DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

El Grupo

As far as a time frame for DHS is concerned, I suspect we will see the DCA strategy repeated in Orlando...refurbs completed and additions opened over a five-year period with a grand park relaunch and major land introduction at the end (prior to the kick-off of the WDW 50th Anniversary celebration).

Slowjack

Good advice. It seems like I'm one of the few people really excited about Avatar. Not because I like the movie, but the execution by WDI of that world looks absolutely breathtaking to me in all of the concept art. I'm more excited about the boat attraction than the e-ticket.
I'm the same camp. Haven't seen the movie, can't say I ever plan to, but I'm hopeful the expansion can deliver. And I, too, am more excited about the boat ride, mainly because, if the E-Ticket is as Soaring-esque as it sounds, I will probably be unable to ride it without heavy sedation.

Brian Swan

Oh yeah I heard about that like you're going to the premiere of the sequel and all hell breaks loose lol. I was thinking a GotG ride could go in the area of the recently closed art building (I can't remember the name of it). Adding Star Wars Land, more pixar, and a GotG ride would be pretty cool additions. Just a thought.
I know that I am in the 1% of the world's population who hasn't seen GotG, but is it really a significant enough IP to warrant a major ride?

El Grupo

I know that I am in the 1% of the world's population who hasn't seen GotG, but is it really a significant enough IP to warrant a major ride?

IMO, yes. I believe the over-the-top characters, humor, music, action and setting would lend themselves well to a ride that included a combination of screens and AAs.

RSoxNo1

Actually, I was thinking that if they ever needed to slot a new band in there, FF would be the best choice. Of the younger (relatively speaking) bands that are close to Aerosmith's level, FF are probably have the best selection of songs that could be used in WDW.
I have also thought this, but in guessing if they were to re theme it, they'd drop the music studio theme entirely.

RSoxNo1

I think you might be misremembering. Maybe you caught the IJSS before it opened to the public.
D-MGM opened May 1, 1989.
IJSS opened in August 1989.

Show me one example of someone posting a major 'leak' of an event from the Anaheim Convention Center. BlizzCon, D23, Star Wars Celebration. No leaks. BlizzCon is the big one with signage that goes up and gets hidden each year, and they've never had a leak from within the convention center.
The d23 expo Animation presentation run sheet was posted online months ago...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I read the rolling list of DHS makeovers but is there an estimated timeframe for each of these to be completed? We have officially moved our next visit back from September 2016 to September 2017 in order to experience Avatar Land but it would be great to see most of these DHS makeovers completed as well. Thanks for creating this thread!
Don't get excited. The good stuff has a rough frame of 2020-21

TP2000

Don't get excited. The good stuff has a rough frame of 2020-21

Which brings to mind the DCA Extreme Makeover timeline.

Announced October 17th, 2007
First phase of construction (Little Mermaid) began mid 2008
Second phase of construction (Cars Land/Pier makeover) began mid 2009
Third phase of construction (Buena Vista Street) began mid 2010
First all new ride (Little Mermaid) opened May, 2011
Project completed with Cars Land/Buena Vista Street opening June 15th, 2012

Total time from announcement to completion, 4 years and 8 months.

Which makes me a little nervous for this weekend, because if the big stuff isn't going to be done for almost six more years it might not be time to make a big announcement at D23 Expo yet. I think we're all hoping they say something about DHS this weekend, but they might not be ready to say anything, at least about the "good stuff" coming in 2020-21.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Which brings to mind the DCA Extreme Makeover timeline.

Announced October, 2007
First phase of construction (Little Mermaid) began mid 2008
Second phase of construction (Cars Land/Pier makeover) began mid 2009
Third phase of construction (Buena Vista Street) began mid 2010
First all new ride (Little Mermaid) opened May, 2011
Project completed with Cars Land/Buena Vista Street opening June, 2012

Total time from announcement to completion, 4 years and 8 months.

Which makes me a little nervous for this weekend, because if the big stuff isn't going to be done for almost six more years it might not be time to make a big announcement at D23 Expo yet. I think we're all hoping they say something about DHS this weekend, but they might not be ready to say anything, at least about the "good stuff" coming in 2020-21.
They have to say something. All they have been doing is CLOSING attractions in the park the past year or so and they haven't even opened any new ride in 7 years. The GP (who most D23 people interact with via blogs or twitter) wants to know what is going on and they deserve an answer. WHY is half of the park shattered? Of course we know, but to the GP, the park just looks unappealing and pretty much a mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom