DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Half of it goes to infrastructure
- moving entrance/exit road
- possibly parking garage
- having to move the canal

So now you're at $1.4bn.
Now lets say its a 5 year project. That breaks it down to under $300m a year. If they stretch it further then it spreads even more. Really not unrealistic. Remember: NGE cost $1bn itself.

I can't see those three infrastructure projects costing $1.4 billion.

Bocabear

I would like to see a parade brought back. I think it makes sense to have both some daytime and evening large scale entertainment for each park.
Wasn't there talk that the Star Wars Land expansion would wipe out the Parade route and buildings? I thought I read that somewhere...

Mawg

I suggest you reread the first post.

Ok, I reread it. But, the key word is "know". What we know is really not much. We have rumors based on some reliable insiders of some large budget approval and how that may be divided between the parks. But this budget has never been discussed publically and probably never will be. The only thing Disney has announced is that there will be an increased Star Wars presence in the parks and a slip that DHS is getting a name change. Until Disney announces some expansion or until walls go up and construction starts, we really do not "know" anything (except that a lot of stuff is closing). Hopefully, real knowledge comes from D23, even if it is just a mention of expansion at DHS because I don't think Disney has ever even said this yet. I do like hearing what our insiders have to say, it's fun to speculate and hypothesize what's coming from this information.

El Grupo

Half of it goes to infrastructure
- moving entrance/exit road
- possibly parking garage
- having to move the canal

So now you're at $1.4bn.
Now lets say its a 5 year project. That breaks it down to under $300m a year. If they stretch it further then it spreads even more. Really not unrealistic. Remember: NGE cost $1bn itself.

Since we're speculating, I'd suggest that the infrastructure changes you listed will be under 25% of the $2.8 billion budget. Otherwise, the infrastructure changes at DLR will take up almost half of their $1.5 billon budget.

NormC

A budget reportedly well over 3 billion was approved by the BOD for plans that were presented to them at the meeting. Reportedly nearly 3 billion is just for DHS. This is great news. Patience Padawans.

Mawg

Since we're speculating, I'd suggest that the infrastructure changes you listed will be under 25% of the $2.8 billion budget. Otherwise, the infrastructure changes at DLR will take up almost half of their $1.5 billon budget.
That's not too unrealistic. $750 mil for a new land buys some pretty nice stuff. I suspect in both cases it's closer to a 3rd for infrastructure.

doctornick

Wasn't there talk that the Star Wars Land expansion would wipe out the Parade route and buildings? I thought I read that somewhere...

IIRC the current parade storage building is behind the Backlot Express, so it's quite possible/likely they will tear it down as part of the Star Wars build. Furthermore, the only pathway wide enough for a parade course goes through the Echo Lake area.

That said, if they are rebuilding the park substantially, they can certainly build a new parade storage building and can create a new appropriately sized pathway (perhaps though the Pixar area) for a new parade. One would hope that is the sort of thing being considered as the park is being totally overhauled.

vinnya1726

Just curious if in all of these rumors for DHS...any talk of bringing a parade permanently back to the park? That park seriously needs it and would really benefit from having one year round again not just the SWW motorcade or the Frozen processional thing...

Maybe they could do some sort of day time water parade out where Fantasmic is. I am not thinking anything that would be around forever, but a temporary water parade that could eat up some mid day crowds while the rest of the park is hopefully getting plused.

ChewbaccaYourMum

There was a proposal for a GotG ride in the GMR building. Luckily it was scrapped.
Oh yeah I heard about that like you're going to the premiere of the sequel and all hell breaks loose lol. I was thinking a GotG ride could go in the area of the recently closed art building (I can't remember the name of it). Adding Star Wars Land, more pixar, and a GotG ride would be pretty cool additions. Just a thought.

doctornick

There was a proposal for a GotG ride in the GMR building. Luckily it was scrapped.

But the slip up by James Gunn occurred fairly recently, seemingly well after the proposal for the GMR was shot down. There was a question as to whether he really meant WDW or whether he just messed up and it was for DL (i.e. part of the DCA Marvel expansion).

CaptainAmerica

I had more confirmation of the 2.8 figure.

The percentage of that for infrastructure wasn't known. So this 1.5b parking garage could be a lot about nothing.

Not that there won't be substantial civil engineering outside of the gates.
A $1.5 billion parking garage would be federal-government-levels of project mismanagement. You could build a parking garage that flies for that kind of money.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
But the slip up by James Gunn occurred fairly recently, seemingly well after the proposal for the GMR was shot down. There was a question as to whether he really meant WDW or whether he just messed up and it was for DL (i.e. part of the DCA Marvel expansion).

Make a note that we need to revisit this idea after the next GotG movie comes out, assuming it does well.

stretchsje

You could build a parking garage that flies for that kind of money.
But not east of the Mississippi or it'd violate the Marvel contract with Uni. :p
helicarrier_from_the_avengers_by_ghost1565-d4zaq2g.jpg

ChewbaccaYourMum

Yeah exactly. I was talking more of a new ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom