DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I've been thinking a lot yesterday and this morning over the changes coming to the park and have come to a realization about the changes to the park layout that to me informs what will likely be closing/staying etc. I want to state for the record that I have no inside knowledge nor do I have any sources with any level of knowledge on this topic, but I wanted to throw out this line of thinking for confirmation/predictions sake.

With both new lands striving for immersive themed environments in opposition to the studio theme and the prevailing though that the Toy Story Land is going behind Toy Story Mania, it seems clear that Disney is looking to remove the "inner loop/path" around the Great Movie Ride and focus on an "outer loop." After all, you wouldn't want guests walking by the un-themed back or side of a soundstage or theater if you are trying to immerse them in the land you are creating.

This is the main reason I think the Streets of America will be removed and why I believe the ABC Commissary and Sci-Fi Dine-In (potentially) are on the outs too. Why would you want guests walking around and seeing the backs of the new Jedi Training Academy buildings to get to a couple of restaurants. (You could expand Sci-Fi and rework the entrance to save this popular spot, though).

If this is the plan, I do hope they find a way to eventually connect this loop to Sunset Blvd. to complete the circle and provide another way out of the current dead-end.

Yes..... Some backstage will become onstage and some onstage backstage... Guest "routes" will be different and throw you into the immersive areas... The NDAs floating around prohibit/embargo the release of information to flesh out the rest of your supposition. We are talking "double secret probation" type stuff here to put it humorously.

*1023*

Magenta Panther

Pixar is an off-studio brand as well

Mmm...sort of...but not really. Lasseter worked at Disney for years before leaving and helping to create Pixar. Disney funded the first Pixar films and actually made Pixar possible. There's a synergy and history between the two companies that certainly AREN'T there with Lucas, Henson and Cameron. They're a great fit; the others aren't.

MKeeler

Yes..... Some backstage will become onstage and some onstage backstage... Guest "routes" will be different and throw you into the immersive areas... The NDAs floating around prohibit/embargo the release of information to flesh out the rest of your supposition. We are talking "double secret probation" type stuff here to put it humorously.

*1023*
That's what I imagined and the reason I have the mix of excitement and trepidation. I'm still hoping for the DCA style announcement at some point in the (maybe distant) future to show that they do in fact have a concrete plan for the whole park.

WDWdream97

I've been thinking a lot yesterday and this morning over the changes coming to the park and have come to a realization about the changes to the park layout that to me informs what will likely be closing/staying etc. I want to state for the record that I have no inside knowledge nor do I have any sources with any level of knowledge on this topic, but I wanted to throw out this line of thinking for confirmation/predictions sake.

With both new lands striving for immersive themed environments in opposition to the studio theme and the prevailing though that the Toy Story Land is going behind Toy Story Mania, it seems clear that Disney is looking to remove the "inner loop/path" around the Great Movie Ride and focus on an "outer loop." After all, you wouldn't want guests walking by the un-themed back or side of a soundstage or theater if you are trying to immerse them in the land you are creating.

This is the main reason I think the Streets of America will be removed and why I believe the ABC Commissary and Sci-Fi Dine-In (potentially) are on the outs too. Why would you want guests walking around and seeing the backs of the new Jedi Training Academy buildings to get to a couple of restaurants. (You could expand Sci-Fi and rework the entrance to save this popular spot, though).

If this is the plan, I do hope they find a way to eventually connect this loop to Sunset Blvd. to complete the circle and provide another way out of the current dead-end.
Are they trying to do a lose hub-and-spoke layout?

truecoat

No, it wouldn't. Even if it was just RSR (or an indoor verion with similar capacity) this is what it would look like:

RSR - 1500/hour capacity.

On the average 9-10 day at DHS, that equate to 19,500, which is 9,500 MORE than if LMA completely packs both shows (which it never does). That's assuming there would only be one ride too. Say they add whatever the new Luigi's ride is. I wanted to use Dumbo as an example since it's a carnival ride with pretty crap capacity. If they went the route of Dumbo at MK and doubled, it may come close to 1200, if not then around 600. So...

RSR - 1500/hour = 19,500
Potential Luigi ride with hypothetical 600/hour = 7,800
Potential Luigi ride (doubled) with hypothetical 1200/hour = 15,600

So I don't see how it's a subtraction. Before you even add in the capacity of walking space, shops and restaurants, we're at anywhere from
27,300-35,100 per day as opposed to 10,000 on a great day.

Plus it's a gradual number. It doesn't take several thousand off the streets then dump them back all at once causing incredible flow problems (I'm looking at you Pixar Place).

truecoat

As mentioned by others, RSR would be a nice people-eater for the park but, fantastic AA's aside, it leaves much to be desired as an attraction IMO. If it makes it's way over to DHS, they need to plus it with more speed. I do however (assuming all of Carsland doesn't come over) think it would benefit from not having that "more of the same" feel that you get at DCA. I always found it strange that you would leave Radiator Springs to get on a ride through what you essentially already toured/walked thru...Cars 3 is on it's way too so an environment from that movie could work also depending of when/if this all gets built.

I take it you've ridden RSR.

ProjectXBlog

I wish they'd use it though. While, honestly, it's never been my favorite, it perfectly encompasses the entertainment aspect of the park.
there would probably be some legal issue with using graumann's as the park icon. i will definitely miss the earffel tower if it's taken away; seems it's the last real holdover from the days of the studios aside from gmr

planodisney

Radiator Springs Racers is a fantastic ride and the best ride Disney has built in the U.S. in a long time. The ride has a nice speed, much more exciting at night, but isn't as fast or exciting as TT. But, this ride isn't about thrills. It has great show scenes the way Disney used to do and a fun little thrill at the end. The idea is to allow as many guests as possible be able to ride without excluding little ones. It would be an incredible addition to DHS, supplying an e-ticket that the whole family can enjoy together.
However, for me, part of what makes the ride so good, and it's still the most popular attraction at the DLR, is when the car first takes off and the music starts playing. Your riding through this gorgeous rock work, round the corner for a great view of the landscape and then drive next to the waterfall and bridge before entering the cave.
It's fantastic.

NormC

Pixar began in 1979 with Ed Catmull. It was Lucasfilm's Computer Division. John Lasseter joined in 1983. (He started with Disney in 79.) He worked on the Adventures of Andre and Wally B. which was released in 84. Steve Jobs purchased it and named it Pixar in 86. Disney and Pixar agreed to collaborate on computer generated animation film in 91. Disney agreed to purchase Pixar in 06.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Don't expect any information leaks for a while. I'm sure at least one other person here can confirm what I have heard that a subtle but firmly stated "reminder" has been sent to a lot of those anywhere close to any projects. Without being given too many details, it was mentioned that the word "litigation" was used.

There is a lot more notices ready to go but are unrelated to DHS and more towards social media "famous" employees and such...maybe I'll make a new thread about that.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

doctornick

Here's a big unanswered question (for me at least) regarding the future DHS: Will there be a new parade planned? Or if not specifically planned, will they account for the possibility of a future parade in terms of the layout and backstage?

It's quite possible the current parade storage building will go away as part of the Star Wars expansion. I'd like to see a situation where a new storage building is put in the SW corner of the park (near Catastrophe Canyon) and the paths are designed to allow for a parade to move through whatever replaces Catastrophe Canyon/LMA and via Toy Story Land into the hub and down Hollywood Blvd. It would be nice to see a parade return to the park in the future.

ToTBellHop

Here's a big unanswered question (for me at least) regarding the future DHS: Will there be a new parade planned? Or if not specifically planned, will they account for the possibility of a future parade in terms of the layout and backstage?

It's quite possible the current parade storage building will go away as part of the Star Wars expansion. I'd like to see a situation where a new storage building is put in the SW corner of the park (near Catastrophe Canyon) and the paths are designed to allow for a parade to move through whatever replaces Catastrophe Canyon/LMA and via Toy Story Land into the hub and down Hollywood Blvd. It would be nice to see a parade return to the park in the future.
It would need a new parade route and storage building. Star Wars Land blocks the exit for the parade and removes the storage building. So it would be...difficult.

Captain Neo

Mmm...sort of...but not really. Lasseter worked at Disney for years before leaving and helping to create Pixar. Disney funded the first Pixar films and actually made Pixar possible. There's a synergy and history between the two companies that certainly AREN'T there with Lucas, Henson and Cameron. They're a great fit; the others aren't.

No George Lucas made Pixar possible and Steve Jobs funded the first Pixar films. Lucasfilm has a long standing alliance dating back 30+ years and George Lucas has been going to Disneyland since the very first day the park was open to the public. A far richer history than Pixar. Nice try though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom