DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

doctornick

@Mike S didn't you read an article about a third attraction for SWL that got cut because of the budget? Something like a Peoplemover type of attraction?

That's the sad thing. For a $1B budget, there should be more than 2 rides and that Bantha-mover would have been a great compliment to the other planned rides (as well as been something good for DHS in general).

According to MiceChat a people mover style attraction was planned, and TDA was pushing for it, and allegedly while it was still the "One Disney" thing TDO pulled their trump card and had the third attraction axed as they didn't wanna pay for it. Just what I read, not sure the truth behind all of it

Of course, it's Micechat, so I tend to be skeptical of how they assign "blame" especially when it comes to an opportunity to slam WDW while praising DLR. Insiders on here have confirmed that such an attraction was discussed but cut from the final plans, but I don't recall seeing anyone confirm that TDO specifically vetoed it.

Thanks phoenicians

For any of the insiders, are we still looking at new entertainment and shows both daytime and night or has that been scaled back too? Also is there any chance they address the former animation building because as of now it seems slated to just sit there empty (though i'm sure they don't see a problem with that).

RSoxNo1

I forgot :) I will be experiencing the Disney Magic for the first time using the magic bands in a few months. There is a lot more planning than before, I like to go with the flow but don't want to get the stews put to me.
We found a new exploit on MDE that allows for it to operate similarly to the old paper fast pass. It's far from an equitable system. People that know what they're doing can really maximize their day. We were able to do more with Fastpass+ than paper Fastpass now that everything can be done on the phone.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Given what I know it seems DHS. But I hope it is shared R&D though I cannot confirm this.

Shared R&D....Yep....

It should look fantastic. Albeit a little small.

Far too small..... Would have been better with the C-ticket..... Frustrated at the left coast's lack of expansion space...( This effort really cried out for more than 3 moving attractions.)

According to MiceChat a people mover style attraction was planned, and TDA was pushing for it, and allegedly while it was still the "One Disney" thing TDO pulled their trump card and had the third attraction axed as they didn't wanna pay for it. Just what I read, not sure the truth behind all of it

Not quite the whole story as always. More than a few reasons we didn't get the full slate at either park. Budget was one consideration.

I do agree with you on how MiceChat writes their articles, but I think its safe to say that TDO vetoed it.

Again, there is a lot of missing information. The full slate looked impressive but it always gets whittled away and shelved. Both coasts are adding beautifully themed lands and Florida's could still expand (NOT easily) in the nebulous future.

I'll be at DLR and WDW in October. I know I'll get to see some things.

*1023*

mickEblu

Well, on one hand TDO cost us the Bantha mover but on the other, their cheapness saved TOT at DHS. So it's a wash. Still mad at them though, because they didn't help save my tower but cost us the Bantha mover here in Anaheim.

Goingdown13

For any of the insiders, are we still looking at new entertainment and shows both daytime and night or has that been scaled back too? Also is there any chance they address the former animation building because as of now it seems slated to just sit there empty (though i'm sure they don't see a problem with that).

Former animation building is full to the brim with people with that not changing any time in the future.

doctornick

Far too small..... Would have been better with the C-ticket..... Frustrated at the left coast's lack of expansion space...( This effort really cried out for more than 3 moving attractions.)

Could you expand on this? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Again, there is a lot of missing information. The full slate looked impressive but it always gets whittled away and shelved. Both coasts are adding beautifully themed lands and Florida's could still expand (NOT easily) in the nebulous future.

Here's the thing. I get that DL is going to be constrained by available land. DHS, however, doesn't have the same issue and Star Wars is going at the edge of the park. So, sure, they make the two lands virtually identical, which makes sense for R&D. But, @marni1971 has stated that it would be difficult to expand Star Wars at DHS based on how it is being built (backstage being blocked off, etc.). I don't understand that at all -- given the "blessing of size", why wouldn't they design the land in such a way that it could be expanded at DHS in the future?

To me, given the popularity of Star Wars and how much the company is pushing it, that would seem like a no brainer. In fact, I would kind of expect them to have a Star Wars land 2.0 in blue sky ready to go if given the greenlight after the inevitable popularity of the initial land.

doctornick

Former animation building is full to the brim with people with that not changing any time in the future.

As has been stated, those folks can be easily relocated. The bigger issue is that current building for Launch Bay isn't going anywhere until the proper Star Wars land opens. And they would need to tear that down to get access to the overall larger plot where the Animation bldg offices sit.

I'd like to think that there are plans ready to go to tear down Launch Bay and expand the area around Animation Courtyard (connecting it to the RNR area?) as soon as Star Wars Experience opens.

doctornick

Not quite. I've indicated there's almost as much space available as currently being used between the new guest area and the back of the GMR / TSMM buildings.

Okay, that's interesting. So, there might be an expansion pad within the current park boundaries. Okay.

But I know we've talked before as to whether they could expand Star Wars (to the corner on the other side of the retention pond or to the area south where the current access road for the toll plaza is) and you have stated that the way the land is designed that it would be difficult to get guest access to that space. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I would like to think they would design the land in a way that they would anticipate expansion and leave specific expansion pads intact as part of a master plan.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay, that's interesting. So, there might be an expansion pad within the current park boundaries. Okay.

But I know we've talked before as to whether they could expand Star Wars (to the corner on the other side of the retention pond or to the area south where the current access road for the toll plaza is) and you have stated that the way the land is designed that it would be difficult to get guest access to that space. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I would like to think they would design the land in a way that they would anticipate expansion and leave specific expansion pads intact as part of a master plan.
Yep. I've said it appears difficult to expand the land much more further south and east.

Goingdown13

As has been stated, those folks can be easily relocated. The bigger issue is that current building for Launch Bay isn't going anywhere until the proper Star Wars land opens. And they would need to tear that down to get access to the overall larger plot where the Animation bldg offices sit.

I'd like to think that there are plans ready to go to tear down Launch Bay and expand the area around Animation Courtyard (connecting it to the RNR area?) as soon as Star Wars Experience opens.

I never said they couldn't be easily located. I was clarifying someone who said it was empty.

While everyone could be easily moved to an office building in celebration, they aren't doing that. At least not for a while.

doctornick

Not quite. I've indicated there's almost as much space available as currently being used between the new guest area and the back of the GMR / TSMM buildings.

So, just to go back to this and clarify (if you'll bear with me): are you suggesting that there is indeed some space between the future Star Wars land and the GMR/TSMM buildings -- which I guess would be about where HISTK and High Octane sat -- which could be used to expand Star Wars in the future?

And, if this is correct, is there similar space allocated somewhere in DL?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, just to go back to this and clarify (if you'll bear with me): are you suggesting that there is indeed some space between the future Star Wars land and the GMR/TSMM buildings -- which I guess would be about where HISTK and High Octane sat -- which could be used to expand Star Wars in the future?

And, if this is correct, is there similar space allocated somewhere in DL?
Yes and I don't know ! Though DLs expansion seems to be to the east.

JediMasterMatt

Don't worry about trying to fit more Star Wars into the current space(s) on both coasts. When/if the time comes, by design it's not going to be in congruent space to the Lands under construction. The galaxy is vast and don't be surprised that another port opens in lieu of adding more to what is already underway.

The hodgepodge/greatest hits approach for Star Wars in the Parks went out the window very early on in the process. It's unified Potterville design from here on out and just one point on the galactic map is under construction.

Also, on the topic of the axed 3rd attraction - there is another positive spin on the story. It may have been the straw that broke the Bantha's back when it comes to finally killing off OneDisney. Anaheim was none too pleased by Orlando's boat anchor interfering with this and now the ties have been severed.

Which leads to another story for another day about whether or not TDO is going to continue to TDO or if Chapek's going to get them playing ball. Early word is that it's still very much a work in progress and there is a lot of kicking and screaming behind the scenes.

doctornick

Which leads to another story for another day about whether or not TDO is going to continue to TDO or if Chapek's going to get them playing ball. Early word is that it's still very much a work in progress and there is a lot of kicking and screaming behind the scenes.

Here's the thing I don't understand about that... Aren't TDO and TDA run by largely the same people? What I mean is, right now Michael Colglazier is heading TDA, but he worked at WDW for a while; George A. Kalogridis leads TDO but he was just the head of Anaheim. Other people have gone back and forth between the two operations. While there certainly is some differences in how the resorts are run (especially based on the types of guests present for each), wouldn't you expect similar mindsets among leadership between the resorts due to the cross-pollination?

HauntedMansionFLA

Would Disney look at the Indiana Jones Stunt Show as a separate Star wars land connected with something like the PeopleMover that was cut from this round of the budget. They will realize the land is too small. Just like the Train connects the potter lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom