Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

disneydiva72

Originally Posted by jcat2312 View Post
It really bothers me to hear people say that breastfeeding "destroys" the magic of Disney and that people are mortified to see something so natural and wholesome happen as providing a child with nutrients. We have all read about plenty of abuse happening in WDW in this thread, it is shocking that some people concentrate on how bad it is to see a child being breastfed almost as much as seeing abuse happen.

As a mother who nurses an infant, I always try to nurse at home where the baby is most comfortable. There are times where she needs to be nursed in public. Those of us who have had babies know that they need to eat "NOW" and can't wait sometimes for us to spend 15 minutes finding a comfortable, secluded place. If I were to spend 15 minutes extra finding a place to nurse my DD at WDW, I would then get blasted for carrying around a hysterical infant and ruining someone's day with her very loud vocals.

It's just too bad that people see breastfeeding as something "vulgar" and "nasty" and not how good it is that a mother is providing her child with the best nutrients a child can receive

Looks like we're about out of OMG comments about wdw, so I'll comment on the other subject of the thread.

there are many things that are "wholesome and natural" that shouldn't be done out in public...relieving yourself and love making are in that list and so should breast feeding. If it involves a "private part" of your body that you normally wouldn't think of showing in a public place, why would anyone thing that just because you're breast feeding that it's suddenly ok? Take an extra 10 minutes to walk to the feeding room...or if the baby REALLY can't wait, find a discreet location...but waiting 10 minutes isn't gonna kill your baby! Give em a pacifier for the time being. Feeding your baby on a park bench in the hub infront of the castle is inappropriate and selfish imho... yes there are little kids around who do not need to know about that yet and parents who don't need to be explaining that yet. Not to mention plain adults like me who just don't want to see that.

:sohappy: I agree Devoy

sublimesting

Looks like we're about out of OMG comments about wdw, so I'll comment on the other subject of the thread.

there are many things that are "wholesome and natural" that shouldn't be done out in public...relieving yourself and love making are in that list and so should breast feeding. If it involves a "private part" of your body that you normally wouldn't think of showing in a public place, why would anyone thing that just because you're breast feeding that it's suddenly ok? Take an extra 10 minutes to walk to the feeding room...or if the baby REALLY can't wait, find a discreet location...but waiting 10 minutes isn't gonna kill your baby! Give em a pacifier for the time being. Feeding your baby on a park bench in the hub infront of the castle is inappropriate and selfish imho... yes there are little kids around who do not need to know about that yet and parents who don't need to be explaining that yet. Not to mention plain adults like me who just don't want to see that.

What!?! Little kids don't need to know about breast feeding yet?!?! You mean, like, that's how babies eat?!? Little kids aren't idiots. Do you think they won't understand or that it will corrupt the delicate fiber of their being to know the fact of how a baby eats? At the age of 4 I knew babies ate by breast feeding but not always and never thought twice about it.
You are real conservative aren't you? I can tell by the way you lumped ______, going to the bathroom and eating all together into one catergory. Well, hi diddle dee doo neighbor, let me tell you something going to the bathroom in public is unhygienic and gross (it's gross in private too really), ______ is also private and between 2 people, usually, but breastfeeding is eating! And as for showing a private part of your body you wouldn't normally show...well, i know a lot of girls that just think its not fair that a man can walk about with his shirt off and they can't and are quite jealous of that fact, but if they wouldn't be arrested they'd gladly do so.

stitchrules223

I'm glad I got people to laugh, and it is sad to see some of the very shocking stories about people beating their children and the like. I have also realized that I probably should have chosen a shorter username...^_^

devoy1701

What!?! Little kids don't need to know about breast feeding yet?!?! You mean, like, that's how babies eat?!? Little kids aren't idiots. Do you think they won't understand or that it will corrupt the delicate fiber of their being to know the fact of how a baby eats? At the age of 4 I knew babies ate by breast feeding but not always and never thought twice about it.
You are real conservative aren't you? I can tell by the way you lumped ______, going to the bathroom and eating all together into one catergory. Well, hi diddle dee doo neighbor, let me tell you something going to the bathroom in public is unhygienic and gross (it's gross in private too really), ______ is also private and between 2 people, usually, but breastfeeding is eating! And as for showing a private part of your body you wouldn't normally show...well, i know a lot of girls that just think its not fair that a man can walk about with his shirt off and they can't and are quite jealous of that fact, but if they wouldn't be arrested they'd gladly do so.

I do not believe I linked _____, going to the bathroom, and eating together....I'm pretty sure that I linked showing private parts in public together.

Most toddlers who would ask questions about seeing something like that in public probably have no clue what breast feeding is! I doubt most of them remember ever having done so...and if they do, they don't need a biology lesson at age 4 while on their Disney trip.

And I'm sorry about the rules of society...but they have infact deemed women's as a private body part but not males ...so it's a waste of time throwing something like that into the argument. And since women's are considered private parts, it is my humble opinion that breast feeding should be considered a private manner. Afterall, Disney is catering to thousands of people a day...most of which would probably find it disturbing on even the smallest level (even if they just think to themselves, woah...I wasn't ready to see that at Disney), so take time to be considerate of others who probably don't want to see the act taking place in public.

EDIT (note to the moderators):and Mom, I'm sorry that I keeping this thread drift going...i'm sure you're gonna step in sometime soon and tell us to get back on topic, so I won't post anymore on the subject! I just had to rebuttle!

fosse76

It really bothers me to hear people say that breastfeeding "destroys" the magic of Disney and that people are mortified to see something so natural and wholesome happen as providing a child with nutrients. We have all read about plenty of abuse happening in WDW in this thread, it is shocking that some people concentrate on how bad it is to see a child being breastfed almost as much as seeing abuse happen.

As a mother who nurses an infant, I always try to nurse at home where the baby is most comfortable. There are times where she needs to be nursed in public. Those of us who have had babies know that they need to eat "NOW" and can't wait sometimes for us to spend 15 minutes finding a comfortable, secluded place. If I were to spend 15 minutes extra finding a place to nurse my DD at WDW, I would then get blasted for carrying around a hysterical infant and ruining someone's day with her very loud vocals.

It's just too bad that people see breastfeeding as something "vulgar" and "nasty" and not how good it is that a mother is providing her child with the best nutrients a child can receive
Not to start a war, but that is absurd. Using the restroom is also a natural act, so should I not even attempt to locate the restroom? This is just the mentality that people in this thread are complaining about: "the all about me" mentality. Yes, you have every right to breastfeed your child, and you certainly have the right to think it's good an not vulgar. But people with proper etiquette have a right as well to think it's gross (and breastfeeding in public view is NOT proper etiquette). You do not have an authoritative right to declare breastfeeding in public to be not vulgar.

Scott951

Original Poster
Not to start a war, but that is absurd. Using the restroom is also a natural act, so should I not even attempt to locate the restroom? This is just the mentality that people in this thread are complaining about: "the all about me" mentality. Yes, you have every right to breastfeed your child, and you certainly have the right to think it's good an not vulgar. But people with proper etiquette have a right as well to think it's gross (and breastfeeding in public view is NOT proper etiquette). You do not have an authoritative right to declare breastfeeding in public to be not vulgar.

Just as you do not have the authoritative right to say it is not proper etiquette.

When done correctly, you shouldn't even know what is going on, unless you are staring. It should look like the mother is just cradling the baby. Earlier in the thread, there was an example of a woman by the castle with her hanging out for all to see. I agree that this was wrong. But to be discreet about it should not be deemed to be improper ettiquette.

People, we are beating a dead horse here :hammer::hammer::hammer:.
Obviously, there are stong opinions on each side, and we won't change the other side's opinion.

Can't we all just get along and keep the outlandish Disney stories going? :shrug:

TigerLily_CM

Ok...all this breastfeeding is getting to me :lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun well...you know what I mean

I'd rather get back on the topic. Reading about the Epcot "Dome" reminded me of another question that I got asked several times but one particular time it was quite funny.

A woman came up to me at the Canadian Pavilion and asked where POTC was. I told her it was in the Magic Kingdom, a different Disney park and she would have to take the monorail to get there.

She said, "No, I'm AT Disney and I want to go see the Pirate ride"

I said, "Disney is made up of different parks. Right now you're at Epcot and the Pirates of the Caribbean is at Magic Kingdom which means you'll have to leave this park and take the monorail to the other park."

She said, "Look, I know where I am, OK. I can't find the Pirate ride on this map so if you can't tell me where it is I'll just go find someone else"

I said, "If you go toward the big golf ball you'll find an information centre to you left and they know everything about Disney and should be able to help you"

She replied (remember we're in the Canadian Pavilion here) "Fine, thank you, I don't know what it is about you British people, it's like you don't even understand English"

Well, there were so many things wrong with that I had to laugh (after she was gone of course)...I'm guessing she doesn't even know where the English language came from :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry about the Breastfeeding thing

Sorry I brought up breastfeeding at Disney earlier in this post. Didn't realize it was "touchy" until after I posted. Just thought it was funny that my preacher sat down beside a lady that had no problem pulling it out and doing the thing!

eliezrah

Ok...all this breastfeeding is getting to me :lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun well...you know what I mean

I'd rather get back on the topic. Reading about the Epcot "Dome" reminded me of another question that I got asked several times but one particular time it was quite funny.

A woman came up to me at the Canadian Pavilion and asked where POTC was. I told her it was in the Magic Kingdom, a different Disney park and she would have to take the monorail to get there.

She said, "No, I'm AT Disney and I want to go see the Pirate ride"

I said, "Disney is made up of different parks. Right now you're at Epcot and the Pirates of the Caribbean is at Magic Kingdom which means you'll have to leave this park and take the monorail to the other park."

She said, "Look, I know where I am, OK. I can't find the Pirate ride on this map so if you can't tell me where it is I'll just go find someone else"

I said, "If you go toward the big golf ball you'll find an information centre to you left and they know everything about Disney and should be able to help you"

She replied (remember we're in the Canadian Pavilion here) "Fine, thank you, I don't know what it is about you British people, it's like you don't even understand English"

Well, there were so many things wrong with that I had to laugh (after she was gone of course)...I'm guessing she doesn't even know where the English language came from :lol::lol::lol:
OMG that's hysterical!!! You seem to have a lot of these stories, keep 'em coming! You must see so much being a CM!!

Elenadc

Hi all! Just thought I'd share my favorite story from when I was a CM.

I was working at It's Tough to Be a Bug, and as I'm sure you know, the queue slants downward pretty much the whole way. So, there I was parking strollers, and as usual there's a kid coming down with those d*mn heelies. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't quite make the turn before clotheslining himself on the railing.

He was fine, thank god he wasn't going too fast, but it took all my willpower not to laugh.

CinderALLIE

Epcot Dome

I'm just gonna point out that the guy enquiring about the Epcot dome he saw on TV. It would have been the special about Walt's original concept for Epcot which was to have a dome to control the temperature at all times. Of coarse this was when it was going to be city like with businesses and apartments, etc. I'm gonna say he obviously didn't pay any attention to special or took a nana nap.

About Breastfeeding issue, cuz everyone else has commented and I don't want to be left out (lol).
MY OPINION
I don't have an issue with it. Mothers are trying to feed their child it's not like they're doing it purposely to show off their , or for entertainment value, or to get beads at Mardigras/Springbreak. To find someplace private could take awhile if your at wdw on crowded day, what do you suggest they let their baby cry for that long. what? so then you can about a crying baby that ruined your trip. Plus from what I've seen on TV, If a baby starts really bauling, the Mum can't control it and lactoses (Is that what they call it). It might not be true, but I saw it on TV so it must be - lol

Sorry I don't have any I can't believe I just saw that stories.

WildLodgeFan

Hi all! Just thought I'd share my favorite story from when I was a CM.

I was working at It's Tough to Be a Bug, and as I'm sure you know, the queue slants downward pretty much the whole way. So, there I was parking strollers, and as usual there's a kid coming down with those d*mn heelies. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't quite make the turn before clotheslining himself on the railing.

He was fine, thank god he wasn't going too fast, but it took all my willpower not to laugh.

The person who invented those should be drawn and quartered! :fork:

eliezrah

About Breastfeeding issue, cuz everyone else has commented and I don't want to be left out (lol).
MY OPINION
I don't have an issue with it. Mothers are trying to feed their child it's not like they're doing it purposely to show off their , or for entertainment value, or to get beads at Mardigras/Springbreak. To find someplace private could take awhile if your at wdw on crowded day, what do you suggest they let their baby cry for that long. what? so then you can about a crying baby that ruined your trip. Plus from what I've seen on TV, If a baby starts really bauling, the Mum can't control it and lactoses (Is that what they call it). It might not be true, but I saw it on TV so it must be - lol
I think what you were trying to explain was that if the mom hears her baby cry her milk leaks, which is true. And it is true, all we are trying to do is feed our hungry baby, which no one would have any opinions on if we were formula feeding and using bottles. It's true, if the baby cries, if we're on the other side of the park from the baby center, we can't just stop what we're doing to get there before the baby gets hysterical. Some babies can even cry themselves sick. I know, I personally, would not subject my baby to that when I can feed him wherever we are.

My other thing with people who tell us to just get up and go somewhere else... what if we're sitting down with the entire family (toddler and preschooler as well) and the baby gets hungry. Is the mom supposed to just get up and leave her family or expect everyone, including hungry older kid, to just get up and leave?

DisneyBean

I have really enjoyed reading a lot of these stories (the funny ones more than the sad/shocking)! I don't know if mine really qualifies as "outrageous," but it was definitely hysterical.

Several years ago, my fiance and I were on the bus back to CBR from the MK. It was late at night, and most people on the bus were quiet and/or dozing. Sitting near us was a family--a mother, father, and girl who looked to be about 5 years old.

For about 5 minutes, the girl had been entertaining herself by telling her parents jokes--the usual kids' knock-knock jokes. The parents were humoring her, saying, "my, that's a funny one!" and stuff like that.

Suddenly, the little girl got really animated and said, in her pristine English accent, "now I've got a really funny joke! Why did the cow lay on the grass?...Because there was a LITTLE GIRL WEEING ON IT! AND THE COW SAW THE WEE!"

The girl then proceeded to absolutely crack up at her own "dirty" joke. Her parents looked like they wanted to do the same, but didn't because they were worried that the others on the bus who heard the joke (which was pretty much everyone, since the bus was so quiet) were offended. The father asked who had told her that joke, and she replied (still laughing), "Mrs. Jenkins did!" "Mrs. Jenkins, your school teacher?" the father replied. "I don't think she would tell you that joke."

The rest of the ride passed in relative silence, but every few minutes, the little girl would burst into giggles again, probably remembering her saucy punchline. My fiance and I were practically choking from stifling our laughter.:lol:

tmm7899

Some of these stories are really funny I love it, keep them coming. Here is one of mine.

It was at the 50's Prime Time Cafe, my family and I were seated next to a family that had 2 small boys. They wanted dessert but as you know, no dessert unless you eat your vegetables and meal. My family thought that it was really funny that the waitstaff said no dessert for you.

Anyway the kids ended up eating all of their food or so we thought.... The next couple that came and sat at the table found food in the silverware container. The kids had hid the food in it so they could get dessert. My family and I bursted out laughing. We still talk about it when we all get together and share a laugh.

Crazy4WDW1

The Prime Time is one of my fav restaurants in all of WDW! Myself and two friends were there eating one trip. Of the women in our group order the fried chicken which came with greens. My friend normally likes greens, so no problem. When she gets her plate the greens were much too bitter for her liking. Our waitress starts nagging at her to eat her veggies or no dessert for her. I tell my friend that there's no where to hide them, our waitress will surely check our napkins. The couple at the table next to us is overhearing our dilemma and tells my friend to hide her greens in her napkin. We hide the greens at the next table and the waitress is looking all over for them at our table. It was hysterical! By the way . . . we ordered the Smores and they were to die for !!! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom