DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Tod&BigMamaOdie

I usually do not post much as a) I do not feel that I have the time required to fully engage in discussion and 2) most people value their brain cells.
But, allow me to add some of my opinions and thoughts to the echo chamber.

I am happy with what they have announced thus far. But, in my mind, there has to be more that they are holding back for whatever reason, whether it be for future PR or fan pleasing, or as a counter to a competitor, or to gauge fan acceptance and thus possibly letting plans slip into the next coffee book. That’s up to them; so mote it be.

However, I do believe there is more to come, or there better be, based on two factors. One is budget. 2.8 billion should buy a lot. I do not know the cost involved but for what has been announced to date, it does not equate with that amount - to me.

Secondly when SWL opens, the attendance will increase (understatement IMO). I do not keep up with the numbers but it seems as if Universal saw a quite nice % increase in attendance from Potter. Star Wars will bring in at least the same % increase, I believe. Jumping from 9 million per year to 11-12 million per year at the current level will be disastrous. Park capacity will need to be planned to account for the projected attendance or guest satisfaction, despite how well done SWL (and TSL) may be, will suffer. ETA - What's been announced thus far is not enough.

Tod&BigMamaOdie

One thing to remember about Star Wars and it's impending crowds. DHS has already had a Star Wars ride for 24 years. And they have been doing Star Wars Weekends for years. The land will be massively popular, but the franchise doesn't really have a pent up demand.
It will definitely be interesting to watch. Was a simulator ride in a theme park about making the movies enough to satisfy guests hunger for more? Or will the chance to be fully immersed into the Star Wars world, along with (hopefully) some awesome attractions, entice them to flood the gates?

Disneyhead'71

There will be a flood, but not like Potter. But the numbers should drop off very slowly after the initial crush as the older fans make their way there because they waited for the crowds to die down. That is sort of what happened with Potter 2.0.

CinematicFusion

I just hope with the market and Disney looking like it might go into a correction that this doesn't delay the park build outs.
Disney didn't give a date, they just said it's coming.
If a market correction happens and they usualy start just before a new presidential cycle(look at the history), I fear delays.
Disney has already lost 20% of it's value since beginning of August. Down again huge on strong volume.

I hope plans to build are already set in motion and not based on the moves of the market.

Disneyhead'71

I just hope with the market and Disney looking like it might go into a correction that this doesn't delay the park build outs.
If a market correction happens and they usualy start just before a new presidential cycle(look at the history), I fear delays.
Disney has already lost 20% of it's value since beginning of August. Down again huge on strong volume.

I hope plans to build are already set in motion and not based on the moves of the market.
Combine that with what's happening in China and things can get wonky fast.

Everyone cross your fingers and hope for the best.

ctrlaltdel

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Disney stock price was overvalued in the first place. They need to (and probably are) coming up with new ways to diversify their assets (moving sports coverage online, streaming their own content, etc.) Disney is an incredibly resilient company and their market cap is still like 3x what it was just 3 years ago. China could hurt it, but if Disney is going to hit tough times, we have a lot bigger things to worry about.

Magenta Panther

What strange logic.

Yet more wishful thinking on your part. Why would the next CEO, who will likely be Iger's protege Tom Staggs, cut a highly-anticipated and well publicised park expansion based on the most popular film franchise in the world?.

It's not so much wishful thinking as a reflection of past behavior on the part of TDO. Remember how excited we all were about New Fantasyland? And what we got? Even the Orlando Sentinel called it "disappointing".

And why would the next CEO cut an expansion "based on the most popular film franchise in the world?" Frozenstrom. There's your answer.

Ragerunner

I have been following all the news here and I have a question (if I missed it I apologize). Has Disney officially announced that the 3rd TSM track will open in 2016 or will they hold back on that until the new land opens in (2017?)?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have been following all the news here and I have a question (if I missed it I apologize). Has Disney officially announced that the 3rd TSM track will open in 2016 or will they hold back on that until the new land opens in (2017?)?

Yes, they have said they expect it to me complete by late 2016.

Ragerunner

Potential look at Central Florida region's big 4 through 2021
If this list is even close, it going to be a great 5-6 years as a theme park fan

WDW

So after reading a lot of comments does the following time frames (even though many have not been announced) seem logical and doable on Disney construction time frames?

2015/16:
Epcot - Frozen Ever After, Soarin 3rd theater and new movie;
DHS - Update to Star Tours, Star Wars Celebration, Star Wars Launch Bay, new theater (for Frozen?) and maybe a new Villain Show at Beauty and the Beast Theater;
Animal Kingdom - RoL and Night Time Safari;
Magic Kingdom - New Adventureland restaurant and finished hub.
Disney Springs

2017: Toy Story Land

Late 2017/2018 - Pandora

2019 - Star Wars Land with first E ride

2020 - Magic Kingdom updates/new ride and/or new ride/updated attraction at Epcot

2021 - Birthday Celebration, Magic Kingdom updates and second E ride at Star Wars Land, new parades and night time shows

Universal Studios Orlando

2016:
IoA - Reign of Kong, Hulk Update
US - Hello Kitty and potential new Fallon attraction in Twister building

2017 - Volcano Bay, Fast and Furious Ride, additional update to Marvel Island, hotel

2018 - Nintendo at US

2019 - new attraction at IO (potential Potter related) and new resorts

2020 - more Nintendo at US

2021 - IO attraction

Sea World

2016 - Mako

2017 - new show?

2018/19 - Killer Whale exhibit

2020 - new ride

2021 - new show?

Busch Gardens

2016 - Cobra's Curse

2017 - new show in Morocco Theater

2018 - Resort hotel, Gwazi redo

2019 - new show

2020 - family ride

2021 - new coaster

Last edited:

AEfx

It will definitely be interesting to watch. Was a simulator ride in a theme park about making the movies enough to satisfy guests hunger for more? Or will the chance to be fully immersed into the Star Wars world, along with (hopefully) some awesome attractions, entice them to flood the gates?

It's going to flood and DHS (or whatever it's called at that point) will become the #2 park at WDW so quickly it's not even funny.

You should see what folks are saying about this on non-Disney sites. Even just with the announcement anticipation is massive and people are going bonkers. Couple that with the fact that Star Wars is about to have the renaissance to end all renaissances of any franchise ever, and it's a sure-fire gate buster.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's going to flood and DHS (or whatever it's called at that point) will become the #2 park at WDW so quickly it's not even funny.

You should see what folks are saying about this on non-Disney sites. Even just with the announcement anticipation is massive and people are going bonkers. Couple that with the fact that Star Wars is about to have the renaissance to end all renaissances of any franchise ever, and it's a sure-fire gate buster.

Now we'll see if it actually gets built

fgmnt

I usually do not post much as a) I do not feel that I have the time required to fully engage in discussion and 2) most people value their brain cells.
But, allow me to add some of my opinions and thoughts to the echo chamber.

I am happy with what they have announced thus far. But, in my mind, there has to be more that they are holding back for whatever reason, whether it be for future PR or fan pleasing, or as a counter to a competitor, or to gauge fan acceptance and thus possibly letting plans slip into the next coffee book. That’s up to them; so mote it be.

However, I do believe there is more to come, or there better be, based on two factors. One is budget. 2.8 billion should buy a lot. I do not know the cost involved but for what has been announced to date, it does not equate with that amount - to me.

Secondly when SWL opens, the attendance will increase (understatement IMO). I do not keep up with the numbers but it seems as if Universal saw a quite nice % increase in attendance from Potter. Star Wars will bring in at least the same % increase, I believe. Jumping from 9 million per year to 11-12 million per year at the current level will be disastrous. Park capacity will need to be planned to account for the projected attendance or guest satisfaction, despite how well done SWL (and TSL) may be, will suffer. ETA - What's been announced thus far is not enough.

One thing the Studios has never had that Epcot has always had, MK used to have, and AK is now getting is infrastructure to handle crowds. Some of the thoroughfares in the studios (namely Pixar Place) are some of the narrowest on any Disney property, it's riddled with dead ends on the right side of the park and even I can get turned around in SoA despite having been to Disney annually for the last decade. Animal Kingdom hopefully is building itself out the "right" way: adding in more table service restaurants, refreshing attractions, moving attractions to better facilities, finishing the outer loop, and bringing in nighttime entertainment before they flip the switch on Avatar. I think that park will be ready in 2017. DHS could get two or three types of worse over the next 5 years before it gets better.

FrankLapidus

It's not so much wishful thinking as a reflection of past behavior on the part of TDO. Remember how excited we all were about New Fantasyland? And what we got? Even the Orlando Sentinel called it "disappointing".

And that means the same thing is going to happen again? Star Wars is already the biggest film franchise in history, already a proven draw for the park and about to grow hugely as an intellectual property with a new trilogy and a number of spin-off films on the horizon. Bearing all of that in mind and taking into account what we've heard about the budget for this project and the early details we have about Star Wars from D23 with a lot more to come, I'm prepared to give Disney a chance and retain som cautious expectation that they know the opportunity they have to create something really spectacular at DHS amidst improving competition in Orlando. Its early days but I really don't believe that this is going to be another New Fantasyland.

And why would the next CEO cut an expansion "based on the most popular film franchise in the world?" Frozenstrom. There's your answer.

What?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom