Dining Plan Changes

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
From the Virgin Website
enefits of Staying at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel

* Disney Dining Plan
The Disney Dining Plan is an exclusive benefit for Disney Resort hotel guests, offering terrific value on Disney Holidays. It's a fantastic points system that gives complete flexibility to eat meals in any combination from a choice of over 100 WALT DISNEY WORLD restaurants.

The plan offers 2 meals and a snack per night for everyone in the party ages 3 years and over. A table service meal includes 1 starter, 1 main course, 1 dessert and 1 single-serving non-alcoholic beverage, or 1 full buffet and 1 single-serving non-alcoholic beverage.
A counter service meal includes 1 main course, 1 dessert and 1 single-serving non-alcoholic beverage, or 1 complete combo meal with dessert and 1 single-serving non-alcoholic beverage.

A snack includes one of the following: frozen ice-cream bar, popcorn scoop, a piece of fruit, 20oz bottle of coke®, Diet Coke®, Sprite® or 24oz bottle of Dasani® water.

Plus, guests can also enjoy character dining experiences, Disney's fabulous Dinner Shows, or dining in luxury at one of the participating Disney Signature Restaurants.

Terms and Conditions
Advance dining reservations are strongly suggested. All dinner shows require advance dining reservations - show tickets can be aquired through lobby concierge.
The Dining Plan must be booked a minimum of 21 days before departure and is only available on single-centre holidays. Bookings MUST include at least a 5-night stay at a WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort hotel AND Disney tickets, for all people on the booking, both booked through Virgin Holidays. The Disney Dining Plan must be booked for everyone on the booking, for the full duration of their stay. The Disney Dining Plan is only available at selected restaurants; full details can be provided on request. Children 3-9 years must order from the children's menu, where available. Children aged 2 years and under are not eligible for the Dining Plan and must pay locally for any food/drink consumed.
The Dining Plan will not be valid if the above conditions are not compiled with. In these circumstances we reserve the right to alter your booking accordingly.
To book please call us after making your holiday booking, quoting your booking refe

lewisc

I have not heard of that little tidbit of info yet. Do you by chance no the wording of this removal of tips in the contract?

There were extensive threads on DIS, including posts from multiple servers who confirmed the changes. This is was posted per the 2008 contract which was negotiated and approved.
1) DDP will no longer include gratuity.

As part of the negotiations the servers got

2) Automatic tip of 18% will be added for all parties of 6 or more (currently 8 or more). Separate checks or even seperate tables won't get around this.

3) An automatic 18% tip will be added to the pre-discount check for guests using the DDE card.

Several threads on DIS regarding the UK.

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/

Go to the vrigin website and do an availability search for Disney hotels (2008) and add tickets and dining.

Please note: For 2008 departures, the Disney Dining Plan package has been changed. The new dining plan no longer has a starter as part of the table service meal, and gratuities are no longer included in the price.

Several UK posters on DIS, with 2008 reservations, already got communication from Virgin alerting them about the above changes.

edited to add at least one server said Disney reserved the right to include the DDP gratuity, presumably if removal reduced sales more then expected. I doubt Disney went through the aggravation of negotiating with the union unless Disney plans on deleting the included tip.

lewisc

Quote above Lifted straight from the site

Right those are the terms of the current (2007) dining package. I thought we're talking about changes coming in 2008? What is the purpose of quoting the terms of the 2007 plan?

You have to check the rates for 2008 if you want to see the new restrictions. UK posters on DIS with 2008 reservations have already received confirmation regarding the new changes. You can believe me or take the time to check it out yourself.

Go to check availability for a 2008 date, add dining and this comes up under "important information"

For 2008 departures, the Disney Dining Plan package has been changed. The new dining plan no longer has a starter as part of the table service meal, and gratuities are no longer included in the price.

Pumbas Nakasak

Right those are the terms of the current (2007) dining package.

You have to check the rates for 2008 if you want to see the new restrictions. UK posters on DIS with 2008 reservations have already received confirmation regarding the new changes. You can believe me or take the time to check it out yourself.

1 poster on Dis has mentioned this. The 2008 rates on Virgin seem to include the Dinning plan but if you could post the link you have with a different criteria, I have a booking in May.

I have done a serach and the only info on line is here and DIS.

lewisc

1 poster on Dis has mentioned this. The 2008 rates on Virgin seem to include the Dinning plan but if you could post the link you have with a different criteria, I have a booking in May.

I have done a serach and the only info on line is here and DIS.

I'm pretty sure a reservation query link expires.
https:XXXXX

Go to the Virgin site, check Disney availability for 2008, and then read the "important note". I did a cut and paste of the relevent section.

edited to say as I expected the link doesn't work so I XXXd it out. I gave you a cut and paste of the "important information". Either believe me or take the time to check availability in 2008 and look at the important information section.

Would you believe me if I quote the entire section??

Please note: For guests wishing to stay at any Walt Disney World Resort hotel for longer than 21 nights, it will be necessary to check out of your room and then check back in on the 21st night due to Disney's regulations. The Dining Plan must be booked a minimum of 21 days before departure, it is only available on single centre holidays, and is not vaild for wedding packages, or cruise and stay packages. Bookings MUST include at least a 5 night stay at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel AND Disney tickets, for all people on the booking, both booked through Virgin Holidays. The Disney Dining Plan must be booked for everyone on the booking, for the full duration of their stay. The Disney Dining Plan is only available on selected restaurants, full details can be provided on request. Children 3-9 years must order from the children's menu, where available. Children age 2 years and under are not eligible for the Dining Plan and must pay locally for any only food/drink consumed. The Dining Plan will not be vaild if the above conditions are not complied with. In these circumstances we reserve the right to alter your booking accordingly. Please note advanced Dining reservations are strongly suggested. All Dinner shows require advanced dining reservations - show tickets can be acquired through your hotels concierge. Please note: For 2008 departures, the Disney Dining Plan package has been changed. The new dining plan no longer has a starter as part of the table service meal, and gratuities are no longer included in the price.

Ausdaddy

Right those are the terms of the current (2007) dining package. I thought we're talking about changes coming in 2008? What is the purpose of quoting the terms of the 2007 plan?

Go to check availability for a 2008 date, add dining and this comes up under "important information"

It makes no sense for Disney to do this unless they are trying to lessen the DDP take rate. Eliminating gratuity AND dropping the starter? Plus a possible change to the list of snacks? Seems like an awful lot of changes for one year. I'm not arguing the validity, because I have no idea. I would love to see more confirmation, though.

lewisc

The current DDP is a lot more popular then previous plans. Disney may want to reduce the number of guests who purchase the DDP.

I agree the 2008 plan won't be as popular if all the changes go through.

Technically Disney has a list of snacks in the brochure. The $4 rule isn't really part of the plan.

It makes no sense for Disney to do this unless they are trying to lessen the DDP take rate. Eliminating gratuity AND dropping the starter? Plus a possible change to the list of snacks? Seems like an awful lot of changes for one year. I'm not arguing the validity, because I have no idea. I would love to see more confirmation, though.

RiversideBunny

The current DDP is a lot more popular then previous plans. Disney may want to reduce the number of guests who purchase the DDP..

Wasn't the whole point of offfering the current DDP, from Disney's standpoint, to increase the guest levels in the restaurants so the resaurants could benefit from less downtime and volume efficiency?

:)

Pumbas Nakasak

I'm . Either believe me or take the time to check availability in 2008 and look at the important information section.

Would you believe me if I quote the entire section??

I simply asked for the link and explained why I was looking, as I already have made a booking for 08, and it is a significant change.

But hoorrah for you, with that attitude you are todays dobber of the day.

lewisc

Attitude? Look in the mirror. You continued to post 2007 information after I already posted the "important note" for 2008. I gave you the complete "cut and paste" and told you what you have to do to duplicate what I did.

Did you take the time to check availability for 2008?

Don't shoot the messenger. It's possible Disney will change its mind (I doubt it) or will offer a different different dining plan to UK residents (which I also doubt).

I'm still not sure if you think I made up the quote but that's what you implied.

I'm out of this thread. This is several steps above rumor but not is not yet offical, for US guests.

I simply asked for the link and explained why I was looking, as I already have made a booking for 08, and it is a significant change.

But hoorrah for you, with that attitude you are todays dobber of the day.

fyn

Wasn't the whole point of offfering the current DDP, from Disney's standpoint, to increase the guest levels in the restaurants so the resaurants could benefit from less downtime and volume efficiency?

:)

I think one of the unforseen consequences of such a popular DDP was the *lack* of availability in TS restaurants. There are a lot of guests who don't make reservations 5, 4, 3, even 1 day in advance. With the craze that the DDP brought to the restaurants, I'm sure Disney got an earful from guests not happy about being in a park with no table service dinner options. This might be Disney's way of maintaining profitability with the plan, *and* opening up restaurants to guests without reservations, or same day reservations.

Pumbas Nakasak

Attitude? Look in the mirror. You continued to post 2007 information after I already posted the "important note" for 2008. I gave you the complete "cut and paste" and told you what you have to do to duplicate what I did.

Did you take the time to check availability for 2008?

Don't shoot the messenger. It's possible Disney will change its mind (I doubt it) or will offer a different different dining plan to UK residents (which I also doubt).

I'm still not sure if you think I made up the quote but that's what you implied.

I'm out of this thread. This is several steps above rumor but not is not yet offical, for US guests.

I posted 2007 info cause that’s what was on the site. at the link you posted

I asked for a link cause no matter what I followed or searched you end up back at the 2007 data., no conspiracy more an acceptance that I must be missing something The only way you get the 08 item is to go through the booking process, I now understand this is what you meant by checking availability.

I also pointed out that all the posted stories link to one initial post, and they feed off each other. It is nice to see something in black and white as I can now try and contact someone in Virgin.

Was more bothered about the diminishing value of DP than disputing your post, but your choice of words from the outset should have alerted me to the fact that anything you post is the law & beyond contestation free from error or requests for clarification.

Spit Spot

Dwarful

I suspect changes to the basic DDP will reduce the number of guests who purchase it. I suspect the plan that includes 3 TS meals per day will be priced high enough to limit the number of guests who purchase it.

Don't most DDP try to use their credits for dinner and try to avoid using them for breakfast? A person who has 3 TS meals per day isn't going to have two dinners.

Disney could also see an increase in people using the 'two credit' options (Cinderella's, GG events). I can see more 'Grand Gatherings' doing the GG events that require 2 credits, simply because three sitdowns a day would be too many for many families.

lewisc

My choice of words should have alerted you to the fact that I don't post unless I'm 100% sure of my information. The fact that you couldn't find the section I quoted doesn't mean it's not there.

I wasn't to to continue posting in this thread BUT
From another post I get the idea you're from the UK. Check with your tour operator One poster on DIS priced a hypothetical package and the daily cost is 28 british pounds or around $57. It's not clear if Disney is increasing the price that much, if Virgin is marking up the plan or if someone made a mistake with the currency conversion. The 2007 plan isn't even a great deal at $57.

Again check with your tour operator, Disney has already given information to the UK agencies.

Just my opinion but the majority of guests got a good to great deal with the DDP 2005-2007 but it's questionable if the 2008 plan will be a slam dunk good deal.

Dwarful---The current premium plans don't have two credit meals. You get 3 meals a day in any restaurant; signature, dinner show, regular TS or CS.

Was more bothered about the diminishing value of DP than disputing your post, but your choice of words from the outset should have alerted me to the fact that anything you post is the law & beyond contestation free from error or requests for clarification.

Spit Spot

lentesta

Premium Member
I think one of the unforseen consequences of such a popular DDP was the *lack* of availability in TS restaurants. There are a lot of guests who don't make reservations 5, 4, 3, even 1 day in advance. With the craze that the DDP brought to the restaurants, I'm sure Disney got an earful from guests not happy about being in a park with no table service dinner options....

Agreed. If you've not seen them, World Showcase and some resort restaurants (Jiko, Boma) have standard plastic signs now that say something like "In order to serve our guests with existing reservations, we're not taking walk-up dining requests at this time." Since they've gone to the trouble of having so many signs made, I'm assuming it's (1) a regular occurrence; (2) not going away any time soon. And I'm sure y'all have heard me complain that I couldn't get into Le Cellier 172 days in advance. (Sadly, I did not think to play the "But I'm friends with Lou Mongello" card. :D )

Regarding whether the gratuity will be removed from the plan, it's entirely possible we're wrong. I hope so, as that was my #1 complaint with the proposed changes. The reduction of snack options I can rationalize.

Len

Ausdaddy

Agreed. If you've not seen them, World Showcase and some resort restaurants (Jiko, Boma) have standard plastic signs now that say something like "In order to serve our guests with existing reservations, we're not taking walk-up dining requests at this time." Since they've gone to the trouble of having so many signs made, I'm assuming it's (1) a regular occurrence; (2) not going away any time soon. And I'm sure y'all have heard me complain that I couldn't get into Le Cellier 172 days in advance. (Sadly, I did not think to play the "But I'm friends with Lou Mongello" card. :D )

Regarding whether the gratuity will be removed from the plan, it's entirely possible we're wrong. I hope so, as that was my #1 complaint with the proposed changes. The reduction of snack options I can rationalize.

Len

Thanks Len. I agree with what you said. This thread is the first time I've heard of appetizers/starters being removed. That troubles me more than the snack options.

lewisc

Sounds like the popularity of the DDP has strained restaurant capacity.

Disney negotiated an end to the "included tip" with the union. I'll speculate Disney got tired of paying higher tips to servers that convinced guests to order unwanted desserts.

Losing the appetizer would be tolerable, at least to me, if Disney either offered a choice of soup/salad or offered an appetizer sampler platter for the table. Those options would allow servers to streamline service and wouldn't add that much to the cost.

I wouldn't object if Disney removed the dessert from the CS meal.

Do you have any further information regarding upgraded plans?

Len

Pumbas Nakasak

The fact that you couldn't find the section I quoted doesn't mean it's not there.
CS.

I know which is why I asked for a link:shrug:

However... the UK price for the dinning plan has been inflated since it became available ( and not all operators offer it).

I tried to check up on it, however it sounds like Virgin have moved call centres and twice i was hung up on because " I cant understand you".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom