Didn't like Disney...

draybook

That's a lot like our local Six Flags park we had growing up...all cake, no icing. Sure the park had some great coasters, but there was mostly a concrete and steel fashion about the place. The Batman ride, for instance, overlooked the guest parking area. It was a fairly good coaster, but really had nothing to do with Batman; no story involved. By the end of the day, if felt no different than spending the afternoon at an elaborate state fair. Fun rides, a little dizzy, but no theme or order involved like seen at Disney & Universal parks.

Six Flags St Louis?

eddiemcgarrigle

I have a friend who decided to visit Orlando due to the fact that I always hop over the pond every other year or so and then rave about what a great time I had. Holiday booked and off he goes to sample WDW, US\IOA and Seaworld before returning and almost blaming me because they didn't enjoy themselves.

The crux of his problems? That would be his wife. She doesn't like roller coasters or rides that spin you around or drop you or are too loud or have long queues. She also complained of not being able to find vegetarian options anywhere at WDW, I-Drive, US or Seaworld. Oh, and how dare Florida be overly warm in June.

Why book a holiday to sample the theme parks??? I don't understand the food problem either as almost every restaurant has salad options. Yes, let's go on a holiday that is outside our comfort zone so that we can spend the next year complaining about it. :confused:

The Mom

Premium Member
I had been to WDW twice before I took my daughter as an 18 month old - in the summer because my 15 year old niece was visiting.

If that had been my first trip, I probably would never have returned. But I knew that it was timing, and actually brought my daughter back in the fall - when we had a wonderful time.

I have only returned during the summer when I've made arrangements to get together with others who are visiting. So my goal is to just enjoy their company, and attractions are secondary.

I also met up with my brother and his family, and they were the "get up when we want to, leave early because we don't want to pay to eat dinner at WDW, stay offsite and use the motel's free shuttle because it's cheaper than renting a car " so they didn't enjoy it.

imagineer boy

Six Flags St Louis?

Might as well have been. :lol: As far as Six Flags go I actually think the one here in St. Louis might be the worst, which is saying a lot. Its just so depressing how they just tear down random stuff to build a new coaster that no one will care about in a couple of years.

njdan

While my family loves Disney many people - including my father - ask how can you keep going there
I tell them we will keep going to it stops being fun. Still get looks though oh well

ddbowdoin

Spring Break is the ONLY time I have ever gone to WDW and it is actually one of the reasons I keep going back! My friend thinks I am totally nuts for wanting to be down there when the parks are absolutely packed with Spring Breakers, but I LOVE it!!! I know no different I guess. But I love the weather in March down there compared to ours up here, I love that the parks stay open later than usual to accommodate the crowds, I love everything about being there in March.

Now I have to admit that my stance did change a little bit after this past trip. The parks were CRAZY packed, as we have come to expect, and the lines were as insane as ever. But this time we missed out on a bunch of stuff that we usually enjoy doing because of the crowd levels. So I said to my wife after we got home, maybe we should listen to everyone and just TRY a trip during a non-peak season. My friend swears it will make our love for WDW grow even that much more, not having to wait in long lines and being able to walk right on most of the attractions. So I am thinking it is just going to be my wife and I maybe next May or October for a nice 10 day getaway so that we can experience WDW minus all of the Spring Breakers! :p

I was there the same time as you... the parks were no where near as bad as when I was at the world in May of 2010 (that was BUSY)

MAF

Might as well have been. :lol: As far as Six Flags go I actually think the one here in St. Louis might be the worst, which is saying a lot. Its just so depressing how they just tear down random stuff to build a new coaster that no one will care about in a couple of years.

Six Flags St. Louis is...awful. The one in Chicago is actually really good though.

graphite1326

My two sisters were in Florida about a month ago and decided to go to EPCOT. They called me while they were there, so tried to give them a few pointers over the phone. When I talked to them later here is what I got. I asked them how they liked a little taste of WDW. They said they didn't go to WDW they went ot EPCOT and didn't like it. I asked if they went on Soarin. Yeh they thought so. It turns out they went on Mission Space. The rode on SE and then went to WS. Had lunch at Mexico and a few drinks. I asked if they went in the aquarium. They didn't know there was one. Film at Canada, China? What film? Did you catch any of the street shows? No. Band at Canada? No. They got in line at Test Track but didn't have time to wait and went back to their hotel, off property of course.

But they just can't understand why I have made many trips there.

imagineer boy

Six Flags St. Louis is...awful. The one in Chicago is actually really good though.

I had a friend who went to WDW a few years back and I think he generally had a good time. Later though, he told me he didn't see any difference in quality between Six Flags and WDW. :eek:

Now before you rip your hair out, I think he might've been saying that to see my reaction since he knew I was such a big Disney fan.

Mikester71

I was there the same time as you... the parks were no where near as bad as when I was at the world in May of 2010 (that was BUSY)

I realize that there are definitely busier times than when we go, but THIS was still crazy to me! :shrug: We were trying to get to Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain.

SAM_0455.jpg

SAM_0456.jpg

Wilt Dasney

Six Flags Over Georgia.

SFoG is endearing to me, because you can see flashes of real effort to establish a story. When you enter the park, you have the slightly ghetto-ized version of Main Street where you might see a Looney Tunes character hanging out, and the big Six Flags historical monument at the end of the street. Then you turn left and "Oh...a big unthemed coaster sponsored by the Georgia Natural Gas utility company, with the blue flame guy who promotes natural gas on public TV as the mascot. Right." :lookaroun :lol:

Then they have the Batman-themed mini-land, with the villains carousel and what was the Riddler coaster for a while (recently re-re-themed back to Mindbender, but with the neon green question marks still in place :lol:) and the Batman ride, which has a GREAT queue, taking you through the Gotham City park, a grungy factory and up into the freakin' Batcave itself, with the actual cowl hanging in glass in front of you. All of which sets up...an unthemed coaster that goes over the parking lot. :veryconfu :lol:

Also, Monster Mansion is a very fun and cute dark ride. You can tell it was built a while back because they had to build a gift shop across the street, meaning the idea of forcing people through shops hadn't taken hold when they built it back in the '80s.

Anyway...I digress. But SFoG does hold a soft spot for me, more for what it could be than what it is. I have a buddy who grew up on the park and has never been to WDW, but really loves the little sparks and flashes of theming at Six Flags more than the endless coasters. I've told him he really needs to make it to Disney sometime.

Caluori

Our family loves Disney. Not many people in our family understand, which in return we dont understand them. There have been times someone will ask us about going to this vacation spot or WDW and what is our opinion. We always tell people that if they want to vacation somewhere else do it first cause going to WDW before anywhere else will ruin every other vacation. Nothing even compares to the Disney experience. Its not even a discussion where we will go each year....its understood it will be WDW.

Crockett

Banned
Also, Monster Mansion is a very fun and cute dark ride. You can tell it was built a while back because they had to build a gift shop across the street, meaning the idea of forcing people through shops hadn't taken hold when they built it back in the '80s.
I have to admit, Monster Mansion is one of the few, if not the only, non-Disney/non-Universal dark ride that could still live up to Orlando's standards & expectations. Part of it reminds me of Maelstrom, other parts remind me of HM, and some reminds me of POTC. It is a great dark ride and definitely head & shoulders above what people have come to expect from regional park chains in the dark ride category. I have to say hats off to SFOG for capturing the aspect of story, detail, atmosphere, etc with this ride.

mp2bill

So my brother in law and Sister in law are in FL with their 2 kids for a week. I asked my mother in law if they were going to Disney.. the answer..NOPE. They went 2 years ago ( kid were 4 and 7) and went ONE day to MK in the middle of spring break times and didn't like it.. DIDN'T like it?? So they will never go back.

I guess that's just one less family in them lines right?

Yep!

Bri1121

First- I am jealous of those with cheap flights to Orlando!! Here it is just under $400. :cry:

Anyway- I knew one person who was not a huge fan and that was because he did not like crowds. Ummm hello!

Anyway- I do not love crowds either especially with kids but I love love Disney! Even in the beginning of August with huge crowds and crazy heat!! Will be there again in 100 days! :sohappy:

DeaverTex

OK, so I had to join just to respond to this thread. I don't "not like" Disney, BTW. A little background...

I was 4 when DL opened in 1955, and I read all about it when I was five. Wanted to go like crazy! My parents thought that was so cute, and of course never considered it because who'd ever do such a foolish thing? By the time I was 8, I'd given up on it, and began working on NOT wanting to go because I was sick of envying my friends who had gone. I managed it, and that was the end of the matter until about a year ago.

I came across a couple of Disney forums -- DLC, WDW both -- and wondered at the level of enthusiasm I saw there. Gee! What are these people seeing that I'm missing? I'm still not enthusiastic, but I think I'd be willing to give it a go.

Two things are holding me back, from either Anaheim or Orlando. One is the outrageous cost. From central Texas, spending 4-5 days (I think that would probably be enough to get the feel if I'm capable of getting it) at either park would cost enough to pay our mortgage for 6 months or more. Yes, it would, I've priced it out. That's insane.

The other is that you guys make going to the park sound like too much work, even if it were free. Plan? Schedule? Geeze! It's supposed to be a vacation, not D-Day! I'd rather go with the flow, and I've read enough to know that would virtually guarantee a bad experience.

And so it goes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom