Didn't like Disney...

Alison1975

Original Poster
My best friend ( and fellow Disney addict) says they just must have zero imagination and no magic in their souls.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Our neighbors across the street had the same reaction. They went a few months ago with their two kids and spent a day at MK. Thought there weren't enough attractions...the attractions that were there were too far apart...lines were bad...everything was too expensive.

In three minutes, I could've told them a dozen things they did wrong, but what's the point? They didn't like it. We love it. To each their own.

Alison1975

Original Poster
yeah.. I coulda told them how to enjoy the trip..but no point.. just means they won't ever want to tag along when we go ..lol

bmarkelon

Not like Disney? Thats crazy talk!! My DH and I just don't get people like that. We have so many people ask us why we bought DVC, what are we going to do in 20 years...go to Disney by ourselves and have a blast!!! DUH!! Besides the other obvious answer of using our points all over the world too. But I swear we will almost always cash them in for Disney trips. :D

the-reason14

For some strange and weird reason, I used to care a lot about things like that. Like if I was in line for a ride and I heard someone say something like, "Oh Universal is better" I would get upset. Granted, I was like 12, 13, 14, but still, if someone didn't like WDW I would be mad.

Now, I don't think I could care less. As long as I like it, and I have fun when i go, then that's all that matters to me.

Alison1975

Original Poster
Average joe.. I don't care..my own family though..it's harder.. cus if they hate it then we are the complete freaks for loving it..lol

ddbowdoin

I could see a parent not liking WDW for one reason... they can literally hear their bank account falling down a dark and cold canyon

I am not a parent, but how does one say no to their kids? especially if they were well behaved... kids love things and I feel like I'll be heartbroken if I have to tell my son/daughter that they can't get that tshirt or toy etc etc etc.

ddbowdoin

Not like Disney? Thats crazy talk!! My DH and I just don't get people like that. We have so many people ask us why we bought DVC, what are we going to do in 20 years...go to Disney by ourselves and have a blast!!! DUH!! Besides the other obvious answer of using our points all over the world too. But I swear we will almost always cash them in for Disney trips. :D

My fiance and I are the same way... we're saving for that DVC purchase. We're lucky, flights from Boston are pretty reasonable. Even in tougher times (such as today) with higher fuel costs I can still get down to MCO for about 215 roundtrip including direct flights. To me, that is not that bad at all if lodging is covered under DVC. Hell, I'd even do weekend trips if I had 100 points.

Only downside is she is graduating her undergrad this year and will be a full time teacher so its school vacations for me, damnit

tampabrad

It is easy to see how people don't like Disney. Especially going during spring break or summer.

It is hot. The lines for everything (shows, attractions, food) are long. If you are going for one day, you usually have to rush to try to see everything. It is expensive. Going to one park, you are only experiencing 1/4 of the theme parks, plus missing everything else there is to do on property. With out propper planning, getting into a sit down restaurant is close to impossible. Going to a park all day with no rest is exhausting.

Unfortunately, not everyone knows what WDW actually is, a vacation destination. And, it can be done and enjoyed at a leisurely pace with the right planning and time.

I was there last summer and found it almost miserable. Once I got in the mindset that I was going to wait for attractions, it became much better. We got to do more out of park experiences and spend more time at the resort. And I still love WDW and have gone back many times and will go mack many times more.

lebeau

I know lots of people who don't like Disney. I know many who have sworn never to return. My dad frequently says he wouldn't go back to save his immortal soul. And I think he means it.

I get why people don't like Disney. If you don't know the ins and outs or didn't do your planning, it can be an overwhelming and expensive trip. Actually, that can be true even under the best of circumstances.

JiminyandTink

I get when people who haven't been to WDW think they wont like it (and it's super-frustrating trying to convinve them that they might), but after actually being there, I don't really get how you wouldn't like it.

But at the same time a lot of people I know don't get why I like it so much.

But that's just life right.

Sarabell

Maybe if you want to really enjoy the experience you should go during a less crowded time. We used to go in the middle of november right before the thanksgiving crowds and it was perfect!

they probably didn't like it because you can't really experience a lot of rides because of the long lines and with the weather and the amount of people, and the wait times i guess I wouldn't like it either. And add to that the fact that you're there during high season so you're spending a fortune to spend a day choking from the heat amongst a million people.

Walt Disney1955

WOW... I'm shocked to hear someone who doesn't like Disney World. I know adults without kids who go there on their vacations because it's such an awesome place. :) Come to think of it, I don't even know anyone who doesn't like Disney movies... I thought everyone in the world did.

That would be me. My wife and I went last year when I was 29 and she was 25 (her first time ever). No kids at all. She loved it and I knew she would. I of course am obsessed with it. I've been teased to this day about going to Disney without kids. I usually laugh it off, but it is a little sad of the ignorance of some people. I've never been to Vegas or Europe for example. I certainly would want to though and won't be on my high horse saying "Hmmm, those places suck."

The whole "Disney is for kids" myth is one that just doesn't die. I usually find the people who didn't like it to be grumpy people in general or ones that would be "too cool" to admit they had a good time. But, they do have the right to hate it and I don't have the energy to tell people who have never been there why a 30 year old loves Disney World without kids

draybook

I can see how going for the first time during Spring Break would affect your thoughts on it. But I don't think it would keep me from going back.

Scuttle

So my brother in law and Sister in law are in FL with their 2 kids for a week. I asked my mother in law if they were going to Disney.. the answer..NOPE. They went 2 years ago ( kid were 4 and 7) and went ONE day to MK in the middle of spring break times and didn't like it.. DIDN'T like it?? So they will never go back.

I guess that's just one less family in them lines right?

I will never understand how someone could not like WDW it really just blows my mind. I can understand a failed trip and stress put on you by the kids, but if you plan a trip right then there is no way someone should not enjoy their vacation at WDW.

Crockett

Banned
They went 2 years ago ( kid were 4 and 7) and went ONE day to MK in the middle of spring break times and didn't like it.. DIDN'T like it??
Call family services and file a complaint. :shrug:
Seriously though, what advice should we give here? I'd just say let them do their thing, and you enjoy what you like.

they just must have zero imagination and no magic in their souls.
That's the way I feel about people who didn't like Avatar.

Maybe I'm just tired after a long day, but I really don't get any of this.
"I didn't like Avatar."
"But how on earth can someone NOT like Disney??"
"I like Disney, but they do not! That cannot be right"

My head. Going to lay down now.

Mikester71

A friend of my friend's took his family a few years ago and came back and told us he didn't care for it. My friend and I both looked at each other in complete amazement...HOW could ANYONE not like WDW, we said to each other!!!! But to each his own I guess. :shrug:

Mikester71

I can see how going for the first time during Spring Break would affect your thoughts on it. But I don't think it would keep me from going back.

Spring Break is the ONLY time I have ever gone to WDW and it is actually one of the reasons I keep going back! My friend thinks I am totally nuts for wanting to be down there when the parks are absolutely packed with Spring Breakers, but I LOVE it!!! I know no different I guess. But I love the weather in March down there compared to ours up here, I love that the parks stay open later than usual to accommodate the crowds, I love everything about being there in March.

Now I have to admit that my stance did change a little bit after this past trip. The parks were CRAZY packed, as we have come to expect, and the lines were as insane as ever. But this time we missed out on a bunch of stuff that we usually enjoy doing because of the crowd levels. So I said to my wife after we got home, maybe we should listen to everyone and just TRY a trip during a non-peak season. My friend swears it will make our love for WDW grow even that much more, not having to wait in long lines and being able to walk right on most of the attractions. So I am thinking it is just going to be my wife and I maybe next May or October for a nice 10 day getaway so that we can experience WDW minus all of the Spring Breakers! :p

AEfx

I wouldn't take a trip anywhere without doing research (and yes, I do enjoy research to an extent people don't, but...) and it seems every time I hear people having a bad experience it's because they:

*Slept in, got to the parks around 11 or so.
*Encountered huge crowds because they came so late
*Try to eat right at the same time everyone else is
*Don't look at a time schedule to know what's going on in the park that day, and to find or avoid what they do/don't want to see/get stuck in.
*Get frustrated because they go to big attractions at peak times

You don't have to plan everything down to the last detail like some of us, but you can easily have a bad experience at any vacation destination if you don't research a bit and know what you are doing when you get there.

To those people, I'm in the "meh" crowd. I'm not going to proselytize them, if they want to pay twice as much to go lay on a beach somewhere instead more power to them.

bmarkelon

My fiance and I are the same way... we're saving for that DVC purchase. We're lucky, flights from Boston are pretty reasonable. Even in tougher times (such as today) with higher fuel costs I can still get down to MCO for about 215 roundtrip including direct flights. To me, that is not that bad at all if lodging is covered under DVC. Hell, I'd even do weekend trips if I had 100 points.

Only downside is she is graduating her undergrad this year and will be a full time teacher so its school vacations for me, damnit
I agree. We are also lucky with affordable flights out of Hartford. The school vacation thing is tough we are on that now too since our oldest started Kindergarten this year. This is why we will be taking our first August trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom