DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

TeddyinMO

Golly, and I just praised WDW's Christmas party in another thread, so you kinda just blew your cred there, pal. But then pixie-dusters do tend to narrow their focus on posts that dare to criticize the parks in any way, and make ignorant assumptions. Whatevs.

As for the DCA name, it's lame too, always was, even more so now that the park's a far cry from what it once was (also lame). I think TDA ought to drop the dumb name and call the whole thing Disneyland. That's the name people use when they want to visit a certain park in Anaheim, anyway, so why not?
Enjoy the new Muppet Show!

Professortango1

Golly, and I just praised WDW's Christmas party in another thread, so you kinda just blew your cred there, pal. But then pixie-dusters do tend to narrow their focus on posts that dare to criticize the parks in any way, and make ignorant assumptions. Whatevs.

As for the DCA name, it's lame too, always was, even more so now that the park's a far cry from what it once was (also lame). I think TDA ought to drop the dumb name and call the whole thing Disneyland. That's the name people use when they want to visit a certain park in Anaheim, anyway, so why not?

The park is still very California centric, so the name works perfectly.

DinoInstitute

But seriously, someone here came up with the name "Disney's Movieland". I think that's pretty good. There's Adventureland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, so why not Movieland? Yes, DHS is not part of the Magic Kingdom, but that name is still better than "Disney's Hollywood Adventure". Yech.
Assuming the GMR replacement comes to fruition, I think "Mickey's Movieland" would be a good name for the park.

PizzaPlanet

It got cancelled. So sad.
b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9d8e37d821db02098b3551f8f.jpg

plutofan15

Agreed, it's absolutely crazy how inefficient Disney can be with both space and money.

More than likely the amount being thrown about includes the demolition, infrastructure work (roads, drainage, land clearing, etc.), relocation of the fireworks launch area and more than likely other items which I have missed in addition to the cost of the actual building of rides and attractions. All of that work is not cheap and adds to overall cost. Correct if I am mistaken but I do not believe that the work done at Universal was on the scale of the project at DHS.

doctornick

More than likely the amount being thrown about includes the demolition, infrastructure work (roads, drainage, land clearing, etc.), relocation of the fireworks launch area and more than likely other items which I have missed in addition to the cost of the actual building of rides and attractions. All of that work is not cheap and adds to overall cost. Correct if I am mistaken but I do not believe that the work done at Universal was on the scale of the project at DHS.

It certainly includes a lot of stuff to be done (parking is another big one in addition to what you mentioned) but the rumor was that $1.8 billion was approved just for DHS. That's so much money that you could do a ton of infrastructure improvements and should still have plenty left over for 3 full fledged lands. And it's not like anything going in TSL should be that costly -- it's just a flat ride and a modest coaster.

Thanks phoenicians

It certainly includes a lot of stuff to be done (parking is another big one in addition to what you mentioned) but the rumor was that $1.8 billion was approved just for DHS. That's so much money that you could do a ton of infrastructure improvements and should still have plenty left over for 3 full fledged lands. And it's not like anything going in TSL should be that costly -- it's just a flat ride and a modest coaster.
I thought @1023 said something about us not knowing everything thats coming to DHS yet. Not sure if he can elaborate yet but for 1.8 billion i'd hope he's right.

doctornick

The park has potential. ToT is one of the best rides around. We enjoy RnRc, Star Tours, Muppets and TS MM
I think the park will probably be great in terms of headliners come 2019/2020, but will still have the problem -- which it has always had despite being opened now for over a quarter of a century -- of not enough C-ticket stuff to round of the experience. Putting in a few modest dark rides would make a huge difference in terms of how well the park renovation is received.

Ironically, I feel like I keep saying that about every single Disney park. It seems like the powers that be fail to recognize how important those smaller scale attractions are to the full experience. The older castle parks have them built in, but the newer parks (except TDS) -- even the new castle ones -- seem to forgo them. Really, every non-MK park at WDW would greatly benefit from adding a few C-tickets.

The irony is that when you are adding this huge attention grabbing E-tickets (e.g. Pandora in DAK, Star Wars in DHS, perhaps GotG in Epcot) that would be the perfect PR cover to also add some ride capacity with smaller stuff that doesn't have to be marketed as the greatest thing ever, but would makes the parks much improved overall.

Professortango1

I agree, with the exception of Tower of Terror. It should be re-named "Disney's This Park is So Terrible, I'd Rather Watch Paint Dry Than Set Foot in Here"

Even TOT is showing its age and simplistically. Would love to see the 5th Dimension Room get upgraded effects and a better ending scene than the silent projection screen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SWL construction alone is just over a billion.

Not including roads. Nor fireworks. Nor anything else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom