top 5 scary rides i might not ride it anymore

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Well, now that we have explored the ride, did anyone listen to the sound I put up on the web? I captured it in binaural, so get your headphones ready. Adjust the first sequence to be just slightly louder than a speaking voice, and then try your best not to touch the volume the rest of the trip. This audio should give you an idea of the ride, without the dinosaurs in view. I'm very interested to know if others like my audio, I have tons to share. However, if no one wants it, that saves me from editing and posting it.

Thanks,
Ryan

http://server.ipartyradio.com/~rdour/audio/dinosaur.m4a

art vandelay

wow, i can easily say that alien encounter was really scary, but yeah, i have seen many kids exit line crying in dinosaur, but i love that ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There again, if kids went on AE and cried it served their parents right (sore subject with a lot of board members)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom