DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

CaptainAmerica

It makes a lot of sense considering that infrastructure was cut from the very beginning, compared to the two parks built before it, which included such luxuries we take for granted today like monorail lines and cast member tunnels.
Is that your official position? They need $1.5 billion so they can stilt the entire park and build tunnels underneath while they bring the monorail line down from Epcot? Yeah, I could see $1.5 billion if that was the plan, but that ain't the plan.

doctornick

I never said anything about $1.5B on parking garages. Others did. I was responding that such a figure is ridiculous, and it sounds like you agree.

Regardless, I can't fathom $1.5B in infrastructure either. It just doesn't make any sense. There's not enough paving, canals, and backstage buildings at DHS to possibly spend that much. Construction isn't anywhere near that expensive when it doesn't have to be "on stage."

And it's not like infrastructure doesn't exist in these areas. Even if they are tearing down buildings and repurposing land, they aren't starting from scratch in terms of utilities and such. It's not like they'd be taking current swampland and building on it.

Progress.City

Is that your official position? They need $1.5 billion so they can stilt the entire park and build tunnels underneath while they bring the monorail line down from Epcot? Yeah, I could see $1.5 billion if that was the plan, but that ain't the plan.
Take any city in the world. How much was spent on roads, expressways, transit, utilities, garbage management, sewage and water processing and distribution, and so on and compare that to the total dollars spent on building on the homes and commercial spaces and that is the number that should be spent (ratio wise). I only used two expamples of infrastructure expenses that were cut. There are many others, such as the havoc pneumatic garbage system and the teraforming that was done in Phase I of WDW. Sure you don't need to spend money in infrastructure, if you think dirt roads and porto potties at a Disney theme park is acceptable.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Take any city in the world. How much was spent on roads, expressways, transit, utilities, garbage management, sewage and water processing and distribution, and so on and compare that to the total dollars spent on building on the homes and commercial spaces and that is the number that should be spent (ratio wise). I only used two expamples of infrastructure expenses that were cut. There are many others, such as the havoc pneumatic garbage system and the teraforming that was done in Phase I of WDW. Sure you don't need to spend money in infrastructure, if you think dirt roads and porto potties at a Disney theme park is acceptable.

I think we are starting to get into a grey area of what is and isn't infrastructure. Every project at WDW requires some level of new infrastructure, whether it be the new retention ponds built for the Fantasyland expansion, or the new energy plant being built for AK. But when the cost of these projects get tossed around, we never hear the infrastructure cost broken out. So if part of the theoretical $1.5 billion is going to infrastructure directly related to attractions, then we need to add the amount to what is being spent on the attraction if we want to compare it to other attraction costs. On the other hand we may be talking about infrastructure not directly related to attractions which would be things like parking garages, entrance road reconfiguration, etc.

George

Liker of Things

I too enjoy infrastructure. For example, I have enjoyed most of the post-apocalyptic "Mad Max" themed restrooms that litter our highways.

ToTBellHop

I too enjoy infrastructure. For example, I have enjoyed most of the post-apocalyptic "Mad Max" themed restrooms that litter our highways.
You know we need some actual details on this project when conversation devolved into a debate of what "infrastructure" means. By tomorrow, it'll be, "well, that depends on what your definition of the word 'is', is."

Progress.City

There's an old saying that what ever is not spent on necessary capital for infrastructure projects, you can calculate that at least twice that will be spent later on in the not so distant future to make up for it. That is what we are experiencing here.

Progress.City

You know we need some actual details on this project when conversation devolved into a debate of what "infrastructure" means. By tomorrow, it'll be, "well, that depends on what your definition of the word 'is', is."
Or another monorail debate but I digress as my brains experienced temperatures as high as 113F outside the bus on the way to Eilat last week. Yay infrastructure!!!!

ULPO46

I think I'm just going to wait until this weekend before anything official is spoken. Until then lets try to not assume some ridiculous ideas. In terms of infrastructure. Look at this summer and the traffic to get into the parks is terrible. All that means is probably just expansion of the road system which isn't covered by Disney, although they may be on their property, the money for roads comes from state and local tax funds. As for canals being moved, I can not fathom how difficult of an engineering feat it would be to re-route a canal system. It can be done, just is one expensive and unnecessary feat. The only problem with this meeting is if anything is said, there is only an hour for it to be said. I don't know how many dreams will come true or be crushed in an hour in terms of WDW expansion plans. All I can say don't be surprised or shocked we all know that AVATAR is #1 priority for the WDWR's current construction. Sure star wars will be a huge draw if it even gets mentioned. But if Pandora works, it will make Wizarding World look like Antarctica at Sea World. So until then, lets not be surprised if it gets mentioned in 2011 and 4 years is still being built ala Avatar. What I mean is if announced it's not like construction is scheduled to start Monday. The plans are in the work, but now is the time to Test the expansion of the animal kingdom. If it fails to draw the expected crowds, don't expect a death star anytime soon at DHS. These things take time. Even Coca Cola and Pepsi had to test things before making something new or going back to the original idea that made them into the global giants of soft drinks they are today.

gmajew

I think I'm just going to wait until this weekend before anything official is spoken. Until then lets try to not assume some ridiculous ideas. In terms of infrastructure. Look at this summer and the traffic to get into the parks is terrible. All that means is probably just expansion of the road system which isn't covered by Disney, although they may be on their property, the money for roads comes from state and local tax funds. As for canals being moved, I can not fathom how difficult of an engineering feat it would be to re-route a canal system. It can be done, just is one expensive and unnecessary feat. The only problem with this meeting is if anything is said, there is only an hour for it to be said. I don't know how many dreams will come true or be crushed in an hour in terms of WDW expansion plans. All I can say don't be surprised or shocked we all know that AVATAR is #1 priority for the WDWR's current construction. Sure star wars will be a huge draw if it even gets mentioned. But if Pandora works, it will make Wizarding World look like Antarctica at Sea World. So until then, lets not be surprised if it gets mentioned in 2011 and 4 years is still being built ala Avatar. What I mean is if announced it's not like construction is scheduled to start Monday. The plans are in the work, but now is the time to Test the expansion of the animal kingdom. If it fails to draw the expected crowds, don't expect a death star anytime soon at DHS. These things take time. Even Coca Cola and Pepsi had to test things before making something new or going back to the original idea that made them into the global giants of soft drinks they are today.

I agree my guess for WDW announcements are the following:

1. Update Frozen Ride
2. MK New restaurant. = Adventureland,
3. Avatar
4. Pixar Place Additions
5. Disney Hollywood Studios new name and a brief mention of what all will be done

ULPO46

1. Update Frozen Ride
3. Avatar
4. Pixar Place Additions
5. Disney Hollywood Studios new name and a brief mention of what all will be done
I'm praying that the new name is original and suits the park. But you are basically right on point.

DisDan

1. Update Frozen Ride
3. Avatar
4. Pixar Place Additions

Thats the most I'm expecting.

Setting low expectations is always a good thing with Disney news. Sad as that is, I still hope there is more than that because if they go and announce amazing Star Wars plans for DLR and do NOT announce anything Star Wars related for WDW then there will be a lot of sad wdw fans, myself included. Even if they don't go into as much detail as DLR, they should at least talk about what will be coming to WDW.

Lynn Stephens

1. Update Frozen Ride
3. Avatar
4. Pixar Place Additions
Thanks to this forum, I have tempered my expectations and this is also what I now expect.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Setting low expectations is always a good thing with Disney news. Sad as that is, I still hope there is more than that because if they go and announce amazing Star Wars plans for DLR and do NOT announce anything Star Wars related for WDW then there will be a lot of sad wdw fans, myself included. Even if they don't go into as much detail as DLR, they should at least talk about what will be coming to WDW.

New movie is coming, I doubt there will be too many details. We've been teased more than Christina Hendricks dressed like Jessica Rabbit.

(Hey, that sounds like an Anne Lebowitz project. SOmeone in marketing get on that!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom