DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

DisneyOutsider

I have watched it Dave, and there is no comparison. The AA's, the scenery, the story line... nothing other then the type of vehicles used are the same. There will always be certain elements that have to remain the same, but, the show is far more interesting and there is no reason why those of us on the east coast cannot enjoy it and not just the super fanbois out in California.

Those of us who have actually ridden it will agree with you. Not even close to the same experience.

Also, RSR is pretty much THE reason why Carsland is so well-received. Without it you have the Cars equivalent of the Simpsons area at Uni. If they build a Carsland without RSR, it will be very tough to measure up to DCA.

*Q*

What would the plan be for an entire land themed to Monsters Inc. besides the much-talked about Door Coaster? Dark Ride? Spinner? M&G?

Ride and Go Seek would be a good candidate to clone for Hollywood Studios, that park could use a good, more traditional family dark ride. Of course, all said and done, I would much rather see them build an Incredibles land more than anything else.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I have watched it Dave, and there is no comparison. The AA's, the scenery, the story line... nothing other then the type of vehicles used are the same. There will always be certain elements that have to remain the same, but, the show is far more interesting and there is no reason why those of us on the east coast cannot enjoy it and not just the super fanbois out in California.

I find it to be practically identical

lentesta

Premium Member
@lentesta, I was listening to a D23 podcast with you and Jim regarding the announcements made for DHS. Jim had indicated in the one podcast that aside from how exciting the news was for Star Wars Land (obviously) and Toy Story Land, it was also fascinating regarding the information that was not announced. He was specifically referring to the Phase 3 Cars Land expansion that is going to be happening (apparently), as well as a Phase 4 expansion that he had heard would be for a Monsters Inc. Land, including the infamous on again/off again Door Coaster.

Have either of you talked about this since then and has anymore been brought to light about this that you could share? As incomplete as the park currently is, it would still be incomplete if these were the only 2 additions.

Thanks for listening to the show! We haven't revisited it, but I can ask Jim. I'll let you know.

Haymarket2008

Despite me wanting Monsters Inc rather than Cars in the park, Door Coaster and all, I think they are going to go with Cars. With a Cars 3 coming right around the corner, and its merchandising options, it seems like a no brainer. If that is the case, I really don't think we are getting a clone of DCA. That ain't happening. It would be a different locale, I'm sure. Yet, if the Monsters Inc vs. Cars behind the scenes showdown is really happening, then who knows! But I also do like the rumor that both could be coming in some way, eventually, as predicted by Jim Hill.

WildcatDen

My HS marching band went in 2006 and we all had to go to the same park each day, but we were free to roam about on our own. We just had two times each day that we had to check-in at a designated area w/ chaperones. It worked out really well.
That is pretty much how ours did it as well, of course, we are a fairly small band with under 250 members.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@lentesta, I was listening to a D23 podcast with you and Jim regarding the announcements made for DHS. Jim had indicated in the one podcast that aside from how exciting the news was for Star Wars Land (obviously) and Toy Story Land, it was also fascinating regarding the information that was not announced. He was specifically referring to the Phase 3 Cars Land expansion that is going to be happening (apparently), as well as a Phase 4 expansion that he had heard would be for a Monsters Inc. Land, including the infamous on again/off again Door Coaster.

Have either of you talked about this since then and has anymore been brought to light about this that you could share? As incomplete as the park currently is, it would still be incomplete if these were the only 2 additions.

Crossed wires somewhere.... I heard both those IPs are fighting for phase 3. Phase 4 would be neither.

I'm sure things could and will change and change again. I know phase 4s theme - as I heard it - is dependent on several factors.

Edit. I see Lee answered already.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Some of the gags are the similar. But... It's about as identical as Small World and Pirates.

Have you ridden RSR?

I've seen a video of it from the first person perspective. Looks good, I'm not downing the ride.

I'm simply putting forth that we already have one test track...

BrianLo

I've seen a video of it from the first person perspective. Looks good, I'm not downing the ride.

I'm simply putting forth that we already have one test track...

Oh I totally don't want RSR in WDW either. Not because WDW has Test Track, but because we already have RSR at DCA.

From a menu planning perspective I also agree, but DHS desperately needs more rides that fill RSR's target demo without actually being a clone. If they do use Cars but aren't including the rock work, they are best to change the ride system entirely to avoid any possible negative comparison.

Smiddimizer

Some of the gags are the similar. But... It's about as identical as Small World and Pirates.

Have you ridden RSR?

The structure of the ride (high speed indoors, vehicle testing, drag race) is different but similar enough that it would be strange to have them within the same ten mile radius, strangest of all the possible Phase 3 candidates anyway. Would certainly show up Test Track too..

PizzaPlanet

Those of us who have actually ridden it will agree with you. Not even close to the same experience.

Also, RSR is pretty much THE reason why Carsland is so well-received. Without it you have the Cars equivalent of the Simpsons area at Uni. If they build a Carsland without RSR, it will be very tough to measure up to DCA.
I agree. RSR is not just a good ride, it is the best that Disney has made this century.

Rotel1026

I don't love that every phase has to be a completely immersive land...I wish there was a more vague themed area like Adventureland and Fantasyland that allowed for multiple properties to live....Pixar Place was going to be "the place for things Pixar" but now it's all talk of "Monsters Inc Land" and "Cars Land" and "Avatar Land" etc. You can't put anything but Toy Story into Toy Story land....it really limits things. I've always wanted them to use Streets of America/Backlot area as a jumping off point for housing any urban themed stories....Big Hero 6, and heck, build a FLYNNS arcade façade and put a TRON coaster there instead of Tomorrowland. It would fit so well!

This, I'm kind of surprised more people haven't mentioned this. My issue is what happens in the future if they fill out the whole park with IP based lands. I can see Disney building a Star Wars based attraction in 20 years but what happens if they build a Cars or Monsters land? Say Toy Story 4, Cars 3 and Monsters University are the last movies based on their respective IP's that Disney ever makes. If Disney were to build a multi-acre land based on Monsters or Cars, would they really fill out the land with a new attraction in 10+ years?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom