DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Goofyernmost

The only rumors I have heard about the footprint expanding are it pushing out in to the parking lot and a garage being added to compensate. So expansion to the south is just armchair imagineering at this point. I don't have a problem with discussing this idea, but lets not paint it as fact.
There were rumors to that affect probably 3 years ago when they talked about putting in a different entrance to DHS from the other side of the park. Nothing has been mentioned about it since then, but, if I were in charge that is exactly what I would do. The entrance currently runs along side what was the backlot tour. Taking over that 5 or 6 lane road (don't actually remember how many lanes), possibly moving that wetland that runs along side it would substantially increase the parks footprint.

Also, when people talk about all the behind the scenes areas of the park and how they could be used, don't forget that they still need a backstage area no matter what is there. Where would that go? I think it is feasible, but, whether or not they do it, is part of the unknown in this whole project. Moving the entrance would not cost in the billions of dollars, they already have a back entrance all they need is to enlarge it. Just my opinion, but, I do think it would be possible. Time will tell. That would cover streets and canals BTW!

UpAllNight

Must be the jet lag creating confusion. Probably meant Universal Studios.

Lol nope we had a good discussion about it, they went to Universal and Islands several times.

I'm praying for D23 announcements desperately, because I'm slowly losing hope in WDW and it's not just me and my party who didn't have the kind of visit we were anticipating.

Luckily we went on Star Wars weekend and the fireworks along with Fantasmic and TOT in the dark made our Studios day a good one in the end...but most of shows were so stale even to some first time viewers, and we did spend a portion of time mulling over how we'd fill the afternoon waiting for Fantasmic.

It's just a big embarrassment really isn't it, the amount of money they make.

El Grupo

IF

All that may happen is the entrance plaza road shifts slightly further south to run due east then north to the lots.

Another possibility was mentioned but I won't go into it unless it becomes more likely.

It has been posted a few times over the years that the Television lot was an expansion pad. If true, would you consider it part of the park footprint due to the supposed long-term intent for that area?

planodisney

I didn't mean to act like a spoil sport for everybody with my no way 2.8 billion for 1 park opinion. More trying to temper expectations. I stand by my opinion, whether I've been here a week or not, that when I look at financials,cost of infrastructure and what themepark lands and attractions cost for Disney, 2.8 billion isn't a realistic expectation for 1 park. As I stated, they could build something along the lines of TDS with that money.
I absolutely leave the possibility open to be proven wrong and will be shocked and beyond excited if that actually happens.
One thing is for sure, with the infrastructure already in place in the park, if they are actually planning 2.8 billion in park enhancement, there is no reason whatsoever that this shouldn't be the greatest themepark on the face of the earth, surpassing even TDS or any Magic Kingdom park. Your will be looking at what would be, with what exists currently coupled with the 2.8 billion in enhancements, 4.5-5 billion dollar theme park. Far and away the costliest,themepark ever built. Can't wait to find out what happens.
No more negativity from me. I promise!!! :)

Mawg

I didn't mean to act like a spoil sport for everybody with my no way 2.8 billion for 1 park opinion. More trying to temper expectations. I stand by my opinion, whether I've been here a week or not, that when I look at financials,cost of infrastructure and what themepark lands and attractions cost for Disney, 2.8 billion isn't a realistic expectation for 1 park. As I stated, they could build something along the lines of TDS with that money.
I absolutely leave the possibility open to be proven wrong and will be shocked and beyond excited if that actually happens.
One thing is for sure, with the infrastructure already in place in the park, if they are actually planning 2.8 billion in park enhancement, there is no reason whatsoever that this shouldn't be the greatest themepark on the face of the earth, surpassing even TDS or any Magic Kingdom park. Your will be looking at what would be, with what exists currently coupled with the 2.8 billion in enhancements, 4.5-5 billion dollar theme park. Far and away the costliest,themepark ever built. Can't wait to find out what happens.
I agree with you, hard to believe. Exciting, but still hard to believe. Let's see what's announced this weekend.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

I stand by my sources

I read the rolling list of DHS makeovers but is there an estimated timeframe for each of these to be completed? We have officially moved our next visit back from September 2016 to September 2017 in order to experience Avatar Land but it would be great to see most of these DHS makeovers completed as well. Thanks for creating this thread!

ToTBellHop

DCA effectively got one new land with assorted upgrades elsewhere for over $1bn (WoC and Midway Mania were approved before the DCA rebuild and so are not figured into its budget). DHS is getting two lands plus other assorted upgrades. It is not unreasonable for two major new lands plus other upgrades to cost $2bn with the balance being infrastructure, though it does assume we get better attractions than NFL had.

Goofyernmost

I read the rolling list of DHS makeovers but is there an estimated timeframe for each of these to be completed? We have officially moved our next visit back from September 2016 to September 2017 in order to experience Avatar Land but it would be great to see most of these DHS makeovers completed as well. Thanks for creating this thread!
That entire list of rolling makeovers, with the exception of money being approved, is total and complete speculation. So there is no time frame for something that for all we know, doesn't even exist. Something big will be done, what exactly is still a mystery. Perhaps when they announce what is going to happen they will set a target completion, but, I doubt it.

Perhaps, they will put a new Turkey Leg kiosk in and just use the rest of the money to celebrate the accomplishment.

That entire list of rolling makeovers, with the exception of money being approved, is total and complete speculation. So there is no time frame for something that for all we know, doesn't even exist. Something big will be done, what exactly is still a mystery. Perhaps when they announce what is going to happen they will set a target completion, but, I doubt it.

Perhaps, they will put a new Turkey Leg kiosk in and just use the rest of the money to celebrate the accomplishment.

Speculation? If most of this doesn't happen in the near future, DHS is toast (if it isn't already). Thanks.

Goofyernmost

Speculation? If most of this doesn't happen in the near future, DHS is toast (if it isn't already). Thanks.
I didn't say nothing was going to happen, I said that whatever has been stated at the moment is speculation. Might be or might not be. I think that you are underestimating the draw of Disney. Toast is a long way off. Most popular... probably not. Gone... don't see it happening.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

You made a very good decision. Save the money.... Wait for Avatar.

planodisney

DCA did not get just 1 new land and assorted makeovers.
They got the most expensive ride ever built, inside the most expensive land ever built.
They also got a new entrance, entry shops and restaurants and completely new hub and Carthay Circle.
A huge structure was torn down and replaced with a new building and Little Mermaid ride.
Also, a completely new boardwalk eating area with 2 new restaurants.
And, the Paradise Pier makeover was very extensive with rides being torn out, as well as some having extensive retheming as well as buildings being rethemed.
To me 2billion or a touch over could make sense and still would be unprecedented in themepark history, but I'm just going to sit back and hope to be blown away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom