DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
They'd probably wait until Star Wars Land and Pixar Place are finished to start working on Muppet Studios.

On a side note, during Bob Iger's time as CEO, the "Walt" part of "Walt Disney Pictures" was removed from the logo. AND One Man's Dream will apparently close.

coincidence-i-think-not_zps04c901d9.jpg
Wasn't it Walt himself who said something along the lines of "I'm not 'Disney' anymore... the name 'Disney' is bigger than me." I'm sure that's not the quote, but something like it.

WildcatDen

Disney is playing a really dangerous game here.
Your definition of dangerous is not the same as mine. . . With as many real dangers in the world, I do not think you can classify amusement/theme park projects or plans as dangerous unless they plan to build on 3 mile island?

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Your definition of dangerous is not the same as mine. . . With s many real dangers in the world, I do not think you can classify amusement/theme park projects or plans as dangerous unless they plan to build on 3 mile island?

Dangerous to the future bottom line if they keep cutting without adding anything new.

ToTBellHop

Yup, not like there has been any discussion on building anything new recently, nope, nothing at all.

Now, back to that 3 mile island park. I think the Headliner will be Reactor Raceway.
I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to feel jaded toward the company over the past 10 years. I would say cautious optimism is the most prudent. Some people are making it out like WDW will be perfect in 5 years. It is true that nothing has been announced and a lot has closed at DHS recently, so as of 7/14/15, DHS has never been worse. We have reason to believe it has bottomed out, but the proof is in the pudding. How's that "largest expansion in our history" working out over at MK?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to feel jaded toward the company over the past 10 years. I would say cautious optimism is the most prudent. Some people are making it out like WDW will be perfect in 5 years. It is true that nothing has been announced and a lot has closed at DHS recently, so as of 7/14/15, DHS has never been worse. We have reason to believe it has bottomed out, but the proof is in the pudding. How's that "largest expansion in our history" working out over at MK?

DHS crowd levels are pretty much all over the place. They're pulling 25% peak and 37% off peak. Complete feast or famine situation.

MK? MK is packing people in, piling up peak days and hold at an unthinkable 30%.

WildcatDen

In no way am I saying WDW will be perfect, just saying I find it strange for the term "Dangerous Game" be used when discussing the two Orlando combatants and the 'nothing new' comment. I argue that there have been new offerings at WDW and there will continue to be. It may not meet the pace of the Mouse's Orlando neighbors, but, as that mathematician guy in the original Jurassic Park movie said, Nature finds a way. In this case, maybe Disney is Nature?

wdwfan757

Ehhh
Where did I say 'The Park Which Must Not Be Named' did anything BETTER, Yet while WDW was cost cutting and closing attractions - they BUILT stuff.

So far we have announcements that WDW is going to build stuff yet nothing is going vertical and the cost cuts and closures continue unabated, I find it difficult to generate enthusiasm for having a favorite show or attraction discontinued with nothing to replace it.

At least in my world people are judged by what they DO not by what they SAY, i.e talk is cheap back it up with action and TWDC has not been good in this regard for the past 10 years or so. At least TPWMNBN is Building new things while TWDC continues to close things action vs talk,

In some cases, Universal would probably be better off closing some things than keeping it open. If WDW had Twister and Disaster, everyone would crucify them for "bad show". We criticize the idea of bringing Cars land or Indy to WDW because we already have their clones, but everyone gets so excited about Spiderman with Robots aka Transformers. We criticize spending so much for MM+ and disney tickets being so expensive when Uni tickets are just as expensive, with fewer attractions, and then they make you pay extra to fastpass anything. We criticize DinoLand for being so poorly themed and them having the audacity to throw out a crazy mouse in the middle of the park when Universal plopped Dr. Doom's Fearfall, a ride at every state fair in the nation, dead smack in the middle of a land for Marvel's

I love Spiderman, Hulk Coaster, and I even like Rip Ride Rock-it because of the music selection. While poorly themed, I think the trip of water rides at IoA are pretty fun, but outside of HP, I don't think Universal is on WDW's level in the slightest. I'd rather go to Busch Gardens. If people want WDW to aspire to be another park, they need to look to Tokyo. THAT's what we should be aiming for. Definitely not USF.

Last edited:

Evolution

Ehhh

In some cases, Universal would probably be better off closing some things than keeping it open. If WDW had Twister and Disaster, everyone would crucify them for "bad show". We criticize the idea of bringing Cars land or Indy to WDW because we already have their clones, but everyone gets so excited about Spiderman with Robots aka Transformers. We criticize spending so much for MM+ and disney tickets being so expensive when Uni tickets are just as expensive, with fewer attractions, and then they make you pay extra to fastpass anything. We criticize DinoLand for being so poorly themed and them having the audacity to throw out a crazy mouse in the middle of the park when Universal plopped Dr. Doom's Fearfall, a ride at every state fair in the nation, dead smack in the middle of a land for Marvel's

I love Spiderman, Hulk Coaster, and I even like Rip Ride Rock-it because of the music selection. While poorly themed, I think the trip of water rides at IoA are pretty fun, but outside of HP, I don't think Universal is on WDW's level in the slightest. I'd rather go to Busch Gardens. If people want WDW to inspire to be another park, they need to look to Tokyo. THAT's what we should be aiming for. Definitely not USF.

Twister and Disaster are both closing within a year so that won't be able to be said for much longer. Transformers is a "clone" in the same way Haunted Mansion/Little Mermaid (omnimovers) or Pirates/small world (boat rides) are "clones." I don't think I've ever seen anyone say Universal is just as expensive, I've only heard that they offer a much better value. Some of the rides at DCA are the same rides that are at state fairs too, like the Ferris wheel, swings, wild mouse coaster (also at DAK), etc. No mention of those huh?

The poster you quoted never even said Universal is better or even on Disney's level but they did say that they're building new rides, which they continue to do every year. Universal is making great strides at making their parks better. Just wait until Nintendoland opens (most likely before 2021)...

RSoxNo1

The last big Parks & Resorts presentation at D23 Expo was in 2011. It was also scheduled to run 90 minutes, it actually ran 73 minutes, and it discussed the following; New Fantasyland update, new snack bars and water slides being built at Aulani, Shanghai Disneyland's castle facility, and a Cars Land construction update.

Even if they use all 90 minutes, they could fill that up with fluffy corporate words about the shopping mall progress at Disney Springs, a Frozenstrom construction update, a recap of the ride upgrades and night parade for Disneyland's 60th, a release of vague Avatar sketches heavy on misty clouds and light on details, and the non-surprise announcement that a hybrid version of MyMagic+ is coming to Anaheim in 2016.

It's entirely possible that they won't say a word about DHS or Star Wars or Marvel Land or Toy Story Land or anything of any substance, much less something that would be a surprise.
In 2011 they took 73 minutes and didn't announce anything new. If it's only 90 minutes I think it's going to be a pretty packed 90 minutes.

TyrantBoss

What really needs to be revealed is WHERE are they building things.
- Will Streets of America be replace with the Star Wars area?
- If they get rid of Streets of America then they will have to remove the Christmas shot and Mama Melrose
- Are they going to relocate those or simply close them both?
- We can pretty much assume that the Pixar area will be where the backlot tour used to be.
- Lights, Motors, Action would probably be part of Pixar.
- What will happen to the old Sounds theater and the Idol theater? Will they be torn down or repurposed for Star Wars?
- Will they get rid of the Dinosaur by the lake or is that going to stay?
- If they get rid of the Dinosaur it will clear the line of sight for the Star Wars area that will be behind it.
- Will Star Wars take over where the Muppets is now, or will they be building a newer Muppets area?
- Are they getting ride of The Voyage of the Little Mermaid? They have the new ride in New Fantasyland so they don't need it there.
- What will they put in its place?

Sam Magic

What really needs to be revealed is WHERE are they building things.
- Will Streets of America be replace with the Star Wars area?
- If they get rid of Streets of America then they will have to remove the Christmas shot and Mama Melrose
- Are they going to relocate those or simply close them both?
- We can pretty much assume that the Pixar area will be where the backlot tour used to be.
- Lights, Motors, Action would probably be part of Pixar.
- What will happen to the old Sounds theater and the Idol theater? Will they be torn down or repurposed for Star Wars?
- Will they get rid of the Dinosaur by the lake or is that going to stay?
- If they get rid of the Dinosaur it will clear the line of sight for the Star Wars area that will be behind it.
- Will Star Wars take over where the Muppets is now, or will they be building a newer Muppets area?
- Are they getting ride of The Voyage of the Little Mermaid? They have the new ride in New Fantasyland so they don't need it there.
- What will they put in its place?
If they are turning Animation Courtyard and the surrounding area into a Pixar shrine I would imagine that Voyage is going to be taken out and the building probably demolished.

And if the area surrounding Star Tours will become a Star Wars shrine then I imagine the Idol building is out/heavy re-theme.

The only question you asked that can not be answered with common sense based on the rumors we have heard for years is what is going to happen to the Muppet's.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
If they are turning Animation Courtyard and the surrounding area into a Pixar shrine I would imagine that Voyage is going to be taken out and the building probably demolished.

And if the area surrounding Star Tours will become a Star Wars shrine then I imagine the Idol building is out/heavy re-theme.

The only question you asked that can not be answered with common sense based on the rumors we have heard for years is what is going to happen to the Muppet's.

Yes, We havent any idea one way or the other what becomes of the Muppets.

You give me a Muppet miniland and a Star Wars Land and I'm gonna be a six year old until I die....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom