DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Goofyernmost

I disagree, Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones any other actor trying to play Indiana will turn people off and they won't want to see it. Ford is too old to play Indiana now. A reboot is doomed to failure as much as I liked the Indiana movies and would love to see them continue, they can't, their over. I do think we may see an Indy attraction, but it would be better based on the originals.
They said that about James Bond (AKA. Sean Connery), but, that franchise is still alive and well without him. Not to me, but, apparently others do not see it that way. To me there will always be one James Bond, however, even I will watch a James Bond movie without him because they are still fairly exciting and have great beginning scenes.

Voice of Disney sanity

But it's the same rhetoric though. This will get cut, well this REALLY isn't as good as it should be ... It's the same doom and gloom even though things are happening. It gets a bit tired hearing how amazing things will be elsewhere and how lackluster Florida will be.

And to be fair, Toy Story is lackluster because some just don't like the theming they are doing for it. Doesn't make it bad or not needed. That's a personal preference.
I'm sorry but too bad. Stop blaming us. Disney's recent track record made us this way. We don't like being cynical. Nobody wanted to complain about the NFL expansion but it was over promised and under delivered. After hogsmeade Disney should have wowed us but instead they value engineered some crap out and a lot of people were disappointed.

Magenta Panther

No George Lucas made Pixar possible and Steve Jobs funded the first Pixar films. Lucasfilm has a long standing alliance dating back 30+ years and George Lucas has been going to Disneyland since the very first day the park was open to the public. A far richer history than Pixar. Nice try though.

Aw, thanks. You tried too. :p

But see, I wasn't talking about money and investment. I was talking about the guy who loved Disney so much he started out as a groundskeeper at Disneyland, then rose to the rank of Jungle Cruise Skipper, then became a Disney animator. A guy who has always understood and revered the Disney aesthetic. Yeah, that guy, John Lasseter. HE'S the reason Pixar is a good fit with Disney. Lucas and Jobs and Henson and Cameron have no such connection. Bad fit. Disney doesn't need them. Nice talking to ya.

Captain Neo

Aw, thanks. You tried too. :p

But see, I wasn't talking about money and investment. I was talking about the guy who loved Disney so much he started out as a groundskeeper at Disneyland, then rose to the rank of Jungle Cruise Skipper, then became a Disney animator. A guy who has always understood and revered the Disney aesthetic. Yeah, that guy, John Lasseter. HE'S the reason Pixar is a good fit with Disney. Lucas and Jobs and Henson and Cameron have no such connection. Bad fit. Disney doesn't need them. Nice talking to ya.

John Lasseter is totally onboard the Star Wars train though. He has said explicitly how those films changed his life and got him motivated to make ambitious animated movies and he was involved with the design of Star Tours 2 (He is even in the ride) and as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering he will oversee Star Wars land as well. Oh and he also loved Lucasfilm so much he went to go work there after being fired from Disney!

Magenta Panther

John Lasseter is totally onboard the Star Wars train though. He has said explicitly how those films changed his life and got him motivated to make ambitious animated movies and he was involved with the design of Star Tours 2 (He is even in the ride) and as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering he will oversee Star Wars land as well. Oh and he also loved Lucasfilm so much he went to go work there after being fired from Disney!

Really? Lasseter's principal creative adviser at Walt Disney Imagineering, and he hasn't even fixed the yeti at Expedition Everest yet? Feh. I wouldn't have high hopes about his work on Star Wars Land, then, if I were you. :D

And Lasseter went to work for Lucasfilm because he needed a job. He had a chance meeting with Ed Catmull at a computer graphics conference on the Queen Mary, and Catmull offered to hire him because he needed an animator for his short Andre and Wally B. (he already had tech guys). If it weren't for his work with Disney, Lasseter would never have worked at Lucasfilm.

Bottom line, Pixar owes a lot of its existence to John Lasseter's fondness for and history with Disney. That's why there's a synergy between the two companies that Marvel and Henson and Lucas and Cameron will never have. Anyway, we can argue this back and forth, but Star Wars Land (of some sort) is happening, whether it's a good fit or not. Although how big or how ambitious the results will be are still pretty iffy IMO. I wonder how many cuts will occur after Iger leaves his post?

Next Big Thing

Really? Lasseter's principal creative adviser at Walt Disney Imagineering, and he hasn't even fixed the yeti at Expedition Everest yet? Feh. I wouldn't have high hopes about his work on Star Wars Land, then, if I were you. :D
It's a good thing that Lasseter isn't a lead on SW Land then, I guess. Scott Trowbridge is - one of the people responsible for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

FigmentJedi

No George Lucas made Pixar possible and Steve Jobs funded the first Pixar films. Lucasfilm has a long standing alliance dating back 30+ years and George Lucas has been going to Disneyland since the very first day the park was open to the public. A far richer history than Pixar. Nice try though.
George has also said that he would have pitched the original Star Wars to Disney if Walt was still alive and firmly believes he would have totally gotten aboard on it.

FrankLapidus

What strange logic.

Bottom line, Pixar owes a lot of its existence to John Lasseter's fondness for and history with Disney. That's why there's a synergy between the two companies that Marvel and Henson and Lucas and Cameron will never have. Anyway, we can argue this back and forth, but Star Wars Land (of some sort) is happening, whether it's a good fit or not. Although how big or how ambitious the results will be are still pretty iffy IMO. I wonder how many cuts will occur after Iger leaves his post?

Yet more wishful thinking on your part. Why would the next CEO, who will likely be Iger's protege Tom Staggs, cut a highly-anticipated and well publicised park expansion based on the most popular film franchise in the world?

You're holding on to a version of DHS that never existed with this constant bashing of Lucas and the Muppets. Disney films have never had that much of a presence at the park, you've created this idealistic view of what DHS was and what you think it should be that has no basis in reality. How is Star Wars a bad fit for a park in which it has had a presence for nearly thirty years? How many people are brought to the park every year from all over the world by four weekends of Star Wars-related fanfare? I'd love to know what this significant Disney presence is in the park that I've missed for the last twenty-plus years because as far back as I can remember the main attractions at the park throughout its history have been the Backlot Tour, Star Tours, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, the Great Movie Ride and, to a leser extent, Indiana Jones and the Muppets while Toy Story Midway Mania has recently become one of the most popular attractions on property.

The animation tour was great right up until Eisner shut the actual production side of it down in the early-2000's meaning it lost all purpose and relevance. I greatly miss that iteration of it, the one where Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams actually showed you how animated films were produced and a professional animator demonstrated the process while you could watch films being created in front of you. That was lost a long time ago though, what we've lost now is a dull, watered-down version that only served as a sad reminder of what the attraction once was. We've got a couple of stage shows based on The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast but that is really about it as far as attractions based on classic Disney films go.

I'm not in favour of things like Avatar and Marvel being brought into the parks myself but Star Wars isn't being brought into the park just because Disney now own it. Its pretty much always been there, its become a part of the fabric of the park and has probably been under-utlisied given how much of a draw it has shown it is. So I really can't see how this expansion is a bad fit for DHS, the truth is that Star Wars has proven time and again that its actually a pretty perfect fit for this particular park and that this expansion should have been done years ago.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was aware of major decisions coming from Burbank. But, not TDO not being around.

Then, that should give those who are expressing fears about TDO's negative impact a bit of a reason to more optimistic.

They are still around though there are two groups of managers in Burbank one the 'TDO' group is focused on financial efficiency and elimination of 'wasteful' elements (ie the Disney Difference) the TDA group is more focused on profit through quality. You have to remember that most of the executive level positions moved to Burbank from Orlando and Anaheim. So while the teams no longer exist the mindsets do and are in conflict. Unfortunately the 'TDO' mindset has had the upper hand of late.

Kman101

I'd like to see Guardians in DHS as well. Let's hope the second film does just as good if not better. I'd rather they not re-theme Rock'n'Rollercoaster to it. Maybe a brief overlay but not permanently. I would like to see a makeover of the coaster but not that. I think it's time for Aerosmith to go and have it become something else.

G00fyDad

I'd like to see Guardians in DHS as well. Let's hope the second film does just as good if not better. I'd rather they not re-theme Rock'n'Rollercoaster to it. Maybe a brief overlay but not permanently. I would like to see a makeover of the coaster but not that. I think it's time for Aerosmith to go and have it become something else.

I truly believe that they will re-theme RnR. Once the new park is defined this attraction will be out of place. Even the ToT has a Hollywood/movie theme. I can seriously see this gaining an important IP overlay. GoTG wouldn't be bad, but I would wait to see how the second movie does. Of course if they make a Marvel attraction (even if it is just an overlay) fans would lose their minds because an entire land was not created. :rolleyes:

Disneyhead'71

I would like to see RNR rethemed to this

who-framed-roger-rabbit-bob-hoskins-roger-rabbit-cab.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom