DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Chef Kronk

Well, if Toy Story Land's not replacing Streets of America and Star Wars Land's not replacing Streets of America, they could do something with that. Maybe some of it could be used for the Muppets and some of it could be used for something else PIXAR. If not Cars, I vote for Monsters Inc.

I really hope they do something with the Muppets. Even if it's just a small land that has an updated Muppet Vision, a C-ticket ride, and a Swedish Chef restaurant, I'll be very happy.

My vote for Phase 3 is undoubtedly Monstropolis. Cars Land wouldn't be disappointing but I wouldn't be satisfied, either.

Toy Story, Star Wars, Muppets, Monsters Inc, ToT, RnRC, GMR, an updated Fantasmic, a new offering at VoTLM, a new villains show would make this park amazing. I hope Disney goes the Muppets/Monsters Inc. route with the rest of the land they have to work with. Can't wait to see the park when it's all done.

UpAllNight

The muppets idea to me sounds very obviously a good plan, and similar to what Universal did with The Simpsons, building an area around a ride. It's not there to be a game changer, but it's a welcome addition to enhance the park. I'd hope Muppets would get a new 3D film however.

Carsland doesn't really excite me, as I never rated the films and can't appreciate what they actually bring to the table. Not to say the land wouldn't impress, but I personally feel like other Pixar films have more depth, creativity and emotion. I'm sure the box office and merchandise figures would probably explain the cars hype though. For the record, I think Monsters inc, the Incredibles, Inside out, Nemo and Up were much better films. Still, I can see the issues in creating a land dedicated to Nemo (over represented in WDW) and up ( I imagine the landscaping would be more suited to AK). The incredibles could support a very good ride but not convinced about a full land. inside out screams Epcot. Seems to me options are limited if we go down the route of dedicated lands for one Pixar related IP.

misterID

Well, while I am very cynical in general about Disney, someone else has said 2018 was a legit timeframe from SWL, so I am cautiously optimistic.

doctornick

I thought I had heard 2018 for Toy Story Land and 2020/2021 for Star Wars? Marie

There are some suggesting that the time frame has been accelerated due to Ops at DHS pushing the issue and emphasizing the need for more rapid additions. That current time frame might be looking more like Toy Story Land in late 2017, Star Wars in late 2018/early 2019 and "Phase 3" (whatever is eventually going into the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon space) opening in the 2020-21 time frame.

wannabeBelle

There are some suggesting that the time frame has been accelerated due to Ops at DHS pushing the issue and emphasizing the need for more rapid additions. That current time frame might be looking more like Toy Story Land in late 2017, Star Wars in late 2018/early 2019 and "Phase 3" (whatever is eventually going into the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon space) opening in the 2020-21 time frame.
That would be awesome!!! I am looking forward to these changes and they are right, they do need more attractions as soon as possible. Thanks for the info!!! Marie

BrianLo

Well Star Wars +Toy Story + phase 3 + what the park has going for it like Tower of Terror, will make the a park a much stronger park.

Undoubtedly. Here's the problem: DHS is the weakest park in North America (probably not a controversial statement) and arguably a frontrunner for the worst worldwide. Disneyland is easily the best in North America and again arguably a frontrunner for the best worldwide. Since both parks are receiving Star Wars, Toy Story Land is not really doing much to close that perceived gap. DHS would still be a much better park afterwards, but it needs to be more than an improved park.

Hopefully this Phase 3 is part and parcel and will actually allow DHS to more so 'catch up' to what it should be.

MaxW

Well Star Wars +Toy Story + phase 3 + what the park has going for it like Tower of Terror, will make the a park a much stronger park.
i don't truly see your point. its assumed that "after stars" implies all of the additions up to that point. My statement was saying WITHOUT phase three (as it hasn't been greenlit) the park is weak...

doctornick

I know we have it on good authority that there are third and fourth phases planned for the park, but I would remind people of Disney's track record regarding following through with phase 2's and beyond. In this case at least, they've basically got no choice but to build phase 2 given that it's Star Wars and they already announced it. Unless the new movie bombs (which isn't going to happen unless they have literally impossible box office expectations), you can be absolutely sure they'll feel obligated to exploit the popularity in the parks.

But for the third and fourth phases, i'm not holding my breath. They've not been announced, it's unknown (beyond rumors) what they'll even build and it also sounds like they're not greenlit yet. Construction on Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land are said to be starting fairly soon (within the next year or two), phases 3 and 4 are likely to be at least 4-5 years away from even starting.

It's not entirely clear, but I was under the impression that "Phase 3" is actually funded as part of the ~$2.8B allotted towards DHS. I thought that Phase 3 is funded, just that the specifics of what that will entail are not decided at this time, with various ideals under consideration (certainly a Cars area, among other possibilities). Phase 4 is blue sky and not funded; I'm not optimistic it will ever happen.

Even with some significant infrastructure changes taking up a chunk of money, I don't think that TSL and SWL will use up all of the money. Granted, there are probably some other things being paid for (Fantasmic! improvements, villains show, new show at VOTLM), so we'll see.

Of course, it's always possible that plans can change and funding that has been allotted can be withdrawn. Let's hope that it doesn't happen.

matt9112

I'm happy to hear that it is looking as though Echo Lake and the surrounding restaurants will stay safe. My family loves Dinosaur Gertie and hope that she will remain safe, too. It is such a shame that her hours are so limited, especially in the summertime with her closing several hours before the park closes. During Star Wars Weekends and Frozen Summer Fun, it would have been great to enjoy an ice cream cone while waiting for the fireworks to begin.

Honestly I hope she goes....so out of place now....

doctornick

So, if we can assume the third phase is Cars... Come on, Monsters Inc. fourth phase!

Apparently, that's not a safe assumption. The IP that is the basis for "Stage 3" (the area containing LMA and Catastrophe Canyon) might very well end up being Cars but that isn't set yet and there are reportedly some folks involved in the decision who would prefer to leave that as a DCA exclusive.

As for "Phase 4", Martin's map indicated it would in the the vicinity of the Animation Bldg and backstage around there. IMHO, I think that they'd be using non-Pixar properties in that area.

G00fyDad

(Please no Cars for Florida, Please no Cars for Florida, Please no Cars for Florida, Please no Cars for Florida)
20090916_fingers_crossed.jpg
FingersCrossed.jpg
cross-fingers-100712-02.jpg
Hispanic_boy_crossing_fingers_BLD034323.jpg
obama-fingers-crossed.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom