DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ProjectXBlog

Here's a recent post from Theme Park Tourist regarding a rumor about DHS' attraction state now...

"Hot on the heels of the announcement of the imminent demise of The Magic of Disney Animation, rumors have started swirling about MORE potential attractions that could be on the chopping block at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Theme Park Insider has rounded up all of the rumored closures and the list is quite staggering, including:

- MuppetVision 3D
- One Man’s Dream
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Lights! Motors! Action!
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular

If this list is indeed accurate, that would leave Disney’s Hollywood Studios with just over a dozen attractions (with only 5 rides among them), which would cripple this park. With these hypothetical closures in mind, it’s easy to wonder if it might be better for Disney to simply close this park altogether while work is being done to revamp it, as the remaining lineup would be stretching even the most liberal definition of “half day park”.

Confidence level: 75% Though it seems almost unfathomable that Disney’s Hollywood Studios would close more attractions in the near future, the massive swath of changes coming to the park may make such drastic changes necessary, lending some real credibility to this rumor."

Given this information, I honestly think closing Muppet*Vision would be terrible. The Muppets are timeless, and they deserve more park presence (maybe they could use the park-wide makeover as a chance to finally build the fabled Muppet Studios area *fingers tightly crossed*).

Also, I believe that they could just close One Man's Dream at the park, and then move it over to the Magic Kingdom, possibly in the space of the Town Square Theater...

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. What do you guys think?
i think this is just another article with info that a site gathered from people on this board and it adds nothing to the conversation. also their reason behind the rumor having credibility makes no sense at all. but tbh anything on that list is fair game

ToTBellHop

Here's a recent post from Theme Park Tourist regarding a rumor about DHS' attraction state now...

"Hot on the heels of the announcement of the imminent demise of The Magic of Disney Animation, rumors have started swirling about MORE potential attractions that could be on the chopping block at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Theme Park Insider has rounded up all of the rumored closures and the list is quite staggering, including:

- MuppetVision 3D
- One Man’s Dream

If this list is indeed accurate, that would leave Disney’s Hollywood Studios with just over a dozen attractions (with only 5 rides among them), which would cripple this park. With these hypothetical closures in mind, it’s easy to wonder if it might be better for Disney to simply close this park altogether while work is being done to revamp it, as the remaining lineup would be stretching even the most liberal definition of “half day park”.

Confidence level: 75% Though it seems almost unfathomable that Disney’s Hollywood Studios would close more attractions in the near future, the massive swath of changes coming to the park may make such drastic changes necessary, lending some real credibility to this rumor."

Given this information, I honestly think closing Muppet*Vision would be terrible. The Muppets are timeless, and they deserve more park presence (maybe they could use the park-wide makeover as a chance to finally build the fabled Muppet Studios area *fingers tightly crossed*).

Also, I believe that they could just close One Man's Dream at the park, and then move it over to the Magic Kingdom, possibly in the space of the Town Square Theater...

One Man's Dream is not moving to MK.

The "article" is rubbish. Come here for news. It's safer. This is like CNN (usually pretty accurate). Sites like that are like huff post.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

- MuppetVision 3D
- One Man’s Dream

I think I started this thread because of the BS that comes from sites like that.

I would source my information beyond what I already have, but many people have to remain anonymous due to their positions in or around the company.

Thank you Dave for the summary of information. Anyone that thinks there will NOT be a major announcement coming at D23 is just plain out of touch. The BOD came because of the Cap Ex and not to mention a COUPLE issues at D23. So anyone thinking that is not following the movement. The major DHS and WDW will be announced simply put because the BOARD did vote and the money will be allocated and this allows the EXCITEMENT and build up for the MARKETING JUGGERNAUT to commence. Once this is ANNOUNCED in conjunction with the new Star Wars movie, Disney's Marketing will go into overdrive....it will also take some air out of Universal and create IMMENSE buzz and anticipation which is EXACTLY what Iger wants. He wants to go out in style when his contract expires and WHAT A WAY TO DO IT!!! When you tie the Movie, Disney Springs, Avatar, DHS Makeover and more what a LEGACY Iger will leave and the timeline will be such that the buzz will last for YEARS which is what 3-4 billions will do when you include Disney Springs and Avatar to the DHS Makeover....so when the announcement comes watch for the MASSIVE PRESS coverage! Indeed D23 will be quite a show and Iger can take as much time as he wants whether it be 73 minutes or 120 minutes.....after all HE IS THE BOSS!

ToTBellHop

Thank you Dave for the summary of information. Anyone that thinks there will NOT be a major announcement coming at D23 is just plain out of touch. The BOD came because of the Cap Ex and not to mention a COUPLE issues at D23. So anyone thinking that is not following the movement. The major DHS and WDW will be announced simply put because the BOARD did vote and the money will be allocated and this allows the EXCITEMENT and build up for the MARKETING JUGGERNAUT to commence. Once this is ANNOUNCED in conjunction with the new Star Wars movie, Disney's Marketing will go into overdrive....it will also take some air out of Universal and create IMMENSE buzz and anticipation which is EXACTLY what Iger wants. He wants to go out in style when his contract expires and WHAT A WAY TO DO IT!!! When you tie the Movie, Disney Springs, Avatar, DHS Makeover and more what a LEGACY Iger will leave and the timeline will be such that the buzz will last for YEARS which is what 3-4 billions will do when you include Disney Springs and Avatar to the DHS Makeover....so when the announcement comes watch for the MASSIVE PRESS coverage! Indeed D23 will be quite a show and Iger can take as much time as he wants whether it be 73 minutes or 120 minutes.....after all HE IS THE BOSS!
Can I borrow your crystal ball? I am wondering if I get tenure this year.

wannabeBelle

Sorry for the interruption, here are the fireworks from last year's Fourth of July. Mulch was definitely live as seen on the screen and I was also standing there so that is a definite: Anyone recognize the fireworks show as one of the ones mentioned earlier, Sorcery in the Sky or any other? Marie

wannabeBelle

Here is the New Year's show from 2014 going into 2015. Again the band was live as several friends were in the audience watching. Anyone recognize the fireworks: Marie

DisneyManOne

One Man's Dream is not moving to MK.

The "article" is rubbish. Come here for news. It's safer. This is like CNN (usually pretty accurate). Sites like that are like huff post.

I think I started this thread because of the BS that comes from sites like that.

I would source my information beyond what I already have, but many people have to remain anonymous due to their positions in or around the company.

Oh. Well, thanks for telling me this, @ISTCNavigaor57 and @PhotoDave219. I was honestly scared when I heard the thing about MuppetVision, but then you said that website was BS, and that really made me feel better.

But, I still have one question: why exactly did they close the Magic of Disney Animation? Are they gonna replace it with a new animation-themed attraction, maybe like the California Adventure version, or do something completely different?

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Whenever I see a post like this, it reminds me of being near Tampa Bay Bucs fans in the 80's and 90's and hearing they'll get better...then after decades they finally win a super bowl, and it's like "I told you so!"....yeah, if you wait long enough, something will happen.

5 years from now we might see the payoff of all of this hype and publicity.

MajorMillsaps

So what happens if this big announcement comes next month, and MGM is getting a huge facelift? I'm curious if it's going to be a timed closure for several attractions over months, or just one big closure?

I would think its going to be a timed closure. I would rather they just shut everything down and did everything at once, but I would guess that they'll do things in stages in order to try and keep as much gate revenue as possible

jt04

Hey, who cloned me?

Agree Iger is building a legacy and not just at the theme parks. However my guess is he will let others have the spotlight at D23. Assuming that is where announcements will happen. Could be wrong though.

ToTBellHop

Oh. Well, thanks for telling me this, @ISTCNavigaor57 and @PhotoDave219. I was honestly scared when I heard the thing about MuppetVision, but then you said that website was BS, and that really made me feel better.

But, I still have one question: why exactly did they close the Magic of Disney Animation? Are they gonna replace it with a new animation-themed attraction, maybe like the California Adventure version, or do something completely different?
Long term: who knows? Short term: to display concept art and models for coming attractions at WDW. Likely AVATAR in short order...then PIXAR...then Star Wars. And the other sprinklings on the horizon (MK raft ride? Wishes 2.0? Soarin' Over the World? Frozen Ever After?) Suffice it to say: Disney thinks there is enough to show off to fill that big main room in Animation for years to come. I bet we will also see the Animation Academy open with Blue Sky Studio.

toolsnspools

D23 will hype the coming of Avatarland and the Star Wars movies coming out. There will be a good bit about Disney Springs progress. I'm sure Shanghai will get a lot of attention too. They will most likely mention the new Soarin' theater and the expansion of TSMM as well. If they mention the DHS makeover it will be a tease at best, probably as part of hyping the SW movies. If they have details about a Pixar expansion, they could drop a hint or two, but there is no sense in hyping a park that will be a construction zone for the next 5 years. There will be another D23 in 2017, and one in 2019 for getting people excited about DHS.

Goofyernmost

- MuppetVision 3D
- One Man’s Dream

I'm not sure I get your point completely. All those that you listed are, for simple definition, attractions and none of them are rides. Also, it is unlikely that they would touch anything on that side of the park until after the "real empty" side has been fixed. So I don't see it changing a whole lot from what it is right now, until that side of the park is open and doing business.

ToTBellHop

I would hope we will get a new nighttime spectacular out of this money, too. Surely Disney has noticed that the Hollywood Hills Amphitheatre's waterway, with the mountain removed, could fit all of World of Color's fountains with no need for a retractable deck to hold them. Already set up for flames, has ample seating, and no actors or pyro necessary.

Last edited:
D23 will hype the coming of Avatarland and the Star Wars movies coming out. There will be a good bit about Disney Springs progress. I'm sure Shanghai will get a lot of attention too. They will most likely mention the new Soarin' theater and the expansion of TSMM as well. If they mention the DHS makeover it will be a tease at best, probably as part of hyping the SW movies. If they have details about a Pixar expansion, they could drop a hint or two, but there is no sense in hyping a park that will be a construction zone for the next 5 years. There will be another D23 in 2017, and one in 2019 for getting people excited about DHS.
Wrong and people like you that HAVE NO CLUE how Boards work would think like that. Sorry Buddy you do not bring your BOD to Orlando for a major meeting for announcements in 2017 and 2019....and because you have no idea you get in your time capsule and emerge in 2017 and you will be clueless.....sorry Iger has a timeline and what will be announced will take 2-3 years to build but NO sir your premise would be based on a normal BOD meeting at an annual meeting....but because I work for a Chairman of a Major Corporation and set Board Meeting Agendas, have sit in on Board Meetings, arranged off site meetings and have had my boss travel all over because he sits on 5 other boards.....I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS when your BOD has an off year off site meeting with Major Cap Exp....so NO it will not be in 2017 or 2019 it will be coming this year to commence with a Major Marketing Push to build anticipation for Star War franchise and to set tone for Vacation Planning, Spending and Buzz.....

ToTBellHop

Wrong and people like you that HAVE NO CLUE how Boards work would think like that. Sorry Buddy you do not bring your BOD to Orlando for a major meeting for announcements in 2017 and 2019....and because you have no idea you get in your time capsule and emerge in 2017 and you will be clueless.....sorry Iger has a timeline and what will be announced will take 2-3 years to build but NO sir your premise would be based on a normal BOD meeting at an annual meeting....but because I work for a Chairman of a Major Corporation and set Board Meeting Agendas, have sit in on Board Meetings, arranged off site meetings and have had my boss travel all over because he sits on 5 other boards.....I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS when your BOD has an off year off site meeting with Major Cap Exp....so NO it will not be in 2017 or 2019 it will be coming this year to commence with a Major Marketing Push to build anticipation for Star War franchise and to set tone for Vacation Planning, Spending and Buzz.....
No need to get angry with people. We all know your opinion on the matter.

DisneyManOne

I would hope we will get a new nighttime spectacular out of this money, too. Surely Disney has noticed that the Hollywood Hills Amphitheatre's waterway, with the mountain removed, could fit all of World of Color's fountains with no need for a retractable deck to hold them. Already set up for flames, has ample seating, and no actors or pyro necessary.

Honestly, buddy, I'd have to disagree with you. Fantasmic! is perfect--practically the king of all Disney nighttime spectaculars--although, it could do with a bit of an update (maybe we could replace the Pocahontas sequence, expand on the villain sequence, replace the cheap-looking riverboat with a less-cheap-looking riverboat, freshen up the audio and visuals, etc.)

And also, WDW is getting a World-of-Color-esque show in the form of the Rivers of Light show coming to Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom