DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Goofyernmost

I think it would be a traffic flow nightmare to have the only entrance to what will be a very popular land via a "ride" of some sort. I envision 2 3 hour lines just to GET to SWL, not to mention the lines once actually there. If they really wanted to build on the other side of the road, a high-capacity pedestrian bridge (with very high walls or complete enclosed) would be much more efficient. But it doesn't sound like either option is on the table...
About a year and a half ago I stated that I thought that they would move the main entrance to DHS to a different location and expand into the wetlands along side the access road. That is what I think is happening, but, I will post this disclaimer. I have no inside information, just a hunch since to me it looked liked the most logical way to go if they were going to have a meaningful expansion. That's all I have to say about that, but, time will tell. However, at the speed in which Disney operates, I will probably be quite dead before it all happens. Send me an e-mail if I'm correct.
It might be wise to send it with some fireproof protection. :)

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
image.jpeg

One is never enough! LOL

doctornick

Perhaps Mama Melrose's is something under consideration for enhancement for that section of the parks, I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see them revive a Muppet concept for that restaurant.

Given the location, a Muppets themed takeover of Pizza Planet would make more sense, but there's no reason you couldn't have the Muppets take over both Pizza Planet (for a quick serve) and Mama Melrose (for a table service).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
About a year and a half ago I stated that I thought that they would move the main entrance to DHS to a different location and expand into the wetlands along side the access road. That is what I think is happening, but, I will post this disclaimer. I have no inside information, just a hunch since to me it looked liked the most logical way to go if they were going to have a meaningful expansion. That's all I have to say about that, but, time will tell. However, at the speed in which Disney operates, I will probably be quite dead before it all happens. Send me an e-mail if I'm correct.
It might be wise to send it with some fireproof protection. :)

The recent permits for the exploratory work for the new roads seem to indicate that there is no plans to expand beyond the access road.

Brer Panther

Wait... If Streets of America isn't going anywhere, why'd they decide to get rid of the Spectacle of Dancing Lights?

Given the location, a Muppets themed takeover of Pizza Planet would make more sense, but there's no reason you couldn't have the Muppets take over both Pizza Planet (for a quick serve) and Mama Melrose (for a table service).
How much space does Pizza Planet take off? There might be enough space for a Muppet dark ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wait... If Streets of America isn't going anywhere, why'd they decide to get rid of the Spectacle of Dancing Lights?

How much space does Pizza Planet take off? There might be enough space for a Muppet dark ride.

One possibility is that even if the something is immediately replacing the streets, logistically they need to area while other things around it are getting built.

truecoat

I'm chaperoning a marching band trip during spring break. I'm trying to talk the director out of going to DHS but he's set on seeing Fantasmic. What will be open March-April?

Meeko77

I'm happy to hear that it is looking as though Echo Lake and the surrounding restaurants will stay safe. My family loves Dinosaur Gertie and hope that she will remain safe, too. It is such a shame that her hours are so limited, especially in the summertime with her closing several hours before the park closes. During Star Wars Weekends and Frozen Summer Fun, it would have been great to enjoy an ice cream cone while waiting for the fireworks to begin.

In response to Disney buying more land, I would love a 5th gate but not at the expense of Futureworld getting a makeover. P.S. I hope they have more than 4 "areas" worth of stuff in DHS when everything is all said and done.

Mawg

In response to Disney buying more land, I would love a 5th gate but not at the expense of Futureworld getting a makeover. P.S. I hope they have more than 4 "areas" worth of stuff in DHS when everything is all said and done.
4 areas is plenty. It's what's in them that counts. The areas will be named, front right land, back right land, back left land and you guessed it....StarWars. Along with the new name for the Park...Disney's Take III. Good generic names make it easier to put what ever you want into it.

boufa

I'm chaperoning a marching band trip during spring break. I'm trying to talk the director out of going to DHS but he's set on seeing Fantasmic. What will be open March-April?

At this point no one really knows... or at least they are not talking. There is a lot of speculation, but most of it doesn't involve much of the existing property. Once the walls go up... and again, no one knows when... we will have some solid idea. I would say that the current poor state of DHS is very over stated. If you look at it, not much is closed. Granted there is a few things, and in a park that is generally considered weak to begin with, those few things stand out.

Right now, the following is closed or gone for good.
Backlot tour. (The only real attraction gone.)
Film institute
Animation Academy
Pirates Adventure
Mulch Sweat and Shears (entertainment)
American Idol (been gone for a while... but they added the Frozen sing alone so maybe that evens out)
- It is a generally accepted that Indiana Jones will go away for SW Land, but no one knows for sure, and no one knows when, could be right as construction starts, could be long after. (It did just go down for a 2 day refurb, so maybe it has a few month left in it at least)

For me, I have only done the backlot tour once, and none of the other stuff ever, so nothing is really gone so far as I am concerned.

wannabeBelle

Hi Boufa, The fact that this park is generally considered weaker than the others to start is a good point. Mulch was the ONLY band in DHS, as opposed to the other parks which I believe has at least a few musical options in each. That is a great example of cutting entertainment where there isn't much to start with. Jedi Training academy is down for a few weeks at least, which is a wildly popular attraction as well. Why? Couldn't this be moved to a temporary location in the meantime? Just too much being cut at the same time with no clear view of stuff to come soon. I was in the load/unload area for the Backlot Tour in May for the Star Wars Weekend shops. Nothing was done on an attraction that had been closed for slightly over 6 months at that point, and I am sure if I could get back there today, I would see the same amount of progress. I do agree, the attraction needed to be closed but, if you aren't doing something with the area, why bother? I love the Studios, and think when it is done it will be amazing but the way this is being done is going to cripple the park and make for a lot of very unhappy guests, both fans and newbies alike. When you are spending a good deal of money on a trip and in comparison to the other Disney parks, when a family is done with all of the attractions they want to do by noon or so, Guest Relations will be getting paid a visit and I wouldn't want that job when it happens! Marie

glvsav37

just sticking my big toe into this thread.....but has anyone ran crowd impact estimates on the other 3 parks for the time when DHS will be under its heavy construction period? I'm assuming most people will be choosing to just flat out skip DHS on their trips, and aside from Universal, the crowd has to be dispersed between the other 3 parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom