DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Smiddimizer

Was it strange having Star Tours and Body Works running at the same time?

That's like comparing two 3D shows....two moving boxes. Completely different despite being the same underneath, like PotC and Small World. My point was RSR and TT are alike in more than just their ride system.

doctornick

I completely agree. I'm all for immersive lands- but not one they might need to tear down in 20 years. Avatar they could easily make beastly kingdom if they ever really needed to. Star Wars, toy story. No problem. But I'd much rather them have several different mini-land areas that touched on several Pixar elements- even Brave, Wall-E, Up, and some of the less represented IPs.
I'd think that'd be a smart strategy as they can sell numerous merchandise IPs to a multitude of demographics.
I know they're going to do a land- but I wish they'd do 4-5 different mini areas/restaurants/rides/shows/etc instead.

Agree. I would much rather see a full blown "Pixar Place" with multiple mini-lands. That would provide flexibility to re-theme in the future if something falls out of favor and makes it easier to expand in the future as new hits develop. With lands developed to specific IPs, you are kind of stuck with it barring a costly redo of the entire land.

Think of a Pixar Place consisting of some of the following (in addition to the announced Toy Story Land):
1. RSR or Cars dark ride + Flo's (food) and/or Lizzies (merch)
2. Monstropolis with door coaster or Ride and Go Seek + Harry Hausen's (food)
3. HISTK rethemed to Bug's Life + maybe a flat ride or two from DCA
4. Incredibles ride (there was a planned one using a Kuka arm at one point)
5. Ratatouille ride + Remy's (food)
6. PPF style ride for Up

elchippo

They are creating immersive IP franchise-driven lands because this is Disney's Hollywood Studios/Park to be Named Later, which is going to be a park about walking through the fourth wall into the worlds of these movies-- this is not about visiting a Magic Kingdom or a Studio as in the past.

If "immersive lands" had been the trend when the park opened, they'd be sitting here now trying to figure out what to do with their outdated DickTracy Land and Rocketeer Land. Add some dogs and cats to Streets of America and we could easily have "Oliver and Company" land:)

These single IP based-lands just aren't the best idea for later on when an ENTIRE section has to be closed and bulldozed again because it's theme was so narrow and left no room to evolve. I'm not much of a west coast guy, but wasn't there talk of Disneyland's Toontown going away (for SW) because it's outdated?

doctornick

As much as I'd love 5 new rides, I don't think it'd be realistic w/ their approach. I'd be ok with just an Up or Ratatouille restaurant, or an Up or Incredibles Meet and Greet area w/ shopping, etc. That would seem more realistic- 3 rides and some other attractions, M&Gs, Stores that hit several IPs. If they did those 5 rides I would buy season passes yet again. But we know they won't. @doctornick for CEO.

Well, I wasn't really suggesting all of those things to be built, but some combination of 3-4 of them to make a proper "Pixar Place" would IMHO work well. I just think that would be a better idea that have a single IP land that may end up seeming outdated in the future and limits expansion/further development.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
If "immersive lands" had been the trend when the park opened, they'd be sitting here now trying to figure out what to do with their outdated DickTracy Land and Rocketeer Land. Add some dogs and cats to Streets of America and we could easily have "Oliver and Company" land:)

These single IP based-lands just aren't the best idea for later on when an ENTIRE section has to be closed and bulldozed again because it's theme was so narrow and left no room to evolve. I'm not much of a west coast guy, but wasn't there talk of Disneyland's Toontown going away (for SW) because it's outdated?
First, I think that we should acknowledge the difference in the seven plus films in the Star Wars series over five decades and the four Toy Story films over three decades versus Oliver and Company and the Rocketeer, in terms of their potential shelf life.
Second, I hate this argument because I feel like over time it has become a bit of a cliché, but it's still a valid argument-- Splash Mountain. If they build a ride/land that stands alone, then the popularity of the source material becomes irrelevant. And yes, I know it's one ride versus a land, but it's still a valid argument.

doctornick

First, I think that we should acknowledge the difference in the seven plus films in the Star Wars series over five decades and the four Toy Story films over three decades versus Oliver and Company and the Rocketeer, in terms of their potential shelf life.
Second, I hate this argument because I feel like over time it has become a bit of a cliché, but it's still a valid argument-- Splash Mountain. If they build a ride/land that stands alone, then the popularity of the source material becomes irrelevant. And yes, I know it's one ride versus a land, but it's still a valid argument.

I think there's a huge difference between a single ride and a full land. The recent discussion on this thread isn't expressing any concern over the IPs of individual rides.

Matt_Black

I think there's a huge difference between a single ride and a full land. The recent discussion on this thread isn't expressing any concern over the IPs of individual rides.

Star Wars works. Even if you jettison the EU and stick to official films and TV, you've still got a very, VERY large toybox of ideas to mine. Toy Story can work also. Besides all the stuff from the films, you've got numerous existing toy lines that could be licensed and slotted in. If Disney doesn't want to pay, then it's well within theme to use a pastiche (Combat Carl is pretty clearly GI Joe).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
they want the trolley to come to DHS

DSC_9292.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom