Didn't like Disney...

Wilt Dasney

OK, so I had to join just to respond to this thread. I don't "not like" Disney, BTW. A little background...

I was 4 when DL opened in 1955, and I read all about it when I was five. Wanted to go like crazy! My parents thought that was so cute, and of course never considered it because who'd ever do such a foolish thing? By the time I was 8, I'd given up on it, and began working on NOT wanting to go because I was sick of envying my friends who had gone. I managed it, and that was the end of the matter until about a year ago.

I came across a couple of Disney forums -- DLC, WDW both -- and wondered at the level of enthusiasm I saw there. Gee! What are these people seeing that I'm missing? I'm still not enthusiastic, but I think I'd be willing to give it a go.

Two things are holding me back, from either Anaheim or Orlando. One is the outrageous cost. From central Texas, spending 4-5 days (I think that would probably be enough to get the feel if I'm capable of getting it) at either park would cost enough to pay our mortgage for 6 months or more. Yes, it would, I've priced it out. That's insane.

The other is that you guys make going to the park sound like too much work, even if it were free. Plan? Schedule? Geeze! It's supposed to be a vacation, not D-Day! I'd rather go with the flow, and I've read enough to know that would virtually guarantee a bad experience.

And so it goes.

Props for being willing to chime in here. It's nice to hear from someone who isn't a "true believer" on these forums. :wave:

I can tell you that I am about the antithesis of a serious planner, but I have a great time when I go. With some minimal planning, a trip during a slower time of year can still leave plenty of time for spontaneous wandering around and going with the flow. You might not be able to eat at every restaurant you'd like, but for me it's a small tradeoff for not being burdened with a detailed itinerary on vacation.

I don't know what to tell you about the money issue, because it is expensive. I can say that I've spent a week at Disneyland coming from much further away than you and definitely spent nowhere near 6 months rent. But I also travel alone, which isn't an option (or even desirable) for everyone.

If you ever give either WDW or DL a try, please report back with your thoughts and experience. :)

mickeymatt

SAM_0455.jpg

War Eagle!

DeaverTex

It's partially that we've got fairly low mortgage payments -- I'll admit that. It's also that somehow, I seem to have missed the cost increases over the last 20 years or so. I'm seeing people thinking absolutely nothing about dropping $3K, $5K, or even more on a vacation, and I'm in absolute shock. :lookaroun

It's not that DW and I really can't afford it, since we both have pretty good jobs. (Although DS is in a private university and gets NO financial assistance. Ouch!) It's the cheap gene in me that's being activated. If I can get that to calm down, this'll be a LOT easier. And more fun.

Wilt Dasney

It's partially that we've got fairly low mortgage payments -- I'll admit that. It's also that somehow, I seem to have missed the cost increases over the last 20 years or so. I'm seeing people thinking absolutely nothing about dropping $3K, $5K, or even more on a vacation, and I'm in absolute shock. :lookaroun

It's not that DW and I really can't afford it, since we both have pretty good jobs. (Although DS is in a private university and gets NO financial assistance. Ouch!) It's the cheap gene in me that's being activated. If I can get that to calm down, this'll be a LOT easier. And more fun.

THAT I can relate to. I'm kind of a tightwad in everyday life.

It's weird, but something happens to me at Disney. The place just makes me feel so content that I don't really worry about the cost. As long as it's a trip I've budgeted for and know I can afford, I feel like the intangible rewards I get from the experience are more valuable than the ones I'd get from saving the money. That's an entirely subjective state of mind, obviously. Not everyone will experience it, or at least not for the same reasons.

majorrfb

That's us!

WOW... I'm shocked to hear someone who doesn't like Disney World. I know adults without kids who go there on their vacations because it's such an awesome place. :) Come to think of it, I don't even know anyone who doesn't like Disney movies... I thought everyone in the world did.

My wife and I became WDW before our kids arrived and couldn't wait to take them after they were born. By the time they both graduated from high school, they went to the World at least 10 times or more. They both graduated from college and both of them have reservations for this summer. My wife and I have visited at least 25 times and have plans for early Dec. Love the World! :sohappy:

Mickey_777

My brother in law and his family are in Orlando this week and it looks like they're not going to any Disney parks just Universal and Sea World. :eek:

They got a "package" at Costco I think so I understand why. My wife and I will probably take our nephews (thier kids) to Disney one day so they can see how much better it is :p

Edeyore

Okay, first off realize I have been to WDW 6 time and always have come away, dreaming of the next time I can go back. During those trips there have been things that have come up, that in combination could turn one off to WDW.

I once stood in line, holding my 3 year old for 45 minutes, in 90 degree weather to get on the Peter Pan ride.

I went into my room at the Polynesian only to find a group of Palmetto bugs there first.
(Note the closest description I can give is think cockroach.) When I questioned the front desk their only reaction was, "Well, it is that time of year."

I received a free meal ticket, that got me a tick, doughy, piece of pizza, barely covered with some sauce and no cheese. ( Luckily I had another ticket and it got me the Shogun's special at Japan in Epcot.)

I have been run into by strollers and electric wheelchairs.

I have had reservations lost and even our food order lost once in a restaurant. It took us over 2 hours for dinner at the Brown Derby.

Things happen. If it were your first time, things were over crowded, and you weren't that into it to begin with, given the cost I can see someone not putting it high on their list to do again really soon.

tjnpd116

It doesnt take as much work as some on here make it out to be. I tell everyone who has never been to just sit down for an hour with someone who's been at least three times, and get the run down. Thats all the planning thats needed, except for making reservations.
I have been 25 times, never stayed less than 8 days, and have never spent more than $2500.(not including gas to get there), and we allways stay on property.

as for the original post. one day at magic kingdom + peak season + probably got there late and left early = bad time. get advice from people that know.

tink2044

I realize that there are definitely busier times than when we go, but THIS was still crazy to me! :shrug: We were trying to get to Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain.

SAM_0455.jpg

SAM_0456.jpg
I've seen it that bad or almost that bad at Christmas. I found if you use the extra Disney hours if you are staying on property you can beat the crowds. Also people don't like rain so great time to go to parks. We were there in pouring rain on Christmas day and the MK was empty. We had a ball til the rain stopped.

quirkle

I met my husband when I was 17 and he was 21. he had never been to WDW - I really wanted to call DCF to report a case of child abuse. :p

I brought him when he was 23 and to me that was one of the most magical moments of my life - he walked through the tunnel and saw Main Street, sighed and said, "Ohhhh - now I get it" The smile on his face could light the park. He called his Mom and told her - you don't get it - this is not an amusement park - its just perfect.

My hubby has spent 19 years trying to explain to his parents what they are missing out of yet even the pictures of my parents experiencing my kids' first times at WDW did nothing. For some people they just don't and will never understand what we all do - that the thought of WDW is the best anti-depressant ever perscribed!!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom