Dinosaur Change?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks MythBuster. Very interesting, in particular about the original horizon laser - I didn`t know that. I`ve a 2000 CTX vid that has the ball finale (and I don`t think the head.... I`ll have to check it out again)

EpcotServo

Thanks MythBuster. Very interesting, in particular about the original horizon laser - I didn`t know that. I`ve a 2000 CTX vid that has the ball finale (and I don`t think the head.... I`ll have to check it out again)

Ooooooo!!! could you maybe give that little clip a YouTube/GoogleVideo Upload? I've never heard of this ending, and it eludes my memory...

imagineer boy

Many shows in the WS and attractions around many parks are too loud and cause hearing damage. As a professional musician, I can guarantee the volume on some movies without a doubt needs to be turned down.

But Dinosaur kicks butt anyway. :)

I don't know why it is, but there are many Disney attractions with the volume up too loud ( and I have a small hearing loss, so its pretty bad :lol:). As a matter of fact, I went on Mr. Toad at DL and of all the sounds, the loudest, most ear piercing noises on the ride was the sheep! They made quite possibly the loudest "baaas" I've ever heard.

Skip

I knew about the lasers and turned off Pteranadon AA and such, but I had no idea the final Cartonosaur head wasn't always there. That actually makes sense - I visited the ride in `98, but didn't get back there til `06. On the `06 ride I literally screamed at the oncoming finale Cartonosaur seeing as I didn't recall it being there.

Does anyone have a video of the original finale? I'd love to see it.

-Skip

Jerm

I knew about the lasers and turned off Pteranadon AA and such
-Skip

Ok someone else has to back me up on this one...the Pteranadon is not an AA nor has it ever moved. It is just a lighting effect that makes it seem like it is swooping down at you. It is just a dino on a stick really

J

EpcotServo

Ok someone else has to back me up on this one...the Pteranadon is not an AA nor has it ever moved. It is just a lighting effect that makes it seem like it is swooping down at you. It is just a dino on a stick really

J

Nope, sorry. It's on a track. It orginally would launch forward like 10 feet as you descend, then reset back. But like the "Shooting Poacher" car across the park, it's not budged for ages.
:brick:

Rob562

Servo's right. It did originally swoop.
And the compy's also used to jump across the track, but I haven't seen them moving in a number of years.

Anyone know if they've fixed that one red light in the finale scene that's been stuck on since at least June?

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ll be taking notes in July ;)

Sorry Jerm; the guys are right. Here`s a pic showing some of the Pteranadons track, and also the Composgnathus on their guide wires when they used to move:

Attachments

• dinosnap.jpg
    dinosnap.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 362

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I remember the ride being a lot harsher when I first rode it... of course that may have been because that was when the park first opened...
I may have grown a bit since then.
And I agree, that ride (along with others) is WAY too loud. This is coming from a 20-year-old male that listens to his music so the bass shakes my headphones.

Jerm

I`ll be taking notes in July ;)

Sorry Jern; the guys are right. Here`s a pic showing some of the Pteranadons track, and also the Composgnathus on their guide wires when they used to move:

Thanks guys! I guess I am going off the "never seeing it move" thinking that it never did move.

Martin you are the man! How many more days?

dxwwf3

Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that the ball finale was done in soft openings and that the current dino head ending has been in place since 1998. I'm almost 100% sure that I've only seen the current ending and I've ridden since the summer of 98.

Also, yes it has been toned down since the attraction opened. It is my understanding that Indy at Disneyland has been toned down since it opened as well, but as they currently are, Indy is much more thrilling than Dino is, IMO.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that the ball finale was done in soft openings and that the current dino head ending has been in place since 1998.
No, I`m not sure!

I`m a bit confused now between rolling ball and orange, glowing ball effect in the sky.

Jerm; 2 weeks right now we should be heading onto finals for MCO...

Hopefully!

I think I get my confusion - the orange, circular glow there now is what I thought was the `ball` - okay, it is round, but only a lighting effect not a physical object as I assume you mean the `ball` was.

This is as far back as I can go; March 1999. The first frame shows the circular glow effect and the laser portal (sigh). The second the head.

Attachments

• CTX march 99.jpg
    CTX march 99.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 113

dxwwf3

No, I`m not sure!

I`m a bit confused now between rolling ball and orange, glowing ball effect in the sky.

Jerm; 2 weeks right now we should be heading onto finals for MCO...

Hopefully!

It would interesting to know how that finale progressed.

Also I'm leaving tonight for a 9 day trip at WDW and I'm going back down on July 10 for another week. I'll keep an eye out for the retro Epcot shirts :lol:

MythBuster

I think people are confusing the finale at Indy with CTX/Dino. The big ball rolling towards you at the finale is at Indy in DL. CTX had a lighting effect above the vehicle which looked like a big orange ball (like a meteor) which crashed ahead of you. Originally, the meteor crash was the finale, along with heated air blasts and a lot of smoke and a big red flash from a laser. But they couldn't get to work as planned and when Eisner rode the ride, he really was disappointed by the finale and made them change it, either make the effect work right or change it to something more exciting.

And that was before cast previews, so there was only a few people who saw the original ending, they worked every night after cast previews to add the Carno head at the end. So the finale Carno has been there since pre-opening 98.

And not only did the Mother Ceradactylus swoop down on you before you went down the hill, it also took a leak on you. But that was shut off also.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Quite a story about the ending then!

I always thought it was bit of an anit-climax, now I know why. Imagine what could be done today with lasers, misers and digital projection!

Afterall, they can have you overtake a flailing meteor and have a projected Super Nova explode next to a rollercoaster car, knocking it off course in Paris!

Jerm

Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that the ball finale was done in soft openings and that the current dino head ending has been in place since 1998. I'm almost 100% sure that I've only seen the current ending and I've ridden since the summer of 98.

I think people are confusing the finale at Indy with CTX/Dino. The big ball rolling towards you at the finale is at Indy in DL. CTX had a lighting effect above the vehicle which looked like a big orange ball (like a meteor) which crashed ahead of you. Originally, the meteor crash was the finale, along with heated air blasts and a lot of smoke and a big red flash from a laser. But they couldn't get to work as planned and when Eisner rode the ride, he really was disappointed by the finale and made them change it, either make the effect work right or change it to something more exciting.

And that was before cast previews, so there was only a few people who saw the original ending, they worked every night after cast previews to add the Carno head at the end. So the finale Carno has been there since pre-opening 98.

And not only did the Mother Ceradactylus swoop down on you before you went down the hill, it also took a leak on you. But that was shut off also.

I went on it in Aug of 98 and had the meteor crash. I don't know the first time I saw the Carno head, but I do know it was not part of the show at least the first time I went on the attraction. The head is really lame, that really is a "Dino on a stick" and while the meteor was not the best thing it was better IMHO.

testtracker

Just rode Dinosaur today, and was almost positive that there were some new changes. There was a pause when the head comes at you at the end which i'm sure is new, and the large iguanadon AA at the end also looks new. Anyone else have any info on this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom