Dinosaur Change?

imagineer boy

They really need to change it back to Countdown to Extinction and get rid of all the Dinosaur film references because the movie wasn't a success and people don't care about it anymore.

Green Lantern

I agree with them needing to change the name back to Countdown to Extinction. It has a much cooler feel to it and makes more sense with the ride. I like the movie Dinosaur, but I think the other time fits better themeatically.

Jerm

I agree with them needing to change the name back to Countdown to Extinction. It has a much cooler feel to it and makes more sense with the ride. I like the movie Dinosaur, but I think the other time fits better themeatically.

Aladar has been in CTX/Dino since opening day in both the opening and closing video. The only real major change over the years have been the change from the metor hitting at the end to the lame Cartanosaur (sp?) coming at you at the very end and the area in the front going from a pool of water to a planter (cause people would use it as a pool) and from a Tric to Aladar.

1251910561_efd874d454.jpg

878496935_acb1a874ee.jpg

2121817620_f7bdbb5e4a.jpg

I was on the attraction a few months after it opened and have gone on it countless number of times since.

SeaBreeze

Aladar has been in CTX/Dino since opening day in both the opening and closing video. The only real major change over the years have been the change from the metor hitting at the end to the lame Cartanosaur (sp?) coming at you at the very end and the area in the front going from a pool of water to a planter (cause people would use it as a pool) and from a Tric to Aladar.

I was on the attraction a few months after it opened and have gone on it countless number of times since.

There have also been changes on some laser effects. :)

colleen2997

That ride has not changed one bit, thankfully, It is one of my family's favorite rides and we ride it repeatedly. Last I rode was October and it was exactly the same as it always was, bumpy, dark, LOUD and that dino eating the other dino is still there.

kmdisney

I have never had a chance to ride Dinosaur. I have wanted to, but something has always sidetracked us and we end up not getting to it at AK. I am not a huge fan of roller coasters. Is this ride just bumpy and jerky or does it have roller coaster type hills?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There have also been changes on some laser effects. :)
Not changes; more deactivated rather than fix - the time portals and the Dino-net looked amazing when they worked, but we`ve discussed this in depth elsewhere ;)
The only real major change over the years have been the change from the metor hitting at the end to the lame Cartanosaur (sp?) coming at you at the very end..
I`m a bit fuzzy from last year (but will rectify this in a few weeks :D ) - the meteor at the end - was it the orange ball in the sky above the ride vehicle travelling in the same direction as you but faster? I ask since I saw both this and the dino-head in 2001.

Raychul

Original Poster
I have never had a chance to ride Dinosaur. I have wanted to, but something has always sidetracked us and we end up not getting to it at AK. I am not a huge fan of roller coasters. Is this ride just bumpy and jerky or does it have roller coaster type hills?

No scary roller coaster type hills. You are in like a Jeep that traveled back thru time to Dinosaur age. It is very bumpy and jerky, but this is to simulate a Jeep in a rough and rocky environment. I love it and I am glad to be hearing that's it's still just as great as I remember it!

Eyorefan

I just wanted to chime in...

I wish I could tell you if it's changed but, well, even though I've been on this attraction MANY times since it first opened...

I've only opened my eyes through the whole thing once. The first time. It's silly, I know, and I KNOW they're just AA's, but those are some scary AA's!

I do tend to start closing my eyes as soon as that dino starts eating the other dino though, and that was there the last time I rode it in August!

My mom bought the picture of my sister and I riding it together for the first time. I think I was like 21 and she was 22 at the time. In the picture we are both doing the "duck and cover". :lol:

That thing is scary. Like you, I know those things are just AA's, but I have never ridden it with my eyes open. My DD is less scared than me!

Jerm

I`m a bit fuzzy from last year (but will rectify this in a few weeks :D ) - the meteor at the end - was it the orange ball in the sky above the ride vehicle travelling in the same direction as you but faster? I ask since I saw both this and the dino-head in 2001.

You have the photo spot to the right with the Carnotaurus then as you are pulling toward the "drop"/laser effect portal you have the head come shooting out at you for the last "blast". When it opened it would have the large ball (kinda Indy like but not as big) coming at you looking like it was about to hit you, then you get transported. This worked better with the storyline because you get out just before the meteor hits. I have no clue when or why this changed but people have had this talk a few times before....here is a post from 2005 where someone else remembers the head/meteor change over also. Plus talk of a video that Martin will want to track down I am sure....first post on this page http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=32959&highlight=Carnotaurus&page=2

hemloc

What they really need to change is that stupid angle on the camera that takes your pics. I mean, what the heck are people looking at?!??! The camera should be in the dino's mouth so you are looking at it doing the whole EEK!!!!! thing:eek: when it snaps your pic... Seriously!!

SeaBreeze

Not changes; more deactivated rather than fix - the time portals and the Dino-net looked amazing when they worked, but we`ve discussed this in depth elsewhere ;)

Yes, I know but in the interest of avoiding bringing up that discussion again, I just said they changed. They were once there, now they're not. It's different, therefore a change :lol:

I definitely agree that they were amazing. Then again, so much of this attraction is amazing IMO :)

MythBuster

Yes, the meteor above you at the finale is still there. So are the air blasts and smoke. They are there from the original finale. There was originally heated air blasts and a lot more smoke and a laser that was showing the horizon glowing red and then the impact and then it did a quick spread spectrum. The problem was they couldn't get enough smoke in there fast enough consistently and then have it dissipate. The laser effect wasn't that good without enough smoke to reflect off of.

So when they changed the finale to the Carno head, then they moved the laser to Iggy.

rcapolete

I remeber the first time i rode this ride. It was still called Count Down to Exstintion. The sign was just a canvas Banner basically. WE had no idea what was inside the building since AK had just opened. We thought i was actually a show not a ride, when we got to the loading are we were blown away by the cars that where there. IT is still the greatest first time on a ride that i have ever had and i go on any and all rides that i can.

imagineer boy

Another thing they should do if they wanna change it: Could they please just turn down the volume a little bit? The time travel section, the carnataur, its just too loud. I really hate having to cover my ears through the whole ride.

kristalovesWDW

i was there a month ago. it was really quick and VERY loud (that's what she said). i have a picture of me going on it for the very first time (yes, i JUST went on it for the first time a month ago!) and I was TERRIFIED the whole time. And I'm 20 years old. Hahah. So it's pretty intense. I don't have anything to compare it to, since, like I said, it was my first time.

DisneyMusician2

Another thing they should do if they wanna change it: Could they please just turn down the volume a little bit? The time travel section, the carnataur, its just too loud. I really hate having to cover my ears through the whole ride.

Many shows in the WS and attractions around many parks are too loud and cause hearing damage. As a professional musician, I can guarantee the volume on some movies without a doubt needs to be turned down.

But Dinosaur kicks butt anyway. :)

teebin

One reason your friend might have thought they removed the Dino eating the Dino is when that AA breaks down, they shut off all spotlights aimed at it. It hides it quite well unless you know where it is and look back over your shoulder as you pass. I have only seen it shut off and unlit once or twice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom