Dining Plan Changes

RiversideBunny

Not everyone is unhappy about the demise or changes to the DDP..... As someone who found it virtually impossible to get a reservation without planning 180 days in advance .....

I think that if less people use the DDP, because they don't like the new pricing and features, then less people will be making ADR's so far in advance. Maybe then more spontaneous dining will be possible.

:drevil:

erasure fan1

Rumored 2008 DDP (no appetizers, no tip. Used same spreadsheet, deleted the app and tip lines)
Cost of food if paying out-of-pocket: $314.84
Cost of DDP: $265.93
Savings: $48.91, or ~15.5%

So there you have it, one person's calculations on how the new Dining Plan will affect prices and savings. It seems as if it is less of a savings, but it's still a savings. And it's also about equivalent to the DDE.
A savings yes but one you will have to pay a bit more attention to so it stays a savings. that $49 bucks can go away in a heart beat. The brown dirby is 2 credits for diner (entrees average $25 so its not a huge value for 2 credits) so you will have to pay out of pocket on another day. If you do a some lunches that also decreases the savings because lunch entrees are an average of $15 or less at a lot of places. The changes will benefit Disney in a big way. People dont use all the snacks and counter service all the time. I cant see how you would find this a deal (unless you normally do sit down meals everyday) and that we have never done.

JWG

While I'm waiting until I hear something official on the actual changes to the DDP, I thought I'd throw some numbers out there to give some example of what the changes will mean.

Background: Earlier this year, I started giving the DDP a thorough look. Some friends and I were planning on going to WDW during the Free Dining promo (alas, that trip has since been cancelled). Went so far as to poll my friends and make ADRs for our Table Service meals. (And yes, I canceled my ADRs like a good Guest :) )
Then I started looking at going next May and possibly paying for the DDP, and also compare it to the DDE, as I may have an Annual Pass then. So I took my Sept ADRs, looked at menus for the Table Service, Counter Service meals and Snacks, figured out what I'd realistically order (rather than just ordering the most expensive thing on the menu), factor in tip and tax, and came up with numbers. (For ease of arguement, I didn't factor alcoholic beverages in at all, nor the initial cost of the DDE)

Also not sure if the bit I got from the weekly AllEars newsletter today made it into the discussion, the 2008 DDP would be decreased by $1 per day.

The following is for a 7-night trip. (So 7 TS, 7 CS and 7 snacks)

2007 DDP:
Cost of food if paying out-of-pocket: $394.73
Cost of DDP: $272.93
Savings: $121.80, or ~31%

Cost if using DDE discount: $345.53
Savings of DDP over DDE: $72.60

Rumored 2008 DDP (no appetizers, no tip. Used same spreadsheet, deleted the app and tip lines)
Cost of food if paying out-of-pocket: $314.84
Cost of DDP: $265.93
Savings: $48.91, or ~15.5%

Cost if using DDE discount: $273.19
Savings of DDP over DDE: $7.26

Also note that the 18% tips for the 2008 Table Service meals would be about $42, so that would be an additional expense, but not factored into the savings because it would have to be paid either way.

So there you have it, one person's calculations on how the new Dining Plan will affect prices and savings. It seems as if it is less of a savings, but it's still a savings. And it's also about equivalent to the DDE.

If anyone has further questions about how I came up with my numbers, send me a PM.

-Rob

I'm assuming this is an apples to apples comparison, meaning you priced paying menu price for the same items that would have been included on the DDP? I would guess there is big savings if your eating habits are the same either way.

We realized savings by not using the DDP (of only about $30 for 2 people), but that's because we ate differently than we would have on the DDP.

lewisc

I'll fix the labor contract. I just won't leave a tip. I'll leave a behind card saying, you can thank your Union Contract for this note instead of a tip :lookaroun

Some of the posts in this thread are giving readers the wrong impression. Disney, not the union, insisted on removing the included tip. The servers, and union, would have been happy to keep the present policy. The union contract covers more then just servers and there wasn't anything the servers could have done.

Disney "gave the servers" an automatic 18% gratuity, of course paid by the guest, for parties of 6 or more. Disney also "gave the servers" an automatic 18% gratuity, also paid by the guest, on the pre-discounted price on checks that had a DDE discount applied to them. This is suppose to be enough to compensate for reduced tips from DDP guests.

Guests can "fix the labor contract" by not purchasing the dining plan, and telling Disney the removal of the included tip is the reason. Guests who cancel an existing 2008 reservation, for the same reason, may have an impact.

I'm not sure how stiffing a server accomplishes anything.

JWG

Some of the posts in this thread are giving readers the wrong impression. Disney, not the union, insisted on removing the included tip. The servers, and union, would have been happy to keep the present policy. The union contract covers more then just servers and there wasn't anything the servers could have done.

Disney "gave the servers" an automatic 18% gratuity, of course paid by the guest, for parties of 6 or more. Disney also "gave the servers" an automatic 18% gratuity, also paid by the guest, on the pre-discounted price on checks that had a DDE discount applied to them. This is suppose to be enough to compensate for reduced tips from DDP guests.

Guests can "fix the labor contract" by not purchasing the dining plan, and telling Disney the removal of the included tip is the reason. Guests who cancel an existing 2008 reservation, for the same reason, may have an impact.

I'm not sure how stiffing a server accomplishes anything.

Very true.
I can't see how the servers would want the automatic tip removed. That had to be a Disney initiated change - it means Disney gets all the DDP money instead of having to give it back to the server. Unfortunately, because its part of the labor contract getting it changed isn't as easy as just making the change. You can't make changes to a bargaining unit without the bargaining unit being involved (unless their is language that allows for arbitrary changes I don't know about).

Funny, Universal's "eat all day for one price" is only $19.99. I get the options for restaurants is VERY limited - but you're also paying 1/2 the price. Disney's plan is by far better, but you're paying a huge premium for that.

lewisc

According to some servers on DIS Disney made removal of the included tip as a non-negotiable demand. Striking isn't really a viable threat and the servers are only a small part of the union members who vote on the contract. It probably is a simple as Disney saying the automatic tip is off the table what can we do to compensate. The servers got the automatic tip added to parties of 6 or more and DDE checks in exchange for deleting the included tip.

Talk about "spin control". I can't believe the number of posters who seem to think this was a union idea.

Very true.
I can't see how the servers would want the automatic tip removed. That had to be a Disney initiated change - it means Disney gets all the DDP money instead of having to give it back to the server. Unfortunately, because its part of the labor contract getting it changed isn't as easy as just making the change. You can't make changes to a bargaining unit without the bargaining unit being involved (unless their is language that allows for arbitrary changes I don't know about).

Funny, Universal's "eat all day for one price" is only $19.99. I get the options for restaurants is VERY limited - but you're also paying 1/2 the price. Disney's plan is by far better, but you're paying a huge premium for that.

DisneyJoe

My sources told me that the servers weren't happy with the way that the gratuity from the plan was being distributed, mostly due to 2 things:

1 - that money was not paid to them in a timely fashion, unlike the way gratuity was paid to them pre-DDP;

2 - once it was paid to them, it was paid to them via their paycheck and thus subject to taxation.

This made many servers not happy with the DDP.

Buried20KLeague

My sources told me that the servers weren't happy with the way that the gratuity from the plan was being distributed, mostly due to 2 things:

1 - that money was not paid to them in a timely fashion, unlike the way gratuity was paid to them pre-DDP;

2 - once it was paid to them, it was paid to them via their paycheck and thus subject to taxation.

Now THAT would make complete sense.

DisneyWood

Well, after reading the majority of this post, we may not be including the dining option after all. Will the changes be made when the 2008 packages come out?

This is just disappointing, if this comes to fruition. :(

sillykid

Great Points. I know from once being in the industry that servers work this job so they can have cash in hand. Not so they can see it at a later date. Also the wage for servers in low and when they get that paycheck it's like a little bonus.
Most servers claim a percentage of thier sales, say 10%, but that number is usually less then what they actual made. with the DDP every penny of those tips is being claimed and gets taxed on like you said.
My curiosity asks, what do they say a sit down meal costs. Do they calculate it at full price? No way. They say that with the snacks and meals that maybe that meal cost $12-$15. That way when they had a pre-arranged tip % they could do it iff this low amount. The servers i'm sure hated the plan.

JimboJones123

I hate it when I have to follow the law.... :mad:

Disneyfalcon

My curiosity asks, what do they say a sit down meal costs. Do they calculate it at full price? No way. They say that with the snacks and meals that maybe that meal cost $12-$15. That way when they had a pre-arranged tip % they could do it iff this low amount. The servers i'm sure hated the plan.

Actually the tips weren't based on a preset amount, they were based on how much your meal would have cost. Therefore on the dining plan you're often encouraged to get the most expensive thing on the menu, get dessert even when you're full, etc. Then the tip goes up.

JimboJones123

:lol: I thought the same thing!!
It was always upsetting when I followed the rules and most servers would put the automatic 7% of sales required where I worked. This stung me later when I'd have days w/bad tips and was still required to claim 7% even if I only made $8 for the day. I had to keep a tally to re adjust on my tips myself. Darn me for being a rules kind of person.

Disneyfalcon

It was always upsetting when I followed the rules and most servers would put the automatic 7% of sales required where I worked. This stung me later when I'd have days w/bad tips and was still required to claim 7% even if I only made $8 for the day. I had to keep a tally to re adjust on my tips myself. Darn me for being a rules kind of person.

As someone who's husband is in the Air Force and whose salary is paid by the government (i.e. taxes), I always appreciate rule abiding citizens who pay their taxes properly!:D

bhg469

Yeah that has to be a damper having to claim it on your taxes but it is the law. Everyone else pays based on what they made that year why should it be different for them?

fyn

Yeah that has to be a damper having to claim it on your taxes but it is the law. Everyone else pays based on what they made that year why should it be different for them?

If that were the case, they'd have to change the minimum wage laws for waitstaff. I think its somewhere around $3-5/hour.

bhg469

i would think that servers make a killing in disneyworld. At least i have a tendancy to tip higher when i am there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom