DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Wikkler

Are you sure you are actually talking about Universal? Let's look at the most recent new rides at Universal:

Forbidden Journey - Not a coaster.
Escape from Gringotts - I guess you could call this a coaster, but's it more a dark ride then coaster.
Hogwarts Express - Not a coaster.
Transformers - Not a coaster
Kang and Kodos Spinner - Not a coaster
King Kong - Not going to be a retheme or a coaster

Dragon Challenge - Re themed coaster
Flight of Hippogriff - Re themed coaster

Despicable Me - Re theme from an old IP that isn't very popular anymore to something new and popular.
Let me join in.

"New" rides with different ride systems at Universal since 5 years ago (March 12, 2010):
  1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - Official opening June 18, 2010
  2. Transformers: The Ride - Soft opening May 23, 2013, Official opening June 20
  3. Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl - Official opening August 11, 2013
  4. Hogwarts Express - Official opening July 1, 2014
  5. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts - Official opening July 8, 2014

"New" rides at Disney since the same date:
  1. Journey of the Little Mermaid - Soft opening October 12, 2012, Official opening December 6
  2. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Soft opening May 21, 2014, Official opening May 28
And to top it all off, "New" rides at SeaWorld since that date:
  1. Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin - Official opening May 24, 2013

Last edited:

Wikkler

Nothing Universal does is actually designed to appeal to kids under 9 years old.
8644987465_495fa5191e_b.jpg

8568112826_a1b9130582_b.jpg

13919804851_07d744e8b7_b.jpg

5469987865_524cd40578_b.jpg

263167339_7fe51045aa_o.jpg

Grumpy1973

The problem with uni is that its already stale. I can't fit on the new harry potter ride in Hogwarts. The want shop was poorly designed and takes ages to get in , dueling dragons was just renamed.

From the late 80s to the early 90s I think the only ride that still exists at universal is ET , I believe everything else has been replaced at this point . So while its nice to get new rides nothing sticks around and sometimes you get a great experience like the mummy and sometimes you get twister.

Disney is able to keep updating classics while building new stuff. Like I said Disney added to magic kingdom , has animal kingdom getting a big make over with avatar and other changes , you also capacity increases at Hollywood and Epcot . We also have d23 in few months .

While I agree that running through some parks in less than a day isn't ideal , I go twice a year , my gf and I go without my nice and nephew once a year. There is no reason when we are alone to sit through beauty and the best , little mermaid and Disney junior. So we do rocking roller coaster , tower , indie , star towers , Muppets and the great movie ride. Sometimes we are done before lunch so we sit and eat lunch and then hop over to animal kingdom and do the safari , Everest , Dino and a couple of the trails and end with dinner and go home .

With universal I can do the same by buying a fast pass. I can do both parks in a single day and enjoy everything I wanted to enjoy have a great lunch and dinner and be out and on the way home. But after that there is no reason to go back , at least at Disney I till have Epcot nd magic kingdom
DO WE NOT HAVE A SPELL-CHECK ON HERE AND IF WE DO NOT CAN WE PLEASE GET ONE!?!

Vegas Disney Fan

That's only true for the kind of guests who just like to do 'the rides', and tick things off with no interest in exploring different worlds, taking in the theming and soaking up the tiny little details. You can spend a day in Diagon Alley alone doing that.

I think that's true of both parks. I can spend a day at AK just taking it all in but for many it's a half day park because its lack of rides. Exploring is what separates an amusement park from a theme park, there are plenty of parks (Cedar Point, Six Flags, etc) with better rides and a better ride selection than both Disney and Uni but because they aren't extravagantly themed they aren't even in the same category.

I don't think Uni has any chance whatsoever of passing Disney.

Disney and Universal have two different target audiences, I think. Disney isn't going to compete with thrill-seekers. It never has..

They could possibly pass AK or HS but I don't think Uni even has the physical capacity to pass MK, they'd have to double attendance and the parks would be so packed they'd be miserable.

Even though they cater to different crowds there's such a big overlap I think everyone benefits from them being so close together. I don't think anyone will ever compete with Disney for the pre-teen group, it's a market Disney dominates on TV, movies, and the parks. This means most families with young children will favor Disney. Uni's bread and butter is teens and up who are looking for something a bit more exciting than Disney, which includes families with teens. There is no reason they can't co-exist and every new addition helps both parks.

Last edited:

Chicagoshannon2

Let me join in.

"New" rides with different ride systems at Universal since 5 years ago (March 12, 2010):
  1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - Official opening June 18, 2010
  2. Transformers: The Ride - Soft opening May 23, 2013, Official opening June 20
  3. Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl - Official opening August 11, 2013
  4. Hogwarts Express - Official opening July 1, 2014
  5. Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts - Official opening July 8, 2014

"New" rides (including reskins) at Disney since the same date:
  1. Journey of the Little Mermaid - Soft opening October 12, 2012, Official opening December 6
  2. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Soft opening May 21, 2014, Official opening May 28
And to top it all off, "New" rides at SeaWorld since that date:
  1. Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin - Official opening May 24, 2013
Sea World also added Turtle Trek in, I think, 2012.

Jake Wilson

Apples to apples, if there were some reason that you were forced to pick WDW or US for the only theme park you and your family could go to for the rest of your life with no exceptions. What would your choice be and why?
I know with no doubt mine would be WDW, there is nothing as magical it completely covers all ages of the family from the shows to the more exciting coasters. Hands down it is the only company I would invest in, believe in and actually get a return on. I know this is me just mumbling about nothing, but I know I can always count on an amazing trip no matter what age, with myself, or a romantic date, a thrill day with the guys or a wholesome magical adventure with my kids or the Grandparents. Uni is awesome but it can not compete with Disneys history and approach to cover all the bases.
WDW has invested a lot and if it had all gone to rides it would be unbelievable! I prefer the options that are given instead, Themed hotels with individual uniqueness to each one. They offer amazing shopping and dining that with so many options never becomes mundane and boring. The education side and wild life with options of personal tours to get behind the scenes and feel special. The sport fans can be fulfilled with options between surfing all the way to NASCAR, yet still offer family friendly bowling and arcades. Not to mention the transportation offered starting as you arrive to the airport. I can always count on a clean room and to be treated like family.
If this was all taken away and put into just the parks imagine the rides that could be there. In the end Disney offers something that is just untouchable, I give kudos to Universal for giving Disney a run for its money, especially in such a short time period. For now Disney is and will remain the crown holder and king of the amusement industry.

Just my 2 cents.

Kman101

The poster's not wrong though. It is becoming a trend again to have it be Universal vs. Disney. I love both. I'm just sayin', but RH Kelly isn't really far off. I see the same thing going on, on both ends.

Rutt

The poster's not wrong though. It is becoming a trend again to have it be Universal vs. Disney. I love both. I'm just sayin', but RH Kelly isn't really far off. I see the same thing going on, on both ends.

Thank you, and YES it is both sides.
We all get entrenched on either side of the equation. Again I love both, obviously more so disney which is why i spend all day on here bugging you guys.
It just gets tiring reading the same thing on every single thread about changes at Disney.
As for the actual topic, I am super excited to see what they do with tpfkamgms/tpstbkadha.
I think they have a golden opportunity to make this park into something special.

BrerJon

As for the actual topic, I am super excited to see what they do with tpfkamgms/tpstbkadha.
I think they have a golden opportunity to make this park into something special.

And that's exactly what Disney needs to do if it's to stop the tide of comparisons to Universal. Instead of bawling their eyes out that people keep comparing them to the resort up the road, they should just man up and put their enormous amounts of money where their mouth is and shut the doubters up for good.

Unfortunately until the days when Disney is superior once more, or can at least match the quality of Universal's offerings, those comparisons will be a regular thing on these boards.

Goofyernmost

And that's exactly what Disney needs to do if it's to stop the tide of comparisons to Universal. Instead of bawling their eyes out that people keep comparing them to the resort up the road, they should just man up and put their enormous amounts of money where their mouth is and shut the doubters up for good.

Unfortunately until the days when Disney is superior once more, or can at least match the quality of Universal's offerings, those comparisons will be a regular thing on these boards.
Heavens, you must be living under the misguided conception that anyone in Disney has lost a moments sleep worrying about what the evil empire up the road is doing. They may be starting to realize that they have to start investing more, if for no other reason then to have a tax write-off, via depreciation, but, they are not worried about Universal at all, not as long as they own half the land in central Florida. Universal doesn't stand a chance of ever overtaking them as #1. Just can't happen without Florida losing 50% of it's overall tourist trade. Plus convincing millions of parents that taking their kids to Disney is something that would be bad for them.

Rutt

I get what youre trying to say and all, but until Uni becomes more than a 1-2 day add on to your Disney vacation, I don't think anyone in the World is too concerned.

Also, while Uni has recently added the much cooler stuff, I wouldn't classify them as 'superior' in any way.

Lets call a spade a spade.

doctornick

I get what youre trying to say and all, but until Uni becomes more than a 1-2 day add on to your Disney vacation, I don't think anyone in the World is too concerned.

I think that's underselling Uni a bit, but to be honest I do think that the number of days that WDW loses to Uni now is still probably less than the number of days they pick up from people travelling to Florida because of Diagon (or other Uni offerings) as something new but also going to WDW. Because the reality is that relatively few people who vacation in central Florida skip WDW altogether.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom