DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

doctornick

I was mostly talking about a 'blow-out' of information. Shanghai just had its blow-out of specific information. Pandora seems to be about to do the same with models at D23. We are still at the blurry, non-specific concept art stage in terms of years out for DHS.

Apparently DCA was announced 4.5 years out, we are currently a little under 6 if the 2021 target date of Star Wars is still true. I hope that is no longer the case, but when it comes to Disney no one is (understandably) willing to fess up specific dates...

I tend to agree. I think they will actually announce something regarding DHS, but it's likely to be non-specific like "Star Wars and Pixar stuff coming blah blah". The only specifics might be about a Toy Story Playland if that is actually coming in the next 1-2 years (which I think it will). They probably might mention the impending name change (with or without revealing the new name) and the preview center coming to the Animation Building.

Edit: I think they will also provide some more detail about Frozen Ever After at D23.

ProjectXBlog

i just hope the earffel tower isn't touched. i miss the days when that was the park icon (although it's still used in some merchandising, yeah? other than ToT being the icon?)

Kamikaze

Is it Saturday yet? Please lets just fast forward so the debating can stop and we can deal with the aftermath.... If nothing is announced I am taking a break from this board because all the nuts will be out.

Its a shame they passed that law that requires you to post in the meantime.

the.dreamfinder

Star Wars land, for Anaheim (and likely DHS), will be predominately indoors and feature a unique trackless E-Ticket.
Via MiceAge update
Star Wars: A Bold New Land
But before we get to the new parking structure and its Harbor Blvd. sky bridge, we’ll fill you in on the latest headed to the parks themselves. Most obviously, that means Star Wars. The plans to add Star Wars to Disneyland have changed course and grown in scale rapidly since we first told you several years ago about the Tomorrowland proposal that would have wiped out Autopia. The plan for Star Wars Land has grown immensely in scale, and it’s now aimed squarely at the land north of Disneyland itself. Taking over the Festival Arena, the Circle D Ranch, Mickey’s Toontown and several rehearsal halls and office buildings just north of Toontown. The Circle D property, where all of the park’s horses, goats and other animals are kept will be moving off property to a new facility nearby, and the horses will then be trailered in for their 4 hour shifts pulling the Horse Drawn Streetcars on Main Street.

Picture1.jpg

The rehearsal halls and offices north of Toontown would be moved over to the larger 160,000 square foot office building Disney bought last year at 1515 S. Manchester Avenue, which now houses a dental supply company. That building on Manchester is slated to be phase two of the Pumbaa parking structure, expanding its capacity beyond 8,000+ spaces after the first phase of 5,000 spaces opens in 2018, but in the short term it will become the temporary home of Disneyland’s displaced backstage buildings. The smaller building at 1585 S. Manchester will be demolished for the parking structure construction.

The majority of Star Wars Land in the northernmost park acreage will be inside a massive series of show buildings, meaning the land won’t have to close for fireworks fallout. The rides and shows in the land itself are being developed in a top secret Imagineering lab in Glendale with Imagineers signing extra confidentiality agreements because the plotlines and characters are pulled from the next three episodes in the Star Wars saga and the Lucasfilm folks understandably guard that information with their lives. But what we can tell you is that Star Wars Land will include multiple attractions, anchored by a mega E Ticket using a trackless vehicle that will break the mold when it comes to how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At this point, I whole-heartedly believe that even a minimal announcement regarding DHS at D23 would be a HUGE PR nightmare for the company. With the state of the park widely discussed not just on the message boards but also in the mainstream media, how could they afford to ignore the elephant in the room? Regardless of whether or not they WANT to announce anything of substance this weekend, I feel like that really don't have a choice, at least from a business standpoint. They really need to get out in front of this story; it seems to already be getting away from them. Without announcing anything of substance, I think they're going to be doing real damage, and perhaps diminishing the overall effect when they finally do announce something of substance regardless of the grandeur sounding it.
This is not DHS related.

This is in California. Please put it in the appropriate thread(s).

Any information about what Star Wars content is coming to DL could give us hints as to what to expect at DHS.

BrianLo

My prediction of 'mini-lands in a box' may have arrived. Welcome to the future hopefully. Hope all other designers are taking note. Theme parks are evolving.

I sure hope they don't take note, I understand @Disneyhead'71's reservations.

It's only appropriate in moderation, tactfully and when necessitated. Otherwise you are just proposing theme parks in a mall... those already exist. They aren't great, and Disney's failed attempt at one is closing.

captainmoch

The showbuilding thing sounds interesting to me, mostly because it can
1) Bring Diagon-levels of immersion into an area.
2) Allow for potentially multiple Star Wars planets and locations to be used and tied together.

HauntedMansionFLA

It is astonishing that those crates appeared two years ago and we still are unlikely to get any SW details.
There was a video with a WDI employee at D23 in 2013. - all he would say was" Disney has enjoyed a 25 year partnership with LucasFilm" and wouldn't comment beyond that. Yes, there still isn't anything two years later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom