DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's what I expected, but I'm surprised to see it still be around in recent aerial shots and was wondering if they may have decided to keep it and re-theme it. Seems like there is enough space that they could keep it if they wanted and have the berm for Star Wars start beyond it (to the west).
The playground site sits on the main entrance to SWL from the east.

po1998

Being blunt, they are not getting rid of Launch Bay any time soon. They will use that space to showcase "new" Star Wars stuff over the next few years until the land is open. they want to have as strong of a SW presence in the parks as possible prior to the land being open (I mean, they are basing a major advertising campaign on it).

That said, I fully expect that Launch Bay will close once Star Wars Experience opens. I hope that they will then use that footprint effectively -- whether putting new stuff in the existing building like a return of Animation stuff or, IMHO ideally, tearing it down and creating a new land or multiple attractions with that space.
I fully understand that Launch Bay is not going away soon. But it aggravates the heck out of me that they took away an attraction(Animation Bldg) as lame as it was, in a park that is torn apart, and replaced it with this. It is nothing more than a marketing machine for the years away to be opened SWL. That is in addition to SW movie previews or whatever they call it, in what used to be the Sounds Dangerous Bldg(I think that is it). Just wishful dreaming on my part that Launch Bay would disappear from DHS.

po1998

Paid for entertainment.

ie shopping.
LOL. Without entertainment(I hope there will be something both day and night in terms of numerous M&G's) and just two attractions(even though they should both be very good), the immersive nature of the land only goes so far when people pay 100+ to get into the park looking for ATTRACTIONS to occupy their time.

Next Big Thing

I fully understand that Launch Bay is not going away soon. But it aggravates the heck out of me that they took away an attraction(Animation Bldg) as lame as it was, in a park that is torn apart, and replaced it with this. It is nothing more than a marketing machine for the years away to be opened SWL. That is in addition to SW movie previews or whatever they call it, in what used to be the Sounds Dangerous Bldg(I think that is it). Just wishful dreaming on my part that Launch Bay would disappear from DHS.
I agree with you on Animation (except for the lame part), but Sounds Dangerous hasn't been open for years. It's ironic that every time someone wants to complain about what's in that space, they reference back to SD... which was horrible in itself.

I personally would love the SD building/Frozen theatre to just be completely gutted and put a dark ride inside. An appropriately themed people eater.

Last edited:

Marty Rotondo

It seems like theyre really limiting themselves as far as space goes. I dont understand why they wanted to cram this park into the armpit of the highway system. Why dont they build some kind of bridge over the main entrance road? Similar to the stairs af USH.

po1998

I agree with you on Animation (except for the lame part), but Sounds Dangerous hasn't been open for years. It's ironic that every time someone wants to complain about what's in that space, they reference back to SD... which was horrible in itself.

I personally would love the SD building/Frozen theatre to just be completely gutted and put a dark ride inside. An appropriately themed people eater.
I was only referring to the SD building being used as another marketing tool for SW. Not that I miss the attraction.

Slowjack

It seems like theyre really limiting themselves as far as space goes. I dont understand why they wanted to cram this park into the armpit of the highway system. Why dont they build some kind of bridge over the main entrance road? Similar to the stairs af USH.
Clearly they underestimated the idea when they first put in the park, because they could have easily left themselves with more expansion room. They have, though, considered expanding across World Drive (in some way--maybe putting parking over them so they could expand the actual park into the current parking lot). However, getting rid of the actual studios--sound stages, animation studio, and backlot--has apparently freed up more than enough space to add in Star Wars and The Surprisingly Underbuilt Toy Story LandTM. That's not to say they couldn't still run out of land in the future.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

A bridge wouldn't even be needed. The blue line shows where the new entrance road is going to be which means the current entrance road could be removed opening up a lot of expansion space. For whatever reason they are choosing at this point to keep all expansion within the current park boundaries.

upload_2016-8-26_10-9-28.png

Next Big Thing

For whatever reason they are choosing at this point to keep all expansion within the current park boundaries.
Because imo, when your park sucks (and has plenty of room for growth still through dead spots), it's better to fix what you have than expand and ignore the other problems. Now, whenever they decide to expand, the park will be set up in much better shape for it.

Mike S

Because imo, when your park sucks (and has plenty of room for growth still through dead spots), it's better to fix what you have than expand and ignore the other problems. Now, whenever they decide to expand, the park will be set up in much better shape for it.
I agree but will they use all that space outlined by @danlb_2000? I doubt it. I also don't consider GMR to be a dead spot.

Next Big Thing

I agree but will they use all that space outlined by @danlb_2000? I doubt it. I also don't consider GMR to be a dead spot.
I don't consider GMR to be a dead spot either. I'm not making decisions though.

Animation courtyard need to be razed and a few areas along Sunset have pads for expansion. Hyperion/SD is a waste of space at the moment as well. That's all without even mentioning Echo Lake.

And no, I don't. I think where they will expand is north of Echo Lake, into the parking lot if they ever decide to expand the park. With the entrance road over by SWL/Muppets being moved, I can see that road possible being taken over by the park for backstage use.

Matt_Black

Actually, the original show was pretty cool. Even if you disagree, you have to admit the preshow with Letterman was great. "If you break anything, guards in mouse ears will beat you silly."

MagicHappens1971

The fact that all the cast members were announced to be acting as if they are members of the Star Wars Universe should be fairly entertaining as well. It that makes the final cut.
This was more from JK Rowling then Universal, but their TM's who work in Diagon Alley & Hogsemede are supposed to act like they're a part of the Harry Potter Universe too.

Goofyernmost

Actually, the original show was pretty cool. Even if you disagree, you have to admit the preshow with Letterman was great. "If you break anything, guards in mouse ears will beat you silly."
I've been to both the original Sound Show (in fact I got chosen to go up and participate in that) and Sounds Dangerous. I liked them both. The Sound Show was fun and interesting and I marveled at the originality of S.D. in how it attempted to show, in darkness, the significance of proper sound effects. Unfortunately, most could not get past the darkness and understand what they were attempting to do. Oh, well... not everything works. I admire their courage in trying though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom