DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Herbie

Yay, a source that Martin can corroborate!
Feel free to drop any Indy bombs.

I've been hoping that the Theatre of the Stars becomes the Carthay Circle (with the current being replaced), featuring a Snow White musical. Ah well, though.

Nice to know that they aren't above using DCL's shows (was also hoping for the Golden Mickeys where Frozen is).

Mike S

Yay, a source that Martin can corroborate!
Feel free to drop any Indy bombs.

I've been hoping that the Theatre of the Stars becomes the Carthay Circle (with the current being replaced), featuring a Snow White musical. Ah well, though.

Nice to know that they aren't above using DCL's shows (was also hoping for the Golden Mickeys where Frozen is).
I don't think they'll build a second Carthay Circle in DHS right next to this one.
carthay_sunsetblvd2011ww.jpg

Kman101

I loved Mermaid in it's time but a change is so beyond necessary. Tangled's the right choice. This is something they should have already implemented like 3 years ago though.

Happy for a Beauty and Beast refresh. I like the show it just needs updates. I'm OK with it staying as long as Mermaid goes.

I think Hyperion deserves better than the Frozen Sing-Along. Why can't we get a version of the show from DCA, since we like to copy everything? The sing-along is fine but I hope they have plans for a replacement, not that it's an emergency like the other two shows.

So is the Animation Courtyard going to stick around as, well, that? Makes sense to have a Disney Animation area in a Disney park ... ;)

YodaMan

My understanding is that the entertainment changes will come later ever since SWL settled in on a 2019 opening. Surely after GMR closes, they TRULY cannot afford to close anything else.

But isn't that kind of the point of entertainment? Surely they could rehearse a show in a facility and build sets and stuff off-site and only take a show offline for a week or so to convert the rest and open a new show. It's not like GMR where they'd have to take it offline for over a year and take a hit to capacity before opening new.

ToTBellHop

But isn't that kind of the point of entertainment? Surely they could rehearse a show in a facility and build sets and stuff off-site and only take a show offline for a week or so to convert the rest and open a new show. It's not like GMR where they'd have to take it offline for over a year and take a hit to capacity before opening new.
It takes Disney FAR longer than that. These theatres will need full renovations (and in one case, new walls and climate control). You also build the sets. We are probably looking at a 6 month conversion in Mermaid's case, 1 year for BatB if they follow-through with the plan to enclose the theatre. You really cannot afford to take those shows offline right now (when they still fill up and are guest-favorites).

DinoInstitute

Beauty and the Beast will open a new(ish) version of the show around the same time as the release of the live action movie. That's the goal, anyway. No idea if the theatre will be enclosed, but some much needed updates will be coming (costumes, scenery, music, choreo). Think of it as a facelift rather than a total overhaul.

Tangled is the replacement for Mermaid. Supposedly, it's based on the DCL show, but I assume this means from a tech perspective, as the DCL version is long for a theme park and takes place in a larger theatre anyways. Either way, the closing is (was?) slated to be within a year from now, with work immediately beginning to transform the space.

The timeline for Tangled could be wonky, though; my source was uncertain about Great Movie Ride and Rivers of Lights' fates, so she's certainly not all-knowing, and I could easily see Tangled being pushed back or forward based on where we are with The Great Mickey Ride. Beast is coming first, though.
Do you know if the facade to the building for the Tangled show will change at all? I hope they finally ditch the studio-soundstage theme to make it look nice and match the rest of the Old Hollywood areas.

Last edited:

Jones14

It takes Disney FAR longer than that. These theatres will need full renovations (and in one case, new walls and climate control). You also build the sets. We are probably looking at a 6 month conversion in Mermaid's case, 1 year for BatB if they follow-through with the plan to enclose the theatre. You really cannot afford to take those shows offline right now (when they still fill up and are guest-favorites).

From what I was told, that may be the case with Tangled, but they were pretty set on Beauty and the Beast being ready for the movie's opening day. What I gathered from that is that Beast will reopen, then Great Movie Ride will close, and Tangled will close at some point after that. I figure they'll push Tangled back to *shudder* right after Toy Story Land opens.

Thanks phoenicians

Have you heard anything in terms of nighttime entertainment (new or updated) or the return of a parade?

Atomicmickey

This area will have a new theme fitting with the wider park architecture.

Any murmurings out there as far as the 'big picture' identity of the park?
You know, the new name, etc.?
I am puzzling over how they are going to tie this all together into an overall theme . . .
when you talk about wider park architecture, it made me wonder.
It seems like the 'old Hollywood' entrance is staying the same, so some variation on
that? I know it's been discussed and mused upon, just wondering if you know where it's landing . .

doctornick

Speaking of Tangled, there was a rumor of a show based on that being put into the Fantasmic! theater during the day time. Was that idea ditched? It's unfortunate, since they could put a show there to actually increase capacity right now -- or at least allow them to close VOTLM or BatB for upgrades/changes without decreasing the number of stage shows.

MagicHappens1971

Speaking of Tangled, there was a rumor of a show based on that being put into the Fantasmic! theater during the day time. Was that idea ditched? It's unfortunate, since they could put a show there to actually increase capacity right now -- or at least allow them to close VOTLM or BatB for upgrades/changes without decreasing the number of stage shows.
The latest rumor I've seen about Tangled is that Tangled will be replacing VOTLM, and BATB will get upgrades rather then a replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom