DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

cosmicray

I dont know if anyone else has mentioned this, but did anyone else see that the name of this thread is toy storia?:p
c9b0c75f42ba0b0e52c9c1bff142d53cb976a007bc6f7cfc6514732a2dd77205.jpg

BrerJon

I get what youre trying to say and all, but until Uni becomes more than a 1-2 day add on to your Disney vacation, I don't think anyone in the World is too concerned.

I think it already is. I know I'm an outlier but I used to stay on-property, book a WDW vacation and all that comes with it, whereas now I'd book a week at a Universal hotel, with a few days at Disney, and lots more are realising how much more economical and enjoyable this can be. Maybe families with little kids all still stick to WDW but plenty of others are exploring alternatives, and that's only going to grow as Universal expands.

Also, while Uni has recently added the much cooler stuff, I wouldn't classify them as 'superior' in any way

Obviously everyone has their own opinion on this, in my view they win on value for money, quality of food and snacks, theming and quality (and quantity) of attractions, and without doubt the quality of the hotels... there's a lot that Universal gets right.

And to bring it back on topic, half the time the criticisms Universal gets - that it's all coasters and screens - can apply equally to Disney (Mine Train and Toy Story Mania).

Kman101

I disagree that Uni isn't doing some superior things though. They are. But some have to also realize not everything appeals to everyone. I'm honestly not the biggest Potter fan in general but they have done an amazing job with it.

Rutt

I think it already is. I know I'm an outlier but I used to stay on-property, book a WDW vacation and all that comes with it, whereas now I'd book a week at a Universal hotel, with a few days at Disney, and lots more are realising how much more economical and enjoyable this can be. Maybe families with little kids all still stick to WDW but plenty of others are exploring alternatives, and that's only going to grow as Universal expands.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion on this, in my view they win on value for money, quality of food and snacks, theming and quality (and quantity) of attractions, and without doubt the quality of the hotels... there's a lot that Universal gets right.

And to bring it back on topic, half the time the criticisms Universal gets - that it's all coasters and screens - can apply equally to Disney (Mine Train and Toy Story Mania).
Fair enough, but IMHO that opinion would be akin to me saying that the Toronto Blue Jays are superior to the New York Yankees organization. The facts don't really bear it out.

Anyway, I am making a solid promise to myself right now that this will be my last post about Uni on these boards. I didn't come here to debate the parks, I came to read about DHS.

Rutt

I disagree that Uni isn't doing some superior things though. They are. But some have to also realize not everything appeals to everyone. I'm honestly not the biggest Potter fan in general but they have done an amazing job with it.
I'm not sure anyone said they aren't doing superior things, that's not the same as saying Uni is not superior to Disney.

Damn it, you made me break my deal with myself. Alright THIS will be it, unless I have to clarify what I was saying.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Universal doesn't stand a chance of ever overtaking them as #1..
Only an idiot would think that.

But when a day or two at Uni means a day or two less at WDW as opposed to a day or two longer vacation the bean counters will wake up and listen to what the ears on the ground have been telling them for six years.

And they're now starting to take their heads out of the sand and listen.

BrerJon

Fair enough, but IMHO that opinion would be akin to me saying that the Toronto Blue Jays are superior to the New York Yankees organization. The facts don't really bear it out.

Sorry I know you don't want to talk about Universal anymore but I probably should clarify - when I said one day Disney could be superior once more, I was referring to the guest experience and quality, not in terms of corporate size or anything like that.

As a visitor, paying money, where am I going to get the superior experience, Disney or Universal? That's what I mean, and I disagree that 'the facts' prove Disney is a superior guest experience, for reasons I've already mentioned where I think Universal has them beat.

Last edited:

flyerjab

Heavens, you must be living under the misguided conception that anyone in Disney has lost a moments sleep worrying about what the evil empire up the road is doing. They may be starting to realize that they have to start investing more, if for no other reason then to have a tax write-off, via depreciation, but, they are not worried about Universal at all, not as long as they own half the land in central Florida. Universal doesn't stand a chance of ever overtaking them as #1. Just can't happen without Florida losing 50% of it's overall tourist trade. Plus convincing millions of parents that taking their kids to Disney is something that would be bad for them.

I will say this to your point - and keep in mind that from the majority of my posts you can discern that I love WDW and support much of their projects as of late. I think from a market share/money/turnstile perspective, WDW will always have the leg up on Uni in Orlando, but that is mainly due to their own IPs that are literally seeped in nostalgia, the overall parcel of land Disney owns in Orlando, and the fact that in Orlando, WDW has had a head start on Uni and has sustained a longer, steadier period of growth since 1971.

Uni had a very rough period at one point and Disney probably could have stepped on them like a fly if they really wanted to. However, that time has passed. What Uni has going for them now is obviously Potter and Comcast just shoveling money their way. And this is the key point for me. The one thing - and it is a big one - that Uni has been successfully doing since the WWoHP opened that WDW really has not: they have been cranking out big time park expansions that are intricately themed, alongside additional E-Ticket rides for their parks. You can also pair this along with the additions of more resorts that are more affordable and offer additional amenities than their WDW counterparts (see Cabana Bay vs. AoA).

Now believe me, my own opinions regarding WDW are in agreement with most of what they have been doing which is more infrastructure and capacity based: NFL, MK hub and bypass project, DS transformation, new MK bus load/unload, new extended buses, added ferry dock, additional DVC, MM+ (for capacity control), popular ride expansions, etc. Many of these, aside from NFL, are not bringing new rides/experiences to any of the parks. So yes, in the arena of adding new big-time rides or expansions, for the past 5 years Uni has been beating WDW like a red-headed step child (apologies to any red-headed step kids out there for the use of that analogy).

I have hope, however, that this is changing. DAK - Pandora with a 2 new rides and added attractions, RoL in Asia, night safaris, expanded food offerings everywhere (Flame Tree, African Marketplace), new animal attractions and larger stores along with top-notch theming. DHS - complete transformation supposedly going to happen with many new rides and attractions (Star Wars, Pixar, etc.). I will mention MK for NFL, the hub expansion, and also for the rumored new restaurant in Adventureland which could be a great experience. I will also mention DTD being transformed into DS just for the fact that it is a huge change and there is definitely money being spent here to greatly alter the experience visiting this venue. This leaves EPCOT - :grumpy:.

I am betting on some of the new changes that are coming to WDW prior to the 50th anniversary will be exceptional. Do I like the timetables that they use for their projects? Nope. However, Uni has been giving it to them lately in terms of new rides (and they aren't slowing down either) so I think that WDW is finally responding.

Goofyernmost

But when a day or two at Uni means a day or two less at WDW as opposed to a day or two longer vacation the bean counters will wake up and listen to what the ears on the ground have been telling them for six years.

Fair enough, but indications are that the loss isn't happening to a degree where they have had cause to worry about it or done much to affect the bottom line. Unless Disney's popularity declines massively, they will not be moved out of that spot. Even if Disney's diehard fans start going to Universal regularly (which many have been doing for years) where would they transfer that addiction too? They could just barely fit the single day attendance of MK in all of Universal. What would happen to the thousands of others?

I do, however, understand what you are saying and I do believe that Uni's success has begun to stir an amount of reaction, but, I do not for a second think that it is as worrisome to them as everyone seems to think it is. I believe that what they are listen to is the fact, long known, that business must change and flex with the times or it dies. It can die on it's own even without someone up the road showing off. Even the most foolish can figure out that once things that in the past worked fine, start to be a problem since they cut back on regular maintenance, that it must not have been the wisest direction to take.

Unfortunately, that leads to other problems. For example, the ever worshiped Walt Disney did not base his parks on nostalgia, he based them on whatever was current or remained popular. Currently traditionalists, fight the Disney Company on every move they make, even if it is keeping with public demand and desires. Everything must stay the same, nothing can change, emphasis cannot be varied, past goals will not be altered to fit current need. It is a whole lot of garbage that Universal isn't burdened with. They can rip things out with a minimum of flak and replace long established things without generating much over a minor whimper.

Yes, Disney is starting, at least, to make some positive moves, but, a lot more has to actually happen before it is to be taken seriously as turning over a new leaf. Hinting that something might be, could be, probably will be happening, will and actually has gotten old real fast. Anybody can put up a wall! It's what they do behind it that matters.

RSoxNo1

Only 5 years too late. Here's hoping that they look at the second half of this decade as a time to catchup. It does sound like the effort will be made to fix DHS and improve DAK. I'm most fearful of Epcot as it seems there isn't much of a plan for that park.

HauntedMansionFLA

Only 5 years too late. Here's hoping that they look at the second half of this decade as a time to catchup. It does sound like the effort will be made to fix DHS and improve DAK. I'm most fearful of Epcot as it seems there isn't much of a plan for that park.
EPCOT has so much potential and space to really make it special. A billion dollar make over with the empty buildings that are already there - a lot could be done

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes

Disney Decade Part Deux?

doctornick

As a visitor, paying money, where am I going to get the superior experience, Disney or Universal? That's what I mean, and I disagree that 'the facts' prove Disney is a superior guest experience, for reasons I've already mentioned where I think Universal has them beat.

IMHO, the answer is -- right now -- Disney offers the overall superior experience. Now, mind you, Uni is rapidly closing the gap, but up until the late 2000's, it wasn't even remotely close between the two resorts. The thing is that for frequent guests (especially locals with APs), Uni has been adding a ton of new stuff and is "fresh" so it is likely to appeal more to that group. But IMHO for infrequent or first time guests, WDW has more to offer as a total experience.

Someone asked in what areas WDW is clearly superior and I would argue the following:
* large scale entertainment. Shows like Wishes, Fantasmic! and ROE plus the MK parades are superior to what is available at Uni. Even the limited stuff like the Frozen and SW fireworks fit this. I expect RoL to continue this trend. I'm actually surprised that Uni hasn't added a lagoon show to IOA.
* calm, sedate "family rides". While Uni has some decent rides of this time, their "ground breaking" rides tend to have a lot of movement and can be jarring for the people who want more relaxing experience rides. This is a big benefit to Disney because these types of rides (think POTC, IASW, HM, SSE, LWTL, Buzz, TSMM, etc.) can be experienced by everyone and doesn't exclude any potential guests. Uni has a smaller number (and less impressive, though ET is cool) of such rides.
* better water parks (hey, this might change with Volcano Bay but right now at least)

WDW also has more variety of restaurants (and arguably better quick service options), greater quantity/variety of M&G (if you are into that sort of thing). There's more "resort" activities present (golf, water sports, carriage rides, movie nights, etc.) if you are looking for that.

That being said, it is silly to suggest that Uni doesn't have some aspects where they have met, if not exceeded, WDW. Certainly the newest rides at Uni are groundbreaking compared to offerings at WDW.

Edit: I should also point out that there's also a lot more total "stuff" to occupy your time in the parks at WDW. Even discounting the differences in total rides between the resorts, you have a lot of shows, streetmosphere and "walking around" areas (animal trails at DAK, TSI, the countries at Epcot) at WDW which help to make a full vacation. Uni certainly has a decent mix of rides and some of those types of activities, but to to anywhere the same degree as WDW.

Last edited:

Rutt

IMHO, the answer is -- right now -- Disney offers the overall superior experience. Now, mind you, Uni is rapidly closing the gap, but up until the late 2000's, it wasn't even remotely close between the two resorts. The thing is that for frequent guests (especially locals with APs), Uni has been adding a ton of new stuff and is "fresh" so it is likely to appeal more to that group. But IMHO for infrequent or first time guests, WDW has more to offer as a total experience.

Someone asked in what areas WDW is clearly superior and I would argue the following:
* large scale entertainment. Shows like Wishes, Fantasmic! and ROE plus the MK parades are superior to what is available at Uni. Even the limited stuff like the Frozen and SW fireworks fit this. I expect RoL to continue this trend. I'm actually surprised that Uni hasn't added a lagoon show to IOA.
* calm, sedate "family rides". While Uni has some decent rides of this time, their "ground breaking" rides tend to have a lot of movement and can be jarring for the people who want more relaxing experience rides. This is a big benefit to Disney because these types of rides (think POTC, IASW, HM, SSE, LWTL, Buzz, TSMM, etc.) can be experienced by everyone and doesn't exclude any potential guests. Uni has a smaller number (and less impressive, though ET is cool) of such rides.
* better water parks (hey, this might change with Volcano Bay but right now at least)

WDW also has more variety of restaurants (and arguably better quick service options), greater quantity/variety of M&G (if you are into that sort of thing). There's more "resort" activities present (golf, water sports, carriage rides, movie nights, etc.) if you are looking for that.

That being said, it is silly to suggest that Uni doesn't have some aspects where they have met, if not exceeded, WDW. Certainly the newest rides at Uni are groundbreaking compared to offerings at WDW.
Well said, now can we all move on and discuss DHS instead?

doctornick

Yes please, curious - how many acres does Lights, Motor and Action take up? It would be sweet to put CrasLand in that space.

Cars Land in DCA takes up a lot of space, but a huge chunk of that is the mountains and show building/ride space for RSR. The "town" of Radiator Springs is not nearly as large. If there were to forgo a full mountain backdrop and have a smaller ride for the E-ticket instead of RSR (and if it is a dark ride without the racing, it would probably require less space since you need a lot more track for the "fast" portions) you could do that fairly easily in the LMA + Catastrophe Canyon space. Which would still leave a ton of the old Backlot Tour footprint for TSPL and plenty of other Pixar attractions -- they they want to build some.

I just hope that if they do indeed build a version of Cars Land at DCA that they have more than just a single dark ride for an attraction. But if they are using versions of Mater's and (new) Luigi's in TSPL, I wonder if anything else would be added. I have thought that a version of Goofy's paint house from Tokyo would be great for Ramone's store in town (instead of it being merch like in DCA). But in terms of rides, who knows....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes please, curious - how many acres does Lights, Motor and Action take up? It would be sweet to put CrasLand in that space.

When the Carsland rumor first surfaced people did some cut and paste with the maps and figured out that you could just about squeeze an exact copy of the DCA's Carsland into the space currently used by LMA, Backlot and a few backstage buildings. With that said it seems very unlikely that DHS will get a carbon copy of Carsland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom