Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

PUSH

We were getting on a bus to head back to POR from MK and there was one seat left on the bus, and I was the last person standing. The seat was next to a family of four, with the dad being next to the empty seat. The dad had a folded up stroller sitting up against himself. I saw the empty seat and the dad saw me look at it (knowing that I was about to go sit down) and he takes the stroller and sets it up against the seat. So I just stood there not wanting to start a fight and let him have his empty seat. I couldn't believe it.

Mikester71

During our very first trip back in March of 2005, my wife was surprised by the sight of a totally nude man standing in his room by the window with the curtains wide open as we exited our room at Pop Century one morning. She scurried by as he stood there in all of his glory. :eek:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'm dusting off this legendary thread to add a real gem:
I saw, at MK, a family of six. I believe it was Mom and Dad, three teenage-ish sons, and a daughter around 11 or so.
All with their own, personal, ECVs.
Mind you, this family was not a bunch of whales, nor did any of them, other than the mother (hers was a Disney ECV instead of the rental company), seem to have any sort of physical disability. Heck, the boys literally jumped out of theirs once they parked.
Just the most disgusting thing I've ever seen at a theme park.

Beholder

I saw, at MK, a family of six. I believe it was Mom and Dad, three teenage-ish sons, and a daughter around 11 or so.
Mind you, this family was not a bunch of whales, nor did any of them, other than the mother (hers was a Disney ECV instead of the rental company), seem to have any sort of physical disability. Heck, the boys literally jumped out of theirs once they parked.

Is it possible to let the air out of the tires or otherwise disable the ECV once they're off? Yeah, that kind of thing really annoys me. And it's really bad for those who truly need one as they sometimes get lumped in with the "fakers".

Darth Tater

Let's see how some of the self-righteous "Don't bash ECV's, it could be a health issue" mongers try to defend this one.

Humanity. Look how far you've fallen.

itsbetsyh

I love reading those threads where we talk about what is your favorite, most disgusting, most embarrasing, most magical (etc.) moments in Disney World. I thought I would start a similar type of thread.

Have you ever seen somebody do anything in Disney World so outrageous, so jaw-dropping, and so out there that literally stopped you in your tracks and made you ask yourself if you really saw what you just saw (good or bad)?

One situation that comes to mind for me happened in March 2007. My wife and I were returning to the Contemporary resort via the monorail after a full day at Epcot. While waiting in line for a monorail, there was a family of four a few spots in front of us (Mom, Dad, Boy - 9ish, Girl - 5ish). Well, the older boy was leaning on the metal chains. The Mom asked him to stop. He did for all of 10 seconds and then proceeded to lean on the chains again. Well, the Mom did not appreciate it much. She proceeded to take off her belt, yell at her son that she had enough, and began whipping the boy with the belt right there in front of everyone. You could tell who wore the pants in the family because the Dad was looking away trying to ignore the whole thing. While this was going on (throughout the 4-5 lashes lovingly bestowed on the Boy), the little girl was singing happily that her brother was getting the belt. Are there people out there really like that? Did I really just see that?

Talk about making everyone on the plaform feel uncomfortable, not to mention how awful we all felt for the Boy, who was hysterically crying. A man standing next to them told her to stop, and she then lashed out verbally at the man to mind his own business. And wouldn't you know it? They sat in the same car as us.

(off topic - has there ever been a thought of opening an additonal forum for these types of "favorite" posts so we don't have to sift through multiple pages in the General Discussion forum?)

If I saw that I would've called 911.

itsbetsyh

The only thing that has raised eyebrows from us was when we were coming out of the pin store near the shooting range at MK (name escapes me) and we saw a mum steering a young lad into the shop (boy about 7ish) and the kid was in floods of tears and just stammering over and over "Please don't hurt me, please, please don't hurt me".:lookaroun

Other than that, it's the usual cringe worthy sights - most attributed to Brits Abroad!!!:lol:
breaks my heart. poor kid.

Goofyernmost

Let's see how some of the self-righteous "Don't bash ECV's, it could be a health issue" mongers try to defend this one.

One doesn't even have to take the "self-righteous" route. Were is it written that people cannot rent ECV's to tour the park. As long as they aren't using them to get handicap privileges, which wasn't mentioned in this, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with what they are doing. Even if they didn't want to walk because they are lazy, is it a rule that you cannot be lazy when in a theme park? We might find it disgusting that someone might rent one, but for the life of me, I cannot think of any reason why we should care unless they are abusing the disability system. Otherwise, it comes under the heading of none of our business. If the rest of us feel that it is better to walk then all we have to do is walk. We don't have to be upset because someone else didn't.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
One doesn't even have to take the "self-righteous" route. Were is it written that people cannot rent ECV's to tour the park. As long as they aren't using them to get handicap privileges, which wasn't mentioned in this, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with what they are doing. Even if they didn't want to walk because they are lazy, is it a rule that you cannot be lazy when in a theme park? We might find it disgusting that someone might rent one, but for the life of me, I cannot think of any reason why we should care unless they are abusing the disability system. Otherwise, it comes under the heading of none of our business. If the rest of us feel that it is better to walk then all we have to do is walk. We don't have to be upset because someone else didn't.
It also could have been a solidarity movement where they were trying to make the mom feel less self conscious

TubaGeek

If I see one person who doesn't look like they need it, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. A family like that, though? Fallen indeed.
One doesn't even have to take the "self-righteous" route... If the rest of us feel that it is better to walk then all we have to do is walk. We don't have to be upset because someone else didn't.
You are correct. It is a free country, so people can rent the lazy machines if they want.
By the same logic, I'm free to judge the bejeezus out of this particular group. :D
There's no denying that they are causing a major inconvenience to guests and CMs alike when there's suddenly the world's lamest looking motorcycle gang heading your way.

Goofyernmost

You are correct. It is a free country, so people can rent the lazy machines if they want.
By the same logic, I'm free to judge the bejeezus out of this particular group. :D
There's no denying that they are causing a major inconvenience to guests and CMs alike when there's suddenly the world's lamest looking motorcycle gang heading your way.

I never said that they were projecting a proud image of themselves, but it is their image to project and any of us judging it...has no real effect at all. Why expel the energy to even care. Yes, they are a lame looking motor cycle gang but we are assuming that their presence caused problems for anyone. Esthetically doesn't count.

TubaGeek

I never said that they were projecting a proud image of themselves, but it is their image to project and any of us judging it...has no real effect at all. Why expel the energy to even care. Yes, they are a lame looking motor cycle gang but we are assuming that there presence caused problems for anyone. Esthetically doesn't count.
One thing about me: I love to be mad at people. It's messed up, yes, but that's one of the reasons that I care.
And re:causing problems... I'm not going to go into detail, but I will say that they did cause problems because of how many there were. I'm not going to expand on that, so I completely understand if you say my argument doesn't hold any water.

Goofyernmost

One thing about me: I love to be mad at people. It's messed up, yes, but that's why I care.
And re:causing problems... I'm not going to go into detail, but I will say that they did cause problems because of how many there were. I'm not going to expand on that, so I completely understand if you say my argument doesn't hold any water.
Wouldn't dream of it. I don't know the whole story so I'm just expressing my opinion. Like you said, we are all free to judge. :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom