DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

djkidkaz

Can someone explain to me how in the world Star Wars would work in Echo Lake? How do you transition from old Hollywood to Star Wars? I think echo lake is just too close to the great movie ride and the park hub of old Hollywood to work. There needs to be a transition out of the old Hollywood theme.

DisDan

Can someone explain to me how in the world Star Wars would work in Echo Lake? How do you transition from old Hollywood to Star Wars? I think echo lake is just too close to the great movie ride and the park hub of old Hollywood to work. There needs to be a transition out of the old Hollywood theme.

There really isn't an easy way to transition to a Galaxy Far Far away from Hollywood Blvd. I mean all they can do is build some sort of Entry way (Arch?) themed to star wars to let visitors know they are entering a new "land" in the park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, it seems odd to having this Star Wars "expansion" mostly be a replacement of existing structures. The park needs increased capacity in terms of both walking space and more options for activities. With Star Wars and the crowds it would bring, you need plenty of food service. Don't just replace H&V/50s Prime Time -- add to the offerings by keeping them and building new Star Wars ones too.

If they truly have all this money going to infrastructure and plan to build a parking deck, it is IMHO silly not to make a significant push into the cast parking area.

Also, isn't it odd that they would be willing to spend a ton of money to literally move backstage buildings and tear them down in Anaheim, but they seem reluctant to build on practically empty land in DHS but need to repurpose existing park stuff?

It's because since Iger arrived Disney has developed an attitude of let's do everything at WDW on the cheap, No other reason.

ctrlaltdel

It wouldn't change the flow it would create a giant bottleneck on the left side of the park. Makes more sense to keep most of Echo Lake as is and create a proper transition into SWL. I would even leave IJ Stunt Show for now and eventually you could use that to expand SWL or put in a new IJ attraction. But that's just me.
It would certainly be ideal to expand DHS into the parking lot to accommodate SWL. Hopefully it happens and what we've heard has changed or isn't true. Not holding my breath though.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Design wise, they can do an amazing job, it doesn't mean the placement is correct. See Frozenstrom, the possibility of Star Wars taking over Echo Lake ... although I'm sure location decisions aren't up to them, right? I'd guess they are told to 'make this work'

Yup and that's the root of the problem, Back in the pre-Iger day's WDI had a free hand at designing the attraction and it's location so attractions and lands flowed seamlessly. Now some suit says Boy make this attraction fit HERE and I don't want any lip out of you.

Disneyhead'71

Wow, you guys are not very creative.

I don't want a smooth transition into Star Wars Land. I want a jaw dropping reveal.

Say, to the left of the Chinese Theater they build The El Capitan with Star Wars on the marquee. You go in like your entering the theater. There is a grand lobby complete with crystal chandeliers, 2 concession stands that have flavored popcorn. And 3 entrances to the "theater". Go through one of the entrances, left, right, BOOM!

Last edited:

G WDW

I think a great transition to SWL would be several different walkways. Long, winding walkways with plenty of foliage as you transition from palm trees and Hollywood to rocks and whatever SWL is going to look like. To me, that's better than just an archway off of a main road (kind of like DinoLand USA or Adventureland. This would especially work well if they decide to (hopefully) keep the Echo Lake area and expand the park into the parking lot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would love for the lands to 'flow'. A perfect example of this would be how Fantasyland slowly becomes Frontierland in MK.

Phicinfan

There really isn't an easy way to transition to a Galaxy Far Far away from Hollywood Blvd. I mean all they can do is build some sort of Entry way (Arch?) themed to star wars to let visitors know they are entering a new "land" in the park.
Wouldn't be cool to walk through a tunnel, that acts like a jump to light speed, and then end up in the regular world??? Kind of taking the HP from Uni idea of transition and use.....I would LOVE it

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
It's because since Iger arrived Disney has developed an attitude of let's do everything at WDW on the cheap, No other reason.

I have not seen that lately. My understanding that the original plans for Downtown Disney when redone cost more than the original. I hear rumors of Pandora only getting one ride, but it looks like the boat ride is being built. If the numbers being tossed around for the Hollywood Studios redo is as high as we are reading, it looks to me that the lean years at Walt Disney World may have turned around and Disney is once again spending on the parks. Some people look at the glass half full, you look at it empty.

ToTBellHop

Wouldn't be cool to walk through a tunnel, that acts like a jump to light speed, and then end up in the regular world??? Kind of taking the HP from Uni idea of transition and use.....I would LOVE it
Forgive, I'm not an obsessed fan but I have seen to movies a few times (not within a few years, though). Do they do the light speed thing in Star Wars? Thought that was more Star Trek.

ToTBellHop

I have not seen that lately. My understanding that the original plans for Downtown Disney when redone cost more than the original. I hear rumors of Pandora only getting one ride, but it looks like the boat ride is being built. If the numbers being tossed around for the Hollywood Studios redo is as high as we are reading, it looks to me that the lean years at Walt Disney World may have turned around and Disney is once again spending on the parks. Some people look at the glass half full, you look at it empty.
Agreed. These are optimistic times at WDW. The next decade should be a complete turnaround from the last.

Disneyhead'71

Finally. Someone is building the REO Speedwagon Land. It is about freaking time. The Riding the Storm Out dark ride is rumored to be EPIC!
Those guys were great.......until High Infidelity. 157 Riverside Ave. Turkey Trot, Tuna Trot, and of course, Riding The Storm Out

BTW, my first rock concert was Walter Egan (Magnet and Steel), Sweet (Fox on the Run, Ballroom Blitz), and REO. 1977.

truecoat

I'm not always sure why some think Imagineering needs to reinvent the wheel every time they do a revamp. Does Toy Story Land fulfill a need for attractions and better theming yes. Do they need to slap 5 "E Ticket" in there? No. They need a lot more C and D. I hope we get more things eventually but for now they need more attractions asap to keep people from avoiding this park. And for now, a lot of people are doing that. Star Wars Land looks great. I think we can all see that once those lands are done, eventually we'll get more. Do I wish they'd pour 5 billion into Epcot and DHS? Yeah ,but that's their money and they aren't gonna do it.

Personally, I see more positive than negative at TSL but I'll reserve judgement until we get more concrete plans revealed.

Yes, C and D tickets that kids will enjoy. Disney gets the rap (deservedly) for being a kids park but there is a dearth of things to do for kids at this park.

Lynn Stephens

......to the left of the Chinese Theater they build The El Capitan with Star Wars on the marquee. You go in like your entering the theater. There is a grand lobby complete with crystal chandeliers, 2 concession stands that have flavored popcorn. And 3 entrances to the "theater". Go through one of the entrances, left, right, BOOM!
Real talk...I love this idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom