DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Bacon

@marni1971 I don't remember the building with the radio tower on top being slated for removal for any of the current expansions, would you be able to shed some light on why they'd remove the radio tower? Does it have to do with the "park upgrades" that are coming with the not so phase 3 phase 3?
I think they are trying to get rid of tower only not the building :hilarious:

Goofyernmost

@marni1971 I don't remember the building with the radio tower on top being slated for removal for any of the current expansions, would you be able to shed some light on why they'd remove the radio tower? Does it have to do with the "park upgrades" that are coming with the not so phase 3 phase 3?
I'm not marni, but, I would think that the tower was taken down because whatever they do with the buildings it will not have the same theme which was TV/Radio. No need for the tower.

doctornick

For some reason, I was thinking about it today and just got dismayed over the seemingly half done job they are planning with this park. I remember when there was the talk of a massive $1.8 billion overhaul and there was rumors of not just the announced TSL and Star Wars but a third fully built land (Monstropolis?) in addition to updates of the existing shows. It seemed like Disney might actually be putting the effort into finally fixing the park and helping it reach its potential.

Now? TSL that appears to be hacked to pieces, no third land, an additional since ride (Mickey Mouse) that replaces one of the existing rides. So, disappointing after so much hope.

Is there any chance than once Star Wars opens, they actually do the ride thing and expand in either Animation Courtyard (tear down Launch Bay and build) or Echo Lake (tear down Indy and building behind and into the parking lot)? I know Disney is notoriously terrible with using their money but they can't be burning all that approved money on what we are going to get (and parking, assuming that's still coming), are they?

flyerjab

For some reason, I was thinking about it today and just got dismayed over the seemingly half done job they are planning with this park. I remember when there was the talk of a massive $1.8 billion overhaul and there was rumors of not just the announced TSL and Star Wars but a third fully built land (Monstropolis?) in addition to updates of the existing shows. It seemed like Disney might actually be putting the effort into finally fixing the park and helping it reach its potential.

Now? TSL that appears to be hacked to pieces, no third land, an additional since ride (Mickey Mouse) that replaces one of the existing rides. So, disappointing after so much hope.

Is there any chance than once Star Wars opens, they actually do the ride thing and expand in either Animation Courtyard (tear down Launch Bay and build) or Echo Lake (tear down Indy and building behind and into the parking lot)? I know Disney is notoriously terrible with using their money but they can't be burning all that approved money on what we are going to get (and parking, assuming that's still coming), are they?

I am also disappointed at the approach that they are taking with TSL. It was such a great opportunity to take a property and do something unique with it as compared to the Toy Story Lands at the other foreign parks.

I also thought that the original amount for this park was 2.8 billion. If so, where is all of that going? I thought that the new head of WDI was going to make positive changes to how that division operates from a cost perspective.

One thing I do wonder though is if they are waiting on some of that capital to see how this park functions with SWL. They may be at a junction where they want to decide if they want to spend more money on immediately adding to SWL, or trying to determine if a new land would be the better option. I also still think that if the new Indiana Jones movie (or movies) take off, that they won't simply keep the IJSS as is. I would expect future changes to that area at some point.

mleeeman

The figures between now and 2021 do add up. Attraction and park work that's been discussed here, BOH items, other smaller projects that won't set the world on fire plus roads, parking and infrastructure.
Speaking of parking, what happened to the parking garages that were rumored?

flyerjab

The figures between now and 2021 do add up. Attraction and park work that's been discussed here, BOH items, other smaller projects that won't set the world on fire plus roads, parking and infrastructure.

So is it simply a matter of SWL and what they want to do there costs so much, coupled with the parking and infrastructure changes, that this is what neutered TSL and a 3rd full land addition? If so, that is a shame - because we all know that they really have the money.

WhatTheDisney94

I've posted the following on a couple of threads, so bear with me lol...
A lot of people have been asking about the fate of Star Tours and it's future (if any) with Star Wars Land. I personally love Star Tours, and considering it's popular, light-hearted fun aspect, I think it could fit thematically well within the new planet if Imagineering decides to keep it. However, it's current location is what plagues such discussions. So I came up with this wishful thinking design layout (attached image) for the south side of the park, that keeps Star Tours to a new location within the SWL site. In my plan, Star Tours would relocate to the former location of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, with the size of the current ride building fitting snugly there (exempting gift shop space), and still leaving more than enough room for the new attractions Disney has planned for SWL in the demo prep site. This would leave Muppets Courtyard untouched and not sticking out awkwardly between Star Tours and SWL. Toy Story Land stays the same. With Star Tours moved, this would allow the original Star Tours, Backlot Express, and Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular buildings (and maybe some backstage) to be yesteryear, allowing room for an Echo Lake expansion (or other mini-land, preferably with a new/semi-new Indiana Jones themed attraction). If I were the powers that be with no concerns in spending (ha!), this is what I would pursue for this part of the park (I have expansion ideas cooked up for the other half of the park too). Just fan-dreaming, of course. :);)

Attachments

• DHS project makeover.png
    DHS project makeover.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom