DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

misterID

Technically it was five. Not including Indy. Which didn't open until the August.
Yeah, I was being snarky. But I was a special guest before the park officially opened to the general public, same was with UNI, and INDY was open, but it could have been for us and they didn't open it for the GP until later.

misterID

The powers that be seem to subscribe to the Axl Rose mentality of "making them wait" so the crowds will love whatever is put out there. I don't feel thats a good way to get your audience hyped up, IMO.

(Feel free to photoshop Axl Rose and Tom Staggs, really)

They can ignore it as long as they want to. IMO. Its what they did in the past.
Axl Rose is way more fun than Staggs. He signed Buckethead in GNR inside the Haunted Mansion. For real.

dizneycrazy09

The powers that be seem to subscribe to the Axl Rose mentality of "making them wait" so the crowds will love whatever is put out there. I don't feel thats a good way to get your audience hyped up, IMO.

(Feel free to photoshop Axl Rose and Tom Staggs, really)

They can ignore it as long as they want to. IMO. Its what they did in the past.

I know that they've ignored things in the past, but I'm in the mindset (perhaps foolishly) that the current state of DHS in an unprecedented scenario and simply cannot go ignored for any longer.

Unfortunately, deep down I know that you're probably right. Tempering expectations. :cry:

Kamikaze

I don't know what to tell you Martin. I was there, I saw the show before the the park opened to the GP.

I think you might be misremembering. Maybe you caught the IJSS before it opened to the public.
D-MGM opened May 1, 1989.
IJSS opened in August 1989.

If thats what makes you sleep better at night? Go right ahead.

Show me one example of someone posting a major 'leak' of an event from the Anaheim Convention Center. BlizzCon, D23, Star Wars Celebration. No leaks. BlizzCon is the big one with signage that goes up and gets hidden each year, and they've never had a leak from within the convention center.

Last edited:

misterID

You're mis-remembering. Maybe you caught the IJSS before it opened to the public.
D-MGM opened May 1, 1989.
IJSS opened in August 1989.

I understand that, I went to a special preview of the park before it officially opened. I did the same with UNI. It could have been a special showing for the guests that day.

Bairstow

At this point, I whole-heartedly believe that even a minimal announcement regarding DHS at D23 would be a HUGE PR nightmare for the company. With the state of the park widely discussed not just on the message boards but also in the mainstream media, how could they afford to ignore the elephant in the room?

Because to the mainstream media, Disney announcing fancy new Star Wars rides is an easy fluff piece.
Disney not announcing Star Wars rides isn't even a non-story; it's nothing.
Please post some articles in non-geek sources if I'm wrong here, but I can't recall any articles in the mainstream press about the situation at DHS that weren't mostly couched in possible excitement for the announcement of new Star Wars-based attractions. Why else would readers be interested?

Regardless of whether or not they WANT to announce anything of substance this weekend, I feel like that really don't have a choice, at least from a business standpoint. They really need to get out in front of this story; it seems to already be getting away from them. Without announcing anything of substance, I think they're going to be doing real damage, and perhaps diminishing the overall effect when they finally do announce something of substance regardless of the grandeur sounding it.

I disagree. Or rather, I think Disney would disagree.
Every announcement of a major expansion or attraction is a precious PR commodity to Disney, and not something to be squandered. To Disney, bunching announcements together would count as squandering them, because the impact is lost if they're not separated. This year, Disneyland can announce their upcoming Star Wars announcement, and Disney World can announce the new flat rides and spinners coming for the Toy Story Playland. Next year, it will be time to announce the new Avatar attractions and give some details, assuming the Pandoraland project is still on track to open in 2017 (which will take a miracle) and then maybe the year after that Disney might announce Star Wars stuff for WDW. Or not. That might be the year Radiator Springs Lite gets announced for Pixar Place.
Finally, the last thing Disney would want to do is for families to delay their vacations because they're waiting for one project or other to be announced, so I expect any announcements of new WDW attractions to trickle out as slowly as possible and for the construction to follow at a similar pace. That's assuming of course that a further economic slowdown or rise in gas prices doesn't cancel everything.

BrianLo

At this point, I whole-heartedly believe that even a minimal announcement regarding DHS at D23 would be a HUGE PR nightmare for the company.

I think everyone overestimates how much of a US versus Californian skewing crowd D23 is. If they don't announce anything for California it would be a PR nightmare. If they don't announce anything for DHS, it is mostly those sitting at home who are miffed.

There is unlikely to be a big DHS blow-out of information. We are too many years out for that.

An acknowledgement, with a piece of concept art, is enough to keep me pleased.

Mike S

I think everyone overestimates how much of a US versus Californian skewing crowd D23 is. If they don't announce anything for California it would be a PR nightmare. If they don't announce anything for DHS, it is mostly those sitting at home who are miffed.

There is unlikely to be a big DHS blow-out of information. We are too many years out for that.

An acknowledgement, with a piece of concept art, is enough to keep me pleased.
We're the same amount of years out as DCA was.

BrianLo

We're the same amount of years out as DCA was.

I was mostly talking about a 'blow-out' of information. Shanghai just had its blow-out of specific information. Pandora seems to be about to do the same with models at D23. We are still at the blurry, non-specific concept art stage in terms of years out for DHS.

Apparently DCA was announced 4.5 years out, we are currently a little under 6 if the 2021 target date of Star Wars is still true. I hope that is no longer the case, but when it comes to Disney no one is (understandably) willing to fess up specific dates...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom