DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

jt04

They have to say something. All they have been doing is CLOSING attractions in the park the past year or so and they haven't even opened any new ride in 7 years. The GP (who most D23 people interact with via blogs or twitter) wants to know what is going on and they deserve an answer. WHY is half of the park shattered? Of course we know, but to the GP, the park just looks unappealing and pretty much a mess.

Until the construction walls go up and hopefully a blue sky cellar opens. The perfect theme park.

NowInc

To sort of re-affirm what has already been said here. Expect a lot of Avatar stuff but few things regarding DHS to be shared at D23. That doesn't mean NOTHING about DHS (they kind of HAVE to say something in order to justify whats already closed and whats slated to go away very...very..soon), but full details are not on the agenda. From what I've been told (grain of salt it if you wish), they don't want a repeat of Avatar regarding a pre-mature..too early announcement. There will be at least one more D23 before better details come out about our frail hollywood studios. California people will be a bit more pleased.

SpaceMountain77

To sort of re-affirm what has already been said here. Expect a lot of Avatar stuff but few things regarding DHS to be shared at D23. That doesn't mean NOTHING about DHS (they kind of HAVE to say something in order to justify whats already closed and whats slated to go away very...very..soon), but full details are not on the agenda. From what I've been told (grain of salt it if you wish), they don't want a repeat of Avatar regarding a pre-mature..too early announcement. There will be at least one more D23 before better details come out about our frail hollywood studios. California people will be a bit more pleased.

This agenda is similar to what I have read on other boards. The session will focus more on Avatar and the expansion of the Disneyland Resort.

Supposedly, if any Hollywood Studios announcement is made, it will likely be the name change and Pixar Place.

WildcatDen

We have a saying over here. It involves a party in a beer making factory.
Not sure about the party, but if you find a mouse in your beer, be sure to be on point. . .

Yeah. OK, well, uh, we found, uh, this mouse in a bottle of YOUR BEER, eh. Like, we was at a party and, uh, a friend of ours - a COP - had some, and HE PUKED. And he said, uh, come here and get free beer or, uh, he'll press charges.

doctornick

I know that I am in the 1% of the world's population who hasn't seen GotG, but is it really a significant enough IP to warrant a major ride?

Well, we are talking about the possibility of 1 ride. Is Song of the South significant enough to warrant a significant ride? Ratatoulle? Finding Nemo (which has multiple rides and attractions)?

GotG had a successful movie and has a sequel on the way. That's basically the same point that Cars was at when they greenlit an entire land based on that IP. And Disney/Marvel seem to be eager to hype the property as much as possible -- in addition to the sequel, they also have an Infinity Playset and have an upcoming cartoon series. And it's the only Marvel property of note that can be used in WDW that we know of.

I'm not saying that they should or will add a GotG ride to DHS, just that it's not unreasonable for it to be considered.

Kamikaze

Well, we are talking about the possibility of 1 ride. Is Song of the South significant enough to warrant a significant ride? Ratatoulle? Finding Nemo (which has multiple rides and attractions)?

GotG had a successful movie and has a sequel on the way. That's basically the same point that Cars was at when they greenlit an entire land based on that IP. And Disney/Marvel seem to be eager to hype the property as much as possible -- in addition to the sequel, they also have an Infinity Playset and have an upcoming cartoon series. And it's the only Marvel property of note that can be used in WDW that we know of.

I'm not saying that they should or will add a GotG ride to DHS, just that it's not unreasonable for it to be considered.

Actually, GotG made about double as much at the box office as Cars. I'm sure Cars merch more than made up the difference, though.

CaptainAmerica

I don't know why everyone sees 'infrastructure' and immediately goes 'parking garages'. You know what else is infrastructure? The utilidors. Backstage buildings. Drainage canals (which, coincidentally, we know they have to move). Access roads. And tons of other things that add up really quickly when you have to build them around what is already existing. Yes, part of that is probably going to be a parking garage. But most of the cost will be other things.
I never said anything about $1.5B on parking garages. Others did. I was responding that such a figure is ridiculous, and it sounds like you agree.

Regardless, I can't fathom $1.5B in infrastructure either. It just doesn't make any sense. There's not enough paving, canals, and backstage buildings at DHS to possibly spend that much. Construction isn't anywhere near that expensive when it doesn't have to be "on stage."

George

Liker of Things
I never said anything about $1.5B on parking garages. Others did. I was responding that such a figure is ridiculous, and it sounds like you agree.

Regardless, I can't fathom $1.5B in infrastructure either. It just doesn't make any sense. There's not enough paving, canals, and backstage buildings at DHS to possibly spend that much. Construction isn't anywhere near that expensive when it doesn't have to be "on stage."

All I know is that the dude they hired to seal the parking lots is VERY happy.

Progress.City

It makes a lot of sense considering that infrastructure was cut from the very beginning, compared to the two parks built before it, which included such luxuries we take for granted today like monorail lines and cast member tunnels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom