DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Ignohippo

LMA only performs twice a day at maximum 5000 people per show if it completely fills up. A land that completely immerses people, lets them walk around, has a few attractions, likely a Flo's cafe and is open all day will be a sizable gain in capacity.

That's exactly my point. If it's the full CarsLand, then it's a great upgrade; if it's a mini version, and doesn't include much of Radiator Springs, then it will be a subtraction IMO.

Mawg

Absolutely, but there's more to the park than just Star Wars. It would be shortchanging Pixar, and doing a disservice to the park, if the icon for the entire park is something from Star Wars.
true, the same can be said with tower of terror. Let's bring back the BUH!

Next Big Thing

That's exactly my point. If it's the full CarsLand, then it's a great upgrade; if it's a mini version, and doesn't include much of Radiator Springs, then it will be a subtraction IMO.
No, it wouldn't. Even if it was just RSR (or an indoor verion with similar capacity) this is what it would look like:

RSR - 1500/hour capacity.

On the average 9-10 day at DHS, that equate to 19,500, which is 9,500 MORE than if LMA completely packs both shows (which it never does). That's assuming there would only be one ride too. Say they add whatever the new Luigi's ride is. I wanted to use Dumbo as an example since it's a carnival ride with pretty crap capacity. If they went the route of Dumbo at MK and doubled, it may come close to 1200, if not then around 600. So...

RSR - 1500/hour = 19,500
Potential Luigi ride with hypothetical 600/hour = 7,800
Potential Luigi ride (doubled) with hypothetical 1200/hour = 15,600

So I don't see how it's a subtraction. Before you even add in the capacity of walking space, shops and restaurants, we're at anywhere from
27,300-35,100 per day as opposed to 10,000 on a great day.

dizneycrazy09

No, it wouldn't. Even if it was just RSR (or an indoor verion with similar capacity) this is what it would look like:

On the average 9-10 day at DHS, that equate to 19,500, which is 9,500 MORE than if LMA completely packs both shows (which it never does). That's assuming there would only be one ride too. Say they add whatever the new Luigi's ride is. I wanted to use Dumbo as an example since it's a carnival ride with pretty crap capacity. If they went the route of Dumbo at MK and doubled, it may come close to 1200, if not then around 600. So...

RSR - 1500/hour = 19,500

So I don't see how it's a subtraction. Before you even add in the capacity of walking space, shops and restaurants, we're at anywhere from

Can't argue with the numbers. Bye LMA.

Ignohippo

RSR - 1500/hour = 19,500

I understand completely and I think we're on the same page, but the point I'm trying to make is that if it's just RSR then it's a kind of an even swap because you have to factor in the enormous amount of additional guests RSR would bring; if it's the entire RS then it's a huge bonus .

Having 4000-5000 people disappear from the park for an entire hour twice a day is much different than a ride taking 500 people at any given time. You would have to have Radiator Springs to help disperse those crowds.

Ignohippo

I bet there will be only one entrance to Star Wars Land from Hollywood Blvd, thus I'd expect that area marked in red to either disappear completely or turn into a courtyard. Either way, it doesn't take much creativity to see how the 50's Prime Time Cafe could stay with either a relocated entrance or closed off into a courtyard (with outdoor seating) like Carnation Cafe in Disneyland. Heck, they could even expand the building to share a kitchen with a Star Wars themed eatery.

View attachment 106767

I don't care if 50's Prime Time Stays or goes. I'm just saying there are possibilities.

The whole thing is gonna be Star Wars. It will stay, it's just being re-themed.

dgp602

Or maybe simply a re-theming for the Sci Fi such as a permanent home for the Star Wars breakfast, such as they did this year during Star Wars weekends. It was certainly popular enough. I'd like to see a change on the menu as well, the last few times I had gone there I wasn't blown away by the choices or the dish I finally did choose. You can do the character meals and/or clips of Sci Fi movies old and new. I think a minor theme change such as that would be all it would need to fit in that land perfectly!!! Marie
Oh man! Picture this: The cars are rethemed into Luke's Landspeeder and some into the Starfighter's!! The whole restaurant is rethemed into a Star Wars cantina! The wait staff is dressed in appropriate themed costumes and Star Wars movies or highlights are looped onto the old Drive-in screen!!!!

Ignohippo

Oh man! Picture this: The cars are rethemed into Luke's Landspeeder and some into the Starfighter's!! The whole restaurant is rethemed into a Star Wars cantina! The wait staff is dressed in appropriate themed costumes and Star Wars movies or highlights are looped onto the old Drive-in screen!!!!

Pod racing would be perfect.

They did that at Sci-fi for the character meals during SWW. It was a blast. They showed a lot of the original trailers from 1977. It was much better than the old sic-fi stuff they usually show (which has become incredibly stale IMO).

I have no idea what's becoming of ABC Commissary or Sci-Fi. If you look at the concept art, it looks as though those buildings are there and part of SW, but nothing was said about them. It would certainly make sense to have them be part of the SW land, but I have no info on that.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
What is DHS supposd to be?

An "Adventure".

Yup. Watch it morph over the next 15 years.

5 years....5 years 6 months....

I believe there is more that is coming, but which is either being held back because it isn't "ready" or because they are wanting to just save a few announcements for later.

The budget is legit.

D23 was throwing the fans a bone.

Eloquently put... there are a few things "testing" the patience of imagineers right now.

Trowbridge can clearly knock this out of the park (so to speak). As I lean more towards the positive side, I bet that this is going to be as truly spectacular is we hope it will be.

Yes and Yes....

But, with the expansions that have been announced, are we really gaining that much? Does it really put the park on the level of the other 3?

Imagine shoes hovering in the air that haven't yet dropped. Even with what's been announced and what is still "hovering" there will still be a small deficit in this park. Also, as a paraphrased REO Speedwagon sang "there (was) is something missing".

That is what can be said safely.

*1023*

SYRIK2000

If they just re-theme existing restaurants and don't add any new ones. There s going to be a lot of hungry grumpy people with the numbers SWL will add. That's why I don't think they are re-theming the restaurants and will add new ones.

NowInc

Don't expect any information leaks for a while. I'm sure at least one other person here can confirm what I have heard that a subtle but firmly stated "reminder" has been sent to a lot of those anywhere close to any projects. Without being given too many details, it was mentioned that the word "litigation" was used.

There is a lot more notices ready to go but are unrelated to DHS and more towards social media "famous" employees and such...maybe I'll make a new thread about that.

Mickey_777

As mentioned by others, RSR would be a nice people-eater for the park but, fantastic AA's aside, it leaves much to be desired as an attraction IMO. If it makes it's way over to DHS, they need to plus it with more speed. I do however (assuming all of Carsland doesn't come over) think it would benefit from not having that "more of the same" feel that you get at DCA. I always found it strange that you would leave Radiator Springs to get on a ride through what you essentially already toured/walked thru...Cars 3 is on it's way too so an environment from that movie could work also depending of when/if this all gets built.

Last edited:

MKeeler

I've been thinking a lot yesterday and this morning over the changes coming to the park and have come to a realization about the changes to the park layout that to me informs what will likely be closing/staying etc. I want to state for the record that I have no inside knowledge nor do I have any sources with any level of knowledge on this topic, but I wanted to throw out this line of thinking for confirmation/predictions sake.

With both new lands striving for immersive themed environments in opposition to the studio theme and the prevailing though that the Toy Story Land is going behind Toy Story Mania, it seems clear that Disney is looking to remove the "inner loop/path" around the Great Movie Ride and focus on an "outer loop." After all, you wouldn't want guests walking by the un-themed back or side of a soundstage or theater if you are trying to immerse them in the land you are creating.

This is the main reason I think the Streets of America will be removed and why I believe the ABC Commissary and Sci-Fi Dine-In (potentially) are on the outs too. Why would you want guests walking around and seeing the backs of the new Jedi Training Academy buildings to get to a couple of restaurants. (You could expand Sci-Fi and rework the entrance to save this popular spot, though).

If this is the plan, I do hope they find a way to eventually connect this loop to Sunset Blvd. to complete the circle and provide another way out of the current dead-end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom