DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

rnese

Today is like...four days...

Just in an attempt to put some figures in perspective...
I toured an NFL stadium yesterday. The tour guide said it cost $500 million in today's $$$ to build and took 2 1/2 years. That's a lot of plumbing, electric, and foundation to support 65,000 people.

So, what is the figure we're thinking for JUST DHS?

Goofyernmost

Understandably, most people do not comprehend the amount of work involved with pre-construction. All we ever see is the part where it goes vertical. The manipulation of the earth to support the structure, it's access, it's electrical, it's plumbing and it's foundation (not to be confused with buried Monorail footings) is probably twice the amount of time as actually building the external facility. When one figures in the unstable ground in that brightly lite fun area that is WDW, then you can almost double that. Unless of course, we have this thing about how much fun it will be to sink into the water table while we are touring, this is something that must be done correctly. Failure is not an option.

I'm not nearly as concerned about how long it takes to actually build something, even though some think it is unreasonable. What is frustrating is how long it takes to even get started. The only reason for that is to spread out the construction so that they can open things on a regular over time basis or maybe qualified construction firms with experience in these types of construction, which I would think has to be a specialized field, may be limited so that they have to finish one before they can start another, or at least be done with one stage of it before progressing to the next.

Once the decision is made to actually invest, there is a logical reason for it to take a long time to get started. If what they have shown the BOD is a concept drawing, which would make sense, then they must now do the engineering, planning, structure design and numerous details that none of us can even imagine that must be decided and calculated to work. You cannot just go online and order specific parts for a Pixar or a Star Wars attraction. They have to be designed and built. There is no sense in building anything until they have everything that they need to complete it. Done and tested. Otherwise they could end up with a building where nothing works or fits. We have to all take a moment to look at the big picture not just what we see when it is done, but the colossal process of taking it from concept to reality. They didn't go to the BOD with blueprints of all the specifics that are involved with that attraction, just the idea and a promise that they can make it work. This is the period of time when the real work is being done, not on site but on paper.

Why is Disney not in a hurry? Well, the simple answer is that they don't have to be, they still are number one in the world of theme parks and unless places like Universal or others all of a sudden come up with 27000 acres of land, they can never be the level of WDW. As much as we all like to believe that the executives at Disney are a huge pile of morons, there are many very smart people that work there. I know, hard to believe sometimes, but, they know that strictly as a business investment, the amount of return that those places generate from their investments has to keep pace. They also have to have a location that will let them be the, excuse the expression, big cheese. They know that over the last 5 or so years, Comcast has spent mega bucks expanding the experience at Universal. They also know that at a point they have to stop and catch up to get the investment and the return to at least match up. In other words, they cannot go on spending at that rate without a substantial increase in business and I mean substantial.

When that slows down which will probably be within the next couple of years, that is when Disney will be opening, redesigning and investing in a resort that is already bigger then the competition. Don't kid yourself, they know what they are doing. We, as a small group of critics may not like what we see and speed in which we see it, but, you can bet that they have a handle on what is going on and that is supported by the way that the stock market has held up. Investors know that they are doing it the right way. (I'd like to add to that, that they did take way to long to start to react, but, all will be fine).

SYRIK2000

There is no other way to expand the park. If the footprint is expanding, it has to be that way and/or into the parking lot. With a $1.5bn infrastructure number, they are doing both.

There are no rumors of the footprint expanding and you came up with the $1.5bn infrastructure number. The rumor for infrastructure has been around $700M. So we are all set no need to move canals.

Kamikaze

There are no rumors of the footprint expanding and you came up with the $1.5bn infrastructure number. The rumor for infrastructure has been around $700M. So we are all set no need to move canals.

I came up with it? When did I become Jim Hill?

If they are going spend this giant pile of money, you can bet they are moving S Studio Drive, which has been rumored for years, far longer than anything else being discussed. It was always thought to be a no-no because the cost would be too high to move it due to the ground conditions - but when you have a huge budget for infrastructure ...

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201503/4484/

OilyMamma

Thanks for combining everything in one easy-to-use location

And although it certainly doesn't mean anything about Muppets' potential future, Mama Melrose stops showing availability on October 26, including through the peak holiday period and Osbourne Lights. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so it could be a clue of things to come
I was just able to pull up several times for mama melrose in December.

SYRIK2000

I came up with it? When did I become Jim Hill?

If they are going spend this giant pile of money, you can bet they are moving S Studio Drive, which has been rumored for years, far longer than anything else being discussed. It was always thought to be a no-no because the cost would be too high to move it due to the ground conditions - but when you have a huge budget for infrastructure ...

I think you forget there is no list of what they are building. I'm getting that troll feeling from you.

Unless you are implying you know the list of attractions being added. Do tell.

Kamikaze

I think you forget there is no list of what they are building. I'm getting that troll feeling from you.

Unless you are implying you know the list of attractions being added. Do tell.

Oh yes, I've spent over 10 years (closer to 15) on this website with his name and my previous ... blue ... self and I've been waiting for this thread to happen so I can troll about moving a damn entrance road. You got me.

I just know that they should be adding a good amount of attractions. They have to, really. Otherwise the park is an absolute joke.

Also maybe you missed this:

I had more confirmation of the 2.8 figure.

The percentage of that for infrastructure wasn't known. So this 1.5b parking garage could be a lot about nothing.

Not that there won't be substantial civil engineering outside of the gates.

SYRIK2000

Oh yes, I've spent over 10 years (closer to 15) on this website with his name and my previous ... blue ... self and I've been waiting for this thread to happen so I can troll about moving a damn entrance road. You got me.

I just know that they should be adding a good amount of attractions. They have to, really. Otherwise the park is an absolute joke.

So no attraction list? So we can leave streets and canals where they are for now? Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom