DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As for adding capacity increasing demand for the rides... that's not how supply and demand works. Typically supply (number of available spots at a particular attraction) and demand (willingness to wait a certain period of time) intersect. After the point of intersection any increase to supply is an exercise in futility. Right now, the demand for both attractions exceeds the supply. Increasing the supply will change the graph, but it will do so in a way that benefits more guests. Tell me again, how this is a problem?
Actually, that's not quite right either. Demand for an attraction varies in relation to cost. Lower cost gives you higher demand. "Cost" in this case includes "time spent waiting". If you decrease the wait time, you'll increase demand. Increasing supply will decrease wait time, raising demand, until we find a new equilibrium, which will be at a higher level of demand with a lower wait time.

HauntedMansionFLA

A little while back, DHS closed down TSM for FastPass Plus only for several days. Was that to get a head count on how many people can they get through each hour? Would they make one of the tracks FastPass Plus only?

joup7

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, if so I apologize. While there is theory to suggest that the 3rd track for Toy Story (and for Soarin) won't decrease wait times as more people will get on line that don't previously, or to redo it, or to take up more Fast Pass, I think this will actually help the rest of the park. If we are increasing capacity of these rides by 50%, where are those people coming from. You can't tell me that additional guests are coming to Hollywood Studios JUST because of a 3rd Toy Story track. Those additional riders and those waiting in line are going to come from the other lines.

In short, while Toy Story's lines may not improve, I would expect to see the lines for the rest of the attractions improve. We might also see more FP availability for the other Type A attractions such as Rock N Roller Coaster and Great Movie Ride.

RSoxNo1

A little while back, DHS closed down TSM for FastPass Plus only for several days. Was that to get a head count on how many people can they get through each hour? Would they make one of the tracks FastPass Plus only?
I think the general consensus is that it will be two tracks for Fastpass and one for stand by.

The only thing this really could test is if they needed to actually have a merge point. Based on reports it showed that they probably do need to have a merge point. There are two ways they can handle the three tracks: Have two be just for Fastpass+ and one by for Standby, or have a merge point where some guests are directed to each track. I suspect it will operate similarly to Space Mountain. Most Fastpass guests go right at the merge point, but that isn't always the case.

gljvd

IMHO, if you are running through both parks in just one day you are missing out. You can do all the rides at WDW in one day, people have done it (or at least gotten close), but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Your second point is actually something that a lot of people criticize Disney for, it's become stagnant, some people actually like seeing something new every time they go to a park. I am not sure what your definition of "real magic" is? Jaws was a classic attraction, but I think it was a worth while sacrifice to get Diagon Alley which is a truly magical (pun not intended) area.

The problem with uni is that its already stale. I can't fit on the new harry potter ride in Hogwarts. The want shop was poorly designed and takes ages to get in , dueling dragons was just renamed.

From the late 80s to the early 90s I think the only ride that still exists at universal is ET , I believe everything else has been replaced at this point . So while its nice to get new rides nothing sticks around and sometimes you get a great experience like the mummy and sometimes you get twister.

Disney is able to keep updating classics while building new stuff. Like I said Disney added to magic kingdom , has animal kingdom getting a big make over with avatar and other changes , you also capacity increases at Hollywood and Epcot . We also have d23 in few months .

While I agree that running through some parks in less than a day isn't ideal , I go twice a year , my gf and I go without my nice and nephew once a year. There is no reason when we are alone to sit through beauty and the best , little mermaid and Disney junior. So we do rocking roller coaster , tower , indie , star towers , Muppets and the great movie ride. Sometimes we are done before lunch so we sit and eat lunch and then hop over to animal kingdom and do the safari , Everest , Dino and a couple of the trails and end with dinner and go home .

With universal I can do the same by buying a fast pass. I can do both parks in a single day and enjoy everything I wanted to enjoy have a great lunch and dinner and be out and on the way home. But after that there is no reason to go back , at least at Disney I till have Epcot nd magic kingdom

gljvd

Maybe because when Universal takes away a classic the replacement is almost always as good or even better than what it replaced?
View attachment 85862
You're conveniently ignoring all the classics Disney has taken away that were replaced by something not as good or just plain mediocre. Horizons, original Imagination, Snow White, etc. But no let's ignore all that because Disney is awesome and Universal sucks. And you say we have "a weird freaky double standard" :rolleyes: The only thing worth getting excited about at Disney right now is Avatar, partially because it's bringing the first new E Ticket to WDW in 11 years. Frozen? Please. All it is is the absolute cheapest way to bring it to WDW shoved in an area it doesn't belong in. How I wish they would bring us something on the level of what's rumored for Tokyo. You'll probably love it though because when it comes to Disney, View attachment 85863

Except Disney keeps the majority of their attractions. Yes I miss MR toad's wild ride but I can still go on its a small world. How many classic universal rides are left in the park ? ET ?

Mike S

Except Disney keeps the majority of their attractions. Yes I miss MR toad's wild ride but I can still go on its a small world. How many classic universal rides are left in the park ? ET ?
image.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The problem with uni is that its already stale. I can't fit on the new harry potter ride in Hogwarts. The want shop was poorly designed and takes ages to get in , dueling dragons was just renamed.

From the late 80s to the early 90s I think the only ride that still exists at universal is ET , I believe everything else has been replaced at this point . So while its nice to get new rides nothing sticks around and sometimes you get a great experience like the mummy and sometimes you get twister.

Disney is able to keep updating classics while building new stuff. Like I said Disney added to magic kingdom , has animal kingdom getting a big make over with avatar and other changes , you also capacity increases at Hollywood and Epcot . We also have d23 in few months .

While I agree that running through some parks in less than a day isn't ideal , I go twice a year , my gf and I go without my nice and nephew once a year. There is no reason when we are alone to sit through beauty and the best , little mermaid and Disney junior. So we do rocking roller coaster , tower , indie , star towers , Muppets and the great movie ride. Sometimes we are done before lunch so we sit and eat lunch and then hop over to animal kingdom and do the safari , Everest , Dino and a couple of the trails and end with dinner and go home .

With universal I can do the same by buying a fast pass. I can do both parks in a single day and enjoy everything I wanted to enjoy have a great lunch and dinner and be out and on the way home. But after that there is no reason to go back , at least at Disney I till have Epcot nd magic kingdom

If they are replacing everything how can it be stale? I went to Universal in late 2010, then again last year and in that time they opened Diagon Alley, Tranformers, the new Simpsons area, Despicable Me, the new nightime show, and a bunch of new shops, restaurants and miniature golf course at City Walk.

Captain Chaos

Adam-Sandler-movie-gameshow-host.png

gljvd

If they are replacing everything how can it be stale? I went to Universal in late 2010, then again last year and in that time they opened Diagon Alley, Tranformers, the new Simpsons area, Despicable Me, the new nightime show, and a bunch of new shops, restaurants and miniature golf course at City Walk.
because a lot of us want more than coasters or reskins of old rides which is what most of my experience has been at universal.

its like a step up from great adventure to me.

SJN1279

Agreed with Express or utilizing single rider it is very easier to finish both Universals in one day and eat lunch at Citywalk in between.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
because a lot of us want more than coasters or reskins of old rides which is what most of my experience has been at universal.

its like a step up from great adventure to me.

Are you sure you are actually talking about Universal? Let's look at the most recent new rides at Universal:

Forbidden Journey - Not a coaster.
Escape from Gringotts - I guess you could call this a coaster, but's it more a dark ride then coaster.
Hogwarts Express - Not a coaster.
Transformers - Not a coaster
Kang and Kodos Spinner - Not a coaster
King Kong - Not going to be a retheme or a coaster

Dragon Challenge - Re themed coaster
Flight of Hippogriff - Re themed coaster

Despicable Me - Re theme from an old IP that isn't very popular anymore to something new and popular.

BrerJon

Agreed with Express or utilizing single rider it is very easier to finish both Universals in one day and eat lunch at Citywalk in between.

That's only true for the kind of guests who just like to do 'the rides', and tick things off with no interest in exploring different worlds, taking in the theming and soaking up the tiny little details. You can spend a day in Diagon Alley alone doing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom