DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

DisDan

New movie is coming, I doubt there will be too many details. We've been teased more than Christina Hendricks dressed like Jessica Rabbit.

(Hey, that sounds like an Anne Lebowitz project. SOmeone in marketing get on that!)

I understand the point about the new movies and not wanting to spoil any of that story. But if they've prepared to announce Star Wars additions for DLR then I can only assume that they could do the same for WDW.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I understand the point about the new movies and not wanting to spoil any of that story. But if they've prepared to announce Star Wars additions for DLR then I can only assume that they could do the same for WDW.

Or at least tell us "Hey, we'll tell you after the movie comes out! Our Christmas Present to you!"

How hard is it for an intern to come up with that?

planodisney

Where is the news coming from that they are ready to announce something for DLR but not for WDW.
I don't see that they are close to being ready to announce Star Wars for DL. It seems like there is more up in the air and still to be determined for DL's SWL than for Hollywood Studios. I wouldn't look for much to be divulged about either. With all the closings and leaks about Hollywood Studios, at least there are signs that something is close to coming to fruition. At DLR, I'm sure these additions are coming, but there are zero signs that anything is close to beginning. I don't think they will announce anything at D23 that won't begin for a year and a half.
IMHO

planodisney

PhotoDave, are you hearing that an announcement is likely for DLR but maybe not for WDW, or is this just something steamrolling off of that Miceage article? Thanks!!!

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
PhotoDave, are you hearing that an announcement is likely for DLR but maybe not for WDW, or is this just something steamrolling off of that Miceage article? Thanks!!!

Ive heard everything.

No seriously. I've heard yes. Ive heard no. Ive heard maybe. Ive heard WDW only. I've heard DL only. I've heard both.

What I believe is that they will say "One last thing: Star Wars is coming.... and Stay Tuned."

TalkingHead

Not that Disney execs are rational, but...

It seems like announcing the details of Star Wars expansions before the release of the new movie would be counterintuitive.

After the release of the new movie when excitement about the franchise's renaissance is at a fever pitch, then announce the new E-ticket, the new land(s), etc.

I could easily see another tease along the lines of "you're gonna flip when you see what we're cooking up."

After the last six years, my expectations for a big announcement on Saturday are nil. I think the emphasis for WDW will be on Avatar and, to a lesser extent, Frozen. Maybe the Pixar flat rides get announced. Woo!

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Not that Disney execs are rationale, but...

It seems like announcing the details of Star Wars expansions before the release of the new movie would be counterintuitive.

After the release of the new movie when excitement about the franchise's renaissance is at a fever pitch, then announce the new E-ticket, the new land(s), etc.

I could easily see another tease along the lines of "you're gonna flip when you see what we're cooking up."

After the last six years, my expectations for a big announcement on Saturday are nil. I think the emphasis for WDW will be on Avatar and, to a lesser extent, Frozen. Maybe the Pixar flat rides get announced. Woo!

Thats what I believe will happen. D23 doesn't care about Orlando to begin with.

doctornick

Not that Disney execs are rational, but...

I think a perfectly rationale plan would be to say that Star Wars offerings are coming to DLR and WDW but that specific details won't be released at this time because it could spoil the film but that details will be revealed after the film is released. Maybe they'd also mention a timeframe for the land to be built. I think the media and fans would totally be okay with that.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe Disney is going to build off of what Uni did with potter. Build one emersive experience in DL, say the Death Star, and another emersive experience in WDW, say Endor, and you take a ride on the Malinium Falcon between the two, but you have to have tickets for both parks to do it.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I think a perfectly rationale plan would be to say that Star Wars offerings are coming to DLR and WDW but that specific details won't be released at this time because it could spoil the film but that details will be revealed after the film is released. Maybe they'd also mention a timeframe for the land to be built. I think the media and fans would totally be okay with that.

I agree.

Bairstow

I think we are starting to get into a grey area of what is and isn't infrastructure. Every project at WDW requires some level of new infrastructure, whether it be the new retention ponds built for the Fantasyland expansion, or the new energy plant being built for AK. But when the cost of these projects get tossed around, we never hear the infrastructure cost broken out. So if part of the theoretical $1.5 billion is going to infrastructure directly related to attractions, then we need to add the amount to what is being spent on the attraction if we want to compare it to other attraction costs. On the other hand we may be talking about infrastructure not directly related to attractions which would be things like parking garages, entrance road reconfiguration, etc.

Has someone brought up the fact that a lot of property-wide services and offices have their facilities located behind the Studios along Theatre of the Stars Drive? I know that wardrobe for all the parades and shows is back there, along with quite a few administrative offices that can't be fit into TDO. If Disney intends to expand the park into areas behind the current western boundary, all of these buildings would first need to be relocated and new, probably larger facilities built and outfitted. So, when we see an astronomical figure built in for "infrastructure" it might be talking about projects like that.

BrianLo

I agree my guess for WDW announcements are the following:

1. Update Frozen Ride
2. MK New restaurant. = Adventureland,
3. Avatar
4. Pixar Place Additions
5. Disney Hollywood Studios new name and a brief mention of what all will be done

Everyone forgets Soarin' over the World. Still technically unannounced - coming to both WDW and DLR, plus a natural segue from Shanghai to boot.

There is an unfortunate amount of 'things' to fill 90 minutes without giving us much meaty announcements.

SirLink

Everyone forgets Soarin' over the World. Still technically unannounced - coming to both WDW and DLR, plus a natural segue from Shanghai to boot.

There is an unfortunate amount of 'things' to fill 90 minutes without giving us much meaty announcements.

Which won't be announced for America until it has debuted and has been in Shanghai for a set defined period of time.

SirLink

They also need to announce with it, how many attractions & if they are just spinners for WDW and E-tickets for DL, Disney needs to set expectations, for quality and scope.

El Grupo

Just a couple of thoughts regarding Star Wars in the parks...

• If I recall correctly, Miceage had previously shared that, according to their sources, work on Marvel/Star Wars attractions would not take place there until after the 60th anniversary celebration concluded. If they are correct, that would suggest no major in-park construction in Anaheim until late 2016. With this in mind, I'd also be surprised if there are many specifics at D23 about future DLR expansion.
  • Scott Trowbridge is heading up the project studio dedicated to the Star Wars franchise. He is also the portfolio lead at DLR. If Disney moves forward with SW in Orlando and Anaheim, I'm curious if Scott will directly oversee the addition of the related land at DL and DHS or assign Imagineer lieutenants for each park to manage execution? I would expect the former. However, that would probably mean one of the parks is not seeing related construction for 2 or 3 years (or, if DHS goes second and the DL starts after the 60th, probably 4 years).

UpAllNight

Why has all Pixar ride talk been so uninspiring?

I understand the need for TSPL and don't have a problem with that, but what else? They hold some of the best and most relevant IP in the world, and there's very little I've heard even suggested that exploits this.

The Incredibles? Monsters inc? Up?

If a half baked RSR knock off and a TSPL is all they can manage then we have problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom