DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Brad Bishop

The reason tommorow land and epcot for that matter are where they are is because it is IMPOSSIBLE to create tommorow for any relative period of time. You need to update and refresh continously.

That may be true but at one time you had the People Mover and (DL) the Monorail which at least was an eye to the future. You also had Mission to the Moon/Mission to Mars (a bit lame) - again an eye to the future. Now you get Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, and Monsters Inc which have nothing to do with the future.

Epcot used to have pavilions which looked at what we had today and where things are going and, in some cases, a look back to past to see how we got here (Universe of Energy, Horizons, Land, SSE, etc). Now we have depleted and dying rides (less pavilions except for The Land). Test Track is now Tron Track. It doesn't even try to show you how cars are built/tested. Imagination is just lame. The Land is my favorite pavilion but it does need an update on the films/technology used in it. The Living Seas is an abandoned Sea Lab 2020.

They don't have to keep all of these things absolutely on the latest edge of technology but a 10-year cycle would be nice.

doctornick

That may be true but at one time you had the People Mover and (DL) the Monorail which at least was an eye to the future. You also had Mission to the Moon/Mission to Mars (a bit lame) - again an eye to the future. Now you get Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, and Monsters Inc which have nothing to do with the future.

Tomorrowland has, for a long time now, been "Sci-Fi Fantasyland". I don't think there's really anything wrong with that for a theme park land and it actually fits in better with the rest of MK (which are also not really reality type lands, but based more on genres).

I would agree with Future World losing its focus, though, and it should have more of an emphasis on the real or possible future.

Luxe

I'm ok with Tomorrowland being more of a retro/space/sci-fi land then an actual vision of the future. Keep Innoventions and Epcot for that and have the more playful space and retro future ideas for Tomorrowland. Also agree that it fits better in MK that way and you have some great opportunities for fantastic rides. The obvious advantage of this is that the idea of space is still wondrous to many people.

Brad Bishop

I'm ok with Tomorrowland being more of a retro/space/sci-fi land then an actual vision of the future. Keep Innoventions and Epcot for that and have the more playful space and retro future ideas for Tomorrowland. Also agree that it fits better in MK that way and you have some great opportunities for fantastic rides. The obvious advantage of this is that the idea of space is still wondrous to many people.

I was about to post that exact sentiment but with the added: It needs to be more / something different than Pixar and Disney cartoons. If you want to do Sci-Fi, how about some kind of submarine ride in Jules Verne's style? How about finishing the re-do of Tomorrowland from 20 years back (it's old-school Sci Fi right up to the Astro Orbiter and then it gets very 1970s Tomorrowland again).

Something that's not "ride the movie" would be nice.

doctornick

I haven't seen it touched upon at all, but I have a question for anyone who might know: The parade storage buildings look to be in the way with the Star Wars expansion and will almost certainly be removed for that land. Are they any plans to put new parade buildings anywhere else in the park? Are any plans for a new parade (or old parade, like getting the current Pixar one from DCA) on the table?

I like the sounds of what they are doing with DHS, but I think there is a definitely opportunity/need for a new large daytime entertainment offering there. Especially since only MK now has a big daytime event, it might help to spread crowds around more effectively in the future if there is both a big daytime show and nighttime at DHS.

truecoat

...is it marvel? its marvel. Just confirm it lol

Epcot used to have pavilions which looked at what we had today and where things are going and, in some cases, a look back to past to see how we got here (Universe of Energy, Horizons, Land, SSE, etc). Now we have depleted and dying rides (less pavilions except for The Land). Test Track is now Tron Track. It doesn't even try to show you how cars are built/tested. Imagination is just lame. The Land is my favorite pavilion but it does need an update on the films/technology used in it. The Living Seas is an abandoned Sea Lab 2020.

They don't have to keep all of these things absolutely on the latest edge of technology but a 10-year cycle would be nice.

A 10 year cycle isn't fast enough. Technology is advancing at a rate that they'd never be able to keep up with. This is why Tomorrowland is dead and will never be what it was.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not really. So, say the Tesla for example, is just polished and presented differently? I beg to differ, it drives itself now.
Self driving cars and electric vehicles have been around for decades.

It's been refined (or, as I put it "polished") and presented differently. But the "tech" (or the idea, if you will) is hardly "new", it's just more accessible than before. I love Tesla (aside from the fact they are crappy CARS), but Elon Musk isn't the first, nor even the most influential in his "space", though I respect the guy a lot. It's like saying Steve Jobs invented the "Smart Phone" or revolutionized "computer technology"...he did neither. He just dumbed it down and sold it well, for the most part.

Take this, from EPCOT Center's now defunct World of Motion...note the terms used...20+ years ago...

8065551604_46973ed5f2_o.jpg

Do some of them sound familiar?

doctornick

Staying power really doesn't matter. It's re-ride-ability.

For an isolated ride, yes. IP matters very little compared to execution for an individual attraction.

But when it comes to a fully fleshed out land based on a single IP, there has to be some longevity to the IP or else it will become dated over time. Also, a single IP land is much more restrictive in what can be added to it in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom