Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

wdwaddict71

This makes me wonder...
What exactly would be suitable punishment? Reprimanding children in public is tricky, at best. Being on vacation at WDW makes it all the more tricky.

The punishment needs to be firm enough to get the message across, yet it can't be so severe that it affects the rest of the family's ability to enjoy their day in the park.

Clearly, the punching of children up or down stairways is a bad idea. Merely telling them to stop doesn't quite do it either, now does it? So what's a parent to do?
Disney should come up with something called The Bad Kids Club..it would be staffed by people like the Supernannies(or maybe ex corrections officers, judging by some of the delinquents mentioned on this thread) and you could dump your misbehaving kids there, and the rest of the family could enjoy their vacation. No fun to be had at the BKC either-I think it could be set up like that Scared Straight program, only with Disney villians.:D:fork:

MagicMegan

That's exactly true. He had his palm towards his face which is classed as obsene here. I didn't realize it was different in the US :confused:. But to be honest, his face didn't say 'peace' to me, it was more like 'get lost'. And I'm quite a rational person, it takes a lot for me to even care about what someone says and does. So, I'm afraid that I'm still convinced that he V'd me because his palm was to his face. :shrug:
I had no idea until right now that a peace sign was considered obscene... no one talks about that over here in the states, and do you HONESTLY think a CM would shoot you an obscene gesture? Please, just please.

I am just speaking as a person who has several pics with a nephew that thinks that that pose is cool (complete with the serious look on the face) there is not necessarily a negative meaning to it. They just were not thinking.

goreesha

That's exactly true. He had his palm towards his face which is classed as obsene here. I didn't realize it was different in the US :confused:. But to be honest, his face didn't say 'peace' to me, it was more like 'get lost'. And I'm quite a rational person, it takes a lot for me to even care about what someone says and does. So, I'm afraid that I'm still convinced that he V'd me because his palm was to his face. :shrug:

Gangsta or hip-hop style peace signs are typically done in the States backward and with a serious expression on the face.

Wikipedia wouldn't lie to us, would it?

V sign

Current usage
  • Back of the hand facing the signer
    • Two – nonverbal communication of quantity
    • Victory – in a setting of wartime or competition. It was first popularized by Winston Churchill, and sometimes is made using both hands, or upraised arms as President Eisenhower, and in imitation of him, Richard Nixon, used to do.
    • Peace or Friend – used around the world by peace and counter-culture groups
    • Bunny ears – used behind the head of a subject of a photograph.

• Palm facing the signer
    • Two – indicating quantity although more common with palm turned around.
    • Insulting – largely restricted to the United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.
    • Peace – in the United States and Canada without respect to the direction.

Courtney1188

I have tons and tons of pictures on my phone with various friends of mine doing the peace sign (with their palm facing them) with a serious look on their face. I even have photos of some of my teachers doing it! And I assure you, we all meant it to be the peace sign. I'm sure the bus driver had no idea that was offensive in some countries - granted, a CM should try to familiarize themselves with things like that, as they get many international visitors. But regardless, the fact that all the people from the US on this forum immediately saw a peace sign says something.

LoriMistress

Gangsta or hip-hop style peace signs are typically done in the States backward and with a serious expression on the face.

Wikipedia wouldn't lie to us, would it?

V sign

Current usage
  • Back of the hand facing the signer
    • Two – nonverbal communication of quantity
    • Victory – in a setting of wartime or competition. It was first popularized by Winston Churchill, and sometimes is made using both hands, or upraised arms as President Eisenhower, and in imitation of him, Richard Nixon, used to do.
    • Peace or Friend – used around the world by peace and counter-culture groups
    • Bunny ears – used behind the head of a subject of a photograph.

• Palm facing the signer
    • Two – indicating quantity although more common with palm turned around.
    • Insulting – largely restricted to the United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.
    • Peace – in the United States and Canada without respect to the direction.
That's the trouble with hand signals. It can be insulting in some cultures, and other cultures it's appropriate.

dani_california

Okay, I believe everyone. I know quite a lot about America, but I never knew that. Please believe me when I say that I was typically British about it all and found it amusing even although I had assumed it to be offensive :)

Out of curiosity....what is the American alternative to flicking the 'vickies'. Is it just the middle finger or nothing at all?

Courtney1188

Okay, I believe everyone. I know quite a lot about America, but I never knew that. Please believe me when I say that I was typically British about it all and found it amusing even although I had assumed it to be offensive :)

Out of curiosity....what is the American alternative to flicking the 'vickies'. Is it just the middle finger or nothing at all?

Yeah, middle finger is about the only offensive hand gesture we have here.

Tom Orrow

(I was sitting by the smaller pool at the poly resort and I saw a mother grab her son by the arm l (couldent have been more than 3 years old) and with her other free hand took one of her flip flops off her foot and began to hit her son with it on the behind repeadley and yelling at the top of her voice for the boy to stop complaining that he is tired :eek: (really he is three years old probably the first time in disney world and probably missed his nap, that's no reason to hit him) :mad:

bjlc57

Oh.. look. great seats... for US..

We were at Fantasmic a couple of weeks ago.. and because my wife was in a scooter, we, who got there over an hour early, got a nice seat in the handicapped area..

now right next to us is an area for the hearing impaired.. with mirrors so they can read the writing behind them, and follow what's going on..

and we were chatting with a cm.. and as the crowd entered.. no regular people for the most part tried to sit there.. but here comes Mrs. Money bags.. with the fancy shirt and sweater and what not.. and she says.. Oh.. here are some seats.. they must have 'reserved them just for us".. and she and her family sit down.. and then the Cm explains.. no you cannot sit here..

and of course is given the DIRTY LOOK.. and well WHY NOT.. and what ever.. finally beats feet.. but not without letting us all know how they were put out..

I mean 4000 other people filed right passed those seats and didn't cross the line to sit there.. why did this group believe that they were "special"?

ewensell3

Anyway...as I was doing this, at the same time I clicked my camera, a disgruntled driver stuck his fingers up at me - quite prolonged as well and he wasn't joking by the look on his face. I didn't even want to take his picture, and I didn't mean to either. I couldn't believe it - yet again :eek: I didn't report him because I found it funny but he was actually rude. Enjoy....

As has been already pointed out, that gesture does not have the same meaning in the US. I guess we lost it when we dumped all that tea into Boston harbor. :)

MagicMegan

Yeah we really only have the middle finger, or if you really feel like confusing a few people, you can do the 'hand under the chin and flick out', but not many people get that these days either haha.

granted, a CM should try to familiarize themselves with things like that, as they get many international visitors. But regardless, the fact that all the people from the US on this forum immediately saw a peace sign says something.

Coming from an international visitor (UK) I really wouldn't think it was an offensive hand gesture if I saw it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom