DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

DisDan

Not ambitious not in any way. unless you think sticking a molded handle to the top of a building ambitious...
I'm on my phone so I can't reference the artwork that has been floating around. I was trying to say this TSL is MORE ambitious than the others before it. The attraction buildings and the attractions themselves are way more ambitious than the carnival rides in the other parks. We don't yet know the details of the scope and theme in the ride queues or eateries. As I said, at least wait until the land is finished to criticize.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I'm not always sure why some think Imagineering needs to reinvent the wheel every time they do a revamp. Does Toy Story Land fulfill a need for attractions and better theming yes. Do they need to slap 5 "E Ticket" in there? No. They need a lot more C and D. I hope we get more things eventually but for now they need more attractions asap to keep people from avoiding this park. And for now, a lot of people are doing that. Star Wars Land looks great. I think we can all see that once those lands are done, eventually we'll get more. Do I wish they'd pour 5 billion into Epcot and DHS? Yeah ,but that's their money and they aren't gonna do it.

Personally, I see more positive than negative at TSL but I'll reserve judgement until we get more concrete plans revealed.

Last edited:

SirLink

I'm not always sure why some thing Imagineering needs to reinvent the wheel every time they do a revamp. Does Toy Story Land fulfill a need for attractions and better theming yes. Do they need to slap 5 "E Ticket" in there? No. They need a lot more C and D. I hope we get more things eventually but for now they need more attractions asap to keep people from avoiding this park. And for now, a lot of people are doing that. Star Wars Land looks great. I think we can all see that once those lands are done, eventually we'll get more. Do I wish they'd pour 5 billion into Epcot and DHS? Yeah ,but that's their money and they aren't gonna do it.

Personally, I see more positive than negative TSL but I'll reserve judgement until we get more concrete plans revealed.

Well last time WDI even turned to wheel was IJA at DL. Also no one is asking for it to have 5 "E Tickets", just a better use of theme or generic Pixar theme. If it costs more than $250m for TSL they paid too much. So hope bounds all eternal I guess.

N.B. TSL won't come quickly either looking like mid 2018, I'd be shocked if it opens any sooner.

Sped2424

Nah. Give them their own purpose built attraction. In an area that fits. Maelstrom is too much already.
Aerosmith is not really definitive hollywood and is already a stretch ;) But I was just mentioning that if they did do it Guardian's soundtrack could be used an alternative. My opinion is not a greenlight button and I think maelstrom and this are two very different places given the fact that hollywood is already a frankenstein monster of Ip's while Epcot was holding out from becoming that. At least in the world showcase.

Sped2424

Aside from the fact that they appeared in several films, and their music has been featured on numerous soundtracks, and they've won an Academy Award....
That's fine but I don't see hollywood blv and the sunset strip and think Aerosmith. I wasn't undermining their accomplishments, just stating they are not the first thing for anyone to come to mind when thinking of sunset boulevard. Granted guardians is the furthest thing from that even more so, but I was just mentioning an ip that could handle the coaster soundtrack format.

Disneyhead'71

Aerosmith is not really definitive hollywood and is already a stretch ;) But I was just mentioning that if they did do it Guardian's soundtrack could be used an alternative. My opinion is not a greenlight button and I think maelstrom and this are two very different places given the fact that hollywood is already a frankenstein monster of Ip's while Epcot was holding out from becoming that. At least in the world showcase.
"Make that a super stretch."

doctornick

Sadly? It thrills me. I like that layout better.

Layout-wise, it should be far better. But my guess is that the "sadly" is referring to removal of Echo Lake and using the buildings close to that (like 50's prime time and the Frozen theater) to be replaced by Star Wars instead of keeping them and developing new land that would expand the park's footprint and generate more offerings for guests.

ToTBellHop

Layout-wise, it should be far better. But my guess is that the "sadly" is referring to removal of Echo Lake and using the buildings close to that (like 50's prime time and the Frozen theater) to be replaced by Star Wars instead of keeping them and developing new land that would expand the park's footprint and generate more offerings for guests.
Indeed. Some were hoping for a Star Wars expansion that would be an actual expansion for the park.

ctrlaltdel

Not only that but they still run the risk of contuining to restrict movement within the park. TSL will help in that regard, but I would be a little worried about access to the current SoA/LMA area, especially with people clogging up SWL. If they build SWL in the parking lot they could more easily improve access to the back of the park.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I've not seen a thread for this yet, but in light of Toy Story Land's speculated location, I have to ask....IS THE CLOCK NOW TICKING ON THE WATER TOWER?!?!?!?!

What do I think personally or what do I think regarding its merits and possibility?

I agree with Martin in that it's possible. Likely? We're still two years out. Anything can change. So IDK.

Personally, I like echo lake and would prefer a different footprint. I like the "Hollywood that never was/never will be" theme.

Also, I think they would Miss the opportunity to add Much needed table service restaurant capacity If they continue down the speculated path. That being among a lot of criticisms I would have with those plans.

Then again.... Two years out. Anything can happen.

Next Big Thing

Because of the risk to the Echo Lake area.

Do it properly. Push it back further. The parking lot will be affected anyway.
Yeah, seems silly to use only a bit of the parking lot. Use that whole area and not only are we saving actual space within the current boundaries, they're ACTUALLY expanding the park by a decent amount.

Only dipping into the lot a little bit is a waste of an opportunity.

stretchsje

They had me at "14 acres."

Of all the things closed or closing, I'm surprised Echo Lake is even worth a mention on that list. (My boys will be devastated when Indy and LMA close.)

What really surprises me is the closure of dining. If they're really removing a popular revenue-maker like 50's Prime Time (again, I think they could relocate the entrance, but I digress) then that tells me they must have something important planned for that transition area. Disney is hugely reluctant to close income-generators. In fact, the only other ones I can think of were at Downtown Disney (House of Blues, Pleasure Island). Surely there is some unavoidable reason why Disney would rather close a revenue-generating restaurant than convert more parking lot. Surely. Right? I mean, character SW dining didn't have to go in that specific location. The two restaurants could coexist.

I, like others, was expecting an X-Wing to get dropped into a Dagobah swamp (formerly "Echo Lake") but again, I digress.

Lynn Stephens

At the end of the day, no one who posts here is as talented at conceptualizing, designing and building attractions and themes as well as WDI. If you were as talented you would be too busy conceptualizing, designing and building attractions and themes all around the world. Let them do their job. The budget is there. The expectations are there. They will deliver because they have to.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I appreciate the time you spent outlining a time frame for the next few years and it seems very close to reality. Please remove the Disney Springs Mall from that list. It's not a theme park.

*1023*

If Walt Disney World wants to remain a resort where people come and stay as one location without leaving the property, Disney Springs is going to be a key element of that. Just look at any tourist city, town or location now and a shopping area is key to getting visitors to that location.

Lynn Stephens

If Walt Disney World wants to remain a resort where people come and stay as one location without leaving the property, Disney Springs is going to be a key element of that. Just look at any tourist city, town or location now and a shopping area is key to getting visitors to that location.
The number one tourist attraction in Texas is the San Marcos Outlet Mall. (The Alamo & San Antonio River Walk are second to a mall.) I completely agree with DVCOwner.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What do I think personally or what do I think regarding its merits and possibility?

I agree with Martin in that it's possible. Likely? We're still two years out. Anything can change. So IDK.

Personally, I like echo lake and would prefer a different footprint. I like the "Hollywood that never was/never will be" theme.

Also, I think they would Miss the opportunity to add Much needed table service restaurant capacity If they continue down the speculated path. That being among a lot of criticisms I would have with those plans.

Then again.... Two years out. Anything can happen.

With the Chinese economy tanking and the stock dropping like a rock, The likelihood of nothing at all happening at all except for the tumbleweeds blowing through the closed attractions is growing greater by the day.

The sad thing is if Disney were not so focused on limiting CAPEX spend on P&R and built things at the rate which they once did we would see more of these things actually happening instead of falling victim to the winds of Wall St when the Wall St environment turns sour for a quarter or two.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
At the end of the day, no one who posts here is as talented at conceptualizing, designing and building attractions and themes as well as WDI. If you were as talented you would be too busy conceptualizing, designing and building attractions and themes all around the world. Let them do their job. The budget is there. The expectations are there. They will deliver because they have to.

At the end of the day many talented Imagineers DO post here, With Eddie Sotto being the most well known and public. The key issue is not what the Imagineers are able to do, It's what they are ALLOWED to do and many of them have quit WDI and joined UNI Creative and other design consultancies.

Much of the better 'armchair imagineering' is being done by REAL imagineers who want to let their imaginations run free and not be constrained to build 'cheap' stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom