Dining Plan Changes

sbkline

The snack does seem to throw people off, but that's no the only way in which people get confused/greedy. I actually overheard a guest asking a Pecos Bill CM whether he could use his dessert choice to get chili cheese fries since they were listed under a heading of "Sides and Desserts". :rolleyes: My opinion is that the DDP has created a culture wherein all participants expect all food to be theirs for the asking. They then start bargaining to try to maximize the value of their plan. Who hasn't heard someone trying to do something like trade in 2 snack credits for a CS meal or get a several snacks for a left-over CS meal on their last day? Makes me feel sorry for those food service CMs who have to calmly explain the guidelines of the program every day.

As far as trying to get the chili cheese fries, I wouldn't necessarily call that greed. If it is under a heading of "sides and DESSERTS", then it is reasonable, or at least understandable, that some people would think that they should be able to get that under the DDP. I mean, if you can go to a counter service and get a piece of pie or pudding as a dessert, then is it really that unreasonable that one would think he can get chili cheese fries which are also labeled as a "dessert". Kind of misleading on Disney's part, IMO.

I guess I sympathize with the guy because I was in the same boat. I was at the Pinochio Haus restaraunt and thought I could get the figaro fries because they were labeled the same way.

My opinion: if it doesn't count as a dessert credit, then don't put a DDP emblem next to it while it's listed as a dessert on the menu.

brucie

This is terrible news we took a unplanned Disney vacation because of the dinning plan... From Canada!!! TWICE!!!!

Yes it's true we went to Disney 2 times in one year when usually we go once every 4 or 5 years all because of the dinning plan!! I don't hate the changes Except for the snack option that is a terrible terrible idea... we may have to rethink our plans for 2008(that's right another trip because of our love for the dinning plan!) with our 2 other friends who have never been if this dinning plan thing comes true.. LEAVE THE SNACKS ALONE!!!

cymbaldiva

DDP is not something I would pay out of pocket for, so if it changes, it changes - I still wouldn't buy it. It's simply too much food and too much time spent in resturants instead of enjoying the parks.

That said, I am going to Disney soon (49 days :sohappy: ), and my bff did get us a package with the free dining so of course we're using it. At first I was kind of excited planning ressies for all these places that I never even considered eating before so that was fun - hope the food's good! Now I look upon all these ressies that we have and I'm thinking "D*** we're going to be spending a lot of time eating - will I have enough time for rides? :veryconfu "

So my point? I don't think it is a good idea to change the plan because it would take away value from those that choose to use it. As for me personally it really won't matter one way or another because it's just not a great deal for me - even when it's free! ;)

Dwarful

The Dining plan is good for some and not for others. If they lose the benefit of the tip I probably wouldn't bother with it again. It is wonderful for large groups who automatically have that tip added on. We have used it once, are using it again in 9 days with a large group.

The thing I don't like is the "if you do it right its worth it". I don't want to HAVE to order the most expensive items on the menu or skip character buffets to get 'my money's worth' on the dining plan. I want to eat where and what I want regardless of the cost. I think this is one reason places like Le Cellier have booked solid. People cruise the internet, look at menu's and think "WOW! Look at the cost of this place, we better eat here" If we didn't do the dining plan, we would NEVER order appetizers for the whole family, usually wouldn't even order one to split. The kids may get desserts, but usually we wait til later for an ice cream during the parades/fireworks/illuminations etc.

Finally, I do AGREE that at many restaurant menu's have been hit hard, offering fewer choices, taking away from the dining experience. I'd like to have more options, especially in the children's area. We can go to a local seafood place and my girls can get crab legs off the kids menu, our youngest loves them and orders them every time, our oldest hates them and sticks with a child's order of steak tips. Not every child lives on chicken strips, hotdogs, hamburgers or mac n' cheese.

bhg469

We enjoy the didning plan alot, it gives us a chance to eat in better places more throughout the trip than just counter service for every meal. When i go on vacation it doesn't matter if it is Orlando, Colombus or wherever we decide to go dining out is usually one of the things we look forward to.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
. When i go on vacation it doesn't matter if it is Orlando, Colombus or wherever we decide to go dining out is usually one of the things we look forward to.

Yes I agree 100%, I work hard so I can push the boat out on holiday, I do what we enjoy and eat well. Sadly I think the dinning plan has made people obsessed about VFM and forget about actually enjoying their meals as part of the WDW experience.

Thing is I had alreadystarted to use table service more prior to DP it was to me better value to begin with.

bgraham34

If the new plan does not work out then they might go back to the old plan. But who knows. I for one dont like the current plan because we tend to eat 2 sit down meals a day.

ChuckFromCanada

Parrothead & Disney Fanatic.
I haven't tried DDP yet ,I would like to try it when it is included before I purchase it to see if it's worth while, but if they make all these changes I don't see it being a big savings.I always have a car with me and if you go into Kissimmee meals are pretty cheap and it breaks the Disney overload.

Buried20KLeague

Was there a timeframe mentioned for these possible changes?

BTW, if I were a betting man, I'd say the snack thing would be the only thing that actually changes. The tip thing makes no sense. Like was said early on, I'm betting that's a misunderstanding.

If they had a problem with the tip cutting into profits on the plan, they would simply raise the cost of the DDP to compensate. I'm quite sure they understand that not including the tip would mean nothing positive for the servers, let alone the logistical complications of having to basically ring up multiple transactions for most tables on the DDP. Each transaction carries a cost with it as well, whether actual or figurative. That cuts into profits too.

Plus we all know that Disney has no problem with raising prices on things when they find it suitable.

Cara1210

I like the DDP the way it is. I don't mind the snack changes so much, but the rest of it stinks! If they do change, I will be seriously reconsidering using it again!:brick:

WDWFigment

DDP is not something I would pay out of pocket for, so if it changes, it changes - I still wouldn't buy it. It's simply too much food and too much time spent in resturants instead of enjoying the parks.

That said, I am going to Disney soon (49 days :sohappy: ), and my bff did get us a package with the free dining so of course we're using it. At first I was kind of excited planning ressies for all these places that I never even considered eating before so that was fun - hope the food's good! Now I look upon all these ressies that we have and I'm thinking "D*** we're going to be spending a lot of time eating - will I have enough time for rides? :veryconfu "

So my point? I don't think it is a good idea to change the plan because it would take away value from those that choose to use it. As for me personally it really won't matter one way or another because it's just not a great deal for me - even when it's free! ;)

We don't do table service restaurants while in the parks (except EPCOT), so we just do signature dining experiences on nights we aren't in the parks. Nicer ambiance and menu, anyway. Plus I don't like going to nice restaurants in sweaty park clothes, even if that is what everyone else is wearing.

Capt. Jack

I realize some people may have "tight budgets," but come on. You're still getting free meals, why complain? Are you that greedy? :dazzle:

disneydudette

I have mixed feelings about the DDP... our first trip with it will be this Sept.

I wish there was a little bit more flexibility. This plan is a deal if you enjoy TS meals... but for someone like me, who's more of a snacker and CS eater... the plan isn't really that appealing. I admit, I love the Character and Sit down meals... but seven 3-course meals is a little much for us. And yes, we do feel we have to eat all 3-courses to get our money's worth... a huge downside to this plan.

I would love for Disney to come out with a DDP system similar to the MYW ticket structure and also make some offering "unlimited". I would love to add the option of Unlimited Snacks and CS meals while the family next me may prefer 3 TS meals a day and the next family a mix of CS and TS meals.

Theres a lot of different directions Disney can take this plan, and I hope they definately focus on the All Inclusive aspect of a vacation. But again, everyone vacations differently... so offer a little something to everyone.

RiversideBunny

This plan is a deal if you enjoy TS meals... but for someone like me, who's more of a snacker and CS eater... the plan isn't really that appealing. I admit, I love the Character and Sit down meals... but seven 3-course meals is a little much for us. ...

Same here. We usually do counter service a lot, plus a couple of character buffet meals.
Using the current DDP means more table service meals instead of CS but not necessarily a monetary savings overall - just better a better quality of food maybe and definitely an increase in quantity of food.

I would rather have a resort room discount than the DDP plan.

:)

New2WDW

Does Disney still allow a trade from 1 TS to 2 CS meals? Or was this just for last year when there was so much congestion at the TS restaurants and people were not able to get an ADR? Or am I just completely off on this info :hammer: ......

If this is still so then people that want more CS than TS can trade.:)

Buried20KLeague

This plan is a deal if you enjoy TS meals... but for someone like me, who's more of a snacker and CS eater... the plan isn't really that appealing. I admit, I love the Character and Sit down meals... but seven 3-course meals is a little much for us. ...
Same here. We usually do counter service a lot, plus a couple of character buffet meals.
Using the current DDP means more table service meals instead of CS but not necessarily a monetary savings overall - just better a better quality of food maybe and definitely an increase in quantity of food.

I would rather have a resort room discount than the DDP plan.

:)

Yeah, but that kinda defeats the point of this plan for Disney. They don't do it so you can save a buck or two. They do it to help ensure they get ALL of your travel dollars available, or at least as many as possible. They're taking away as many reasons to leave Disney property as they can.

The DDP isn't a clever discount they came up with to help people pack into the Disney Parks. People don't make a decision to come to the parks because of the dining plan (except for the few rare occasions it's been free). The DDP is a wickedly smart marketing tool to eat away at competition's profits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom