DHS = Florida's DCA?

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I didn't really think about this until now but as far as how new attraction development is going at WDW, it appears as though the focus at this point has been on DHS. Since the park's name was changed, two new attractions have already been built with several rumored ones coming in the near future and possibly a re-worked Fantasmic. It seems as though WDW Imagineering is treating DHS sort of like DCA, but on not as large of a scale. With that being said, what else do you think needs to be changed at DHS?

As far as a list of current rumored projects goes, here's what we've got so far:

Star Tours 2.0
Fantasmic Hollywood/Improvements
Monster's Inc Door Coaster

So if there is a lot of focus being put on DHS, what else do you think should be changed?

Tubes

May this be the first of many "nuke the hat" posts.

Can't speak much from experience, but I'm sure the backstage area would be better used by something else instead of the backlot tour. I may be nostalgic for Catastrophe Canyon, but DHS isn't much of a working studio anymore and having a backlot tour doesn't make sense because of that.

Can't think of much else. Could probably use a theme overhall to keep the varying parts of the park consistent.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Personally my biggest complaint about MGM Studios was the fact that you could see everything in such a short time. It really wasn't worth spending an entire day there. Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror helped change that, but it's still more of a half day park rather than a full day.

With the additions of Lights, Motors, Action, Toy Story Midway Mania and American Idol Experience, as well as the name change, it seems to me as if Disney is trying to finally make this park an all day affair.

In terms of what needs to be changed or improved, there are several attractions that need to be looked at:

Sounds Dangerous needs to go. I was hoping it would be a fun new version of the classic sound effect shows that were in that theater, but instead you just sit in the dark and listen to a stupid skit. I'd like to see the classic sound effect show formula brought back into action, but another replacement idea could be an ESPN related show.

The Back Lot Tour needs some pretty hefty improvements. Since most of the backlot was demolished to build the Lights, Motors, Action arena, there isn't much left to it and the old pre-show is really dated. I'd like to see it done more like Disaster at Universal and really focus on audience participation. Maybe change up some of the tour aspects beside Catastrophe Canyon, which is fine the way it is.

I know I'm going to get some flack for this, but I think the Indiana Jones Stunt Show is really dated and should be replaced with a more advanced Indiana Jones attraction. I'd really like to see us get something similar to the DL one, only with a different storyline and different effects. Heck, making it a high tech water ride would be an interesting twist.

The Beauty and the Beast show has been there forever and should be replaced. The biggest problem is that there isn't any other attraction in any of the parks based on one most iconic of Disney animated films. If the plan to replace Snow White at MK with a Beauty and the Beast dark ride comes into play, I'd like to see the DHS show replaced with something different. Maybe a Princess and the Frog show would be a good idea...

If the new Little Mermaid dark ride is indeed coming to MK, then the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show, which has been there forever, probably needs to go. It's not that amazing of a show to begin with and I think that location could be converted into a new attraction, possably a dark ride if the building is expanded a bit. In terms of what to replace it with, I'd say a ride based on Enchanted would be an interesting idea that could fit into the DHS scheme of things.

Last, but certainly not least, is the park's signature ride: The Great Movie Ride. My personal feeling is that if management is trying to change the park to get rid of all traces of what use to be MGM, then this ride needs to close for some serious downtime. The quick fix would be to change the ride and insert Disney movies instead films from other companies. What I would like to see would be to convert the building into a super E-ticket high tech interactive attraction where guests could journey into the world of Disney films and then be part of their own custom films.

Basically, the exterior would remain the same but line area would be converted into the Disney Film Institute. The giant theater room I would like to see made into smaller screening rooms ala Test Track. There, a pre-show would explain that the DFI was designed to showcase the magic of Disney films, both classic and modern. Their latest discovery is a way to literally travel into the movies. My original vehicle idea was basically a copy of the Spider-Man ride vehicle, but since I believe Universal owns that concept, I could see a modified version of the Dinosaur vehicle working too. The main portion of the ride would be a journey into the world of Disney movies ranging from classic to more modern, allowing riders to experience some really cool segments from Disney films with some intense motion. The second part, which would probably be the coolest, as well as the most complex, would allow riders to take part in the creation of a custom short film. There would be touch screens inserted similar to SSE that would ask each rider what language they speak and then a series of questions. These questions would help determine what kind of movie the riders would be making. Then, after the setting is explained (several possibles I came up with are pirate adventure, space and jungle exploration), the riders would be thrust into a custom "soundstage" where the vehicle would move around simulating whatever situation they get. Then, randomly during the ride, a camera would come on and a line would appear at random for a rider to say during the ride. The whole thing is recorded of course. After it's done and the riders exit, they enter a second mini theater where they can watch their finished film and then enter a gift shop where they can purchase a copy of their film.

So there you go, some of my suggestions for how to improve DHS.

Tubes

The problem with making a massively interactive ride is not everyone wants to be on camera. Just look at Disaster and other rides that rely parts on audience participation.

WDW1974

DCA is a better park (albeit marginally) than TPFKaTD-MGMS.

It certainly has more quality attractions to see. Better entertainment. And it used to have better food too.

AshaNeOmah

TPFKaTD-MGMS?

I know where you're going but what new acronym have we created now?

:shrug:

Nvm. Found it on a 74 post from Laughingplace.com.

The Park Formerly Known as The Disney-MGM Studios

wdwfan100

...The Beauty and the Beast show has been there forever and should be replaced. The biggest problem is that there isn't any other attraction in any of the parks based on one most iconic of Disney animated films. If the plan to replace Snow White at MK with a Beauty and the Beast dark ride comes into play, I'd like to see the DHS show replaced with something different. Maybe a Princess and the Frog show would be a good idea...

Just say it wouldn't be anything even remotely related to Stitch....Please!!!!

Astro_Digital

Disney only films? In the Great Movie Ride

That means you think they should not update the Indiana Jones attraction but get rid of it because I has nothing to do with Disney and scrap Star Tours too for the same reason.

Is it just me but I like Beauty and the Beast it is one of the best musicals I ever heard. Every time I go it looks like it has no problem filling .

What they should get rid of if they have not already is all traces of the "High School Musical"

wdwfan100

Disney only films? In the Great Movie Ride

That means you think they should not update the Indiana Jones attraction but get rid of it because I has nothing to do with Disney and scrap Star Tours too for the same reason.

Is it just me but I like Beauty and the Beast it is one of the best musicals I ever heard. Every time I go it looks like it has no problem filling .

What they should get rid of if they have not already is all traces of the "High School Musical"

I agree, I am actually quite surprised that a classic such as Beauty and the Beast is not better represented on the resort. I only wanted to point out that it seems like Stitch gets way more attention than he deserves. We like BaB too, it is a very good show.

krankenstein

I would say that a completed Pixar Place, a replacement for Sounds Dangerous, a full Muppets miniland, and a version of the Mary Poppins broadway show for the Premier Theater would be a great start.

If they would tear down the hat, add an Indiana Jones ride, and a Maroon Studios miniland to the above and we would have an amazing theme park. :shrug:

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
The problem with making a massively interactive ride is not everyone wants to be on camera. Just look at Disaster and other rides that rely parts on audience participation.

The simple solution is that if you don't want to be on camera, don't ride the ride...

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I would say that a completed Pixar Place, a replacement for Sounds Dangerous, a full Muppets miniland, and a version of the Mary Poppins broadway show for the Premier Theater would be a great start.

If they would tear down the hat, add an Indiana Jones ride, and a Maroon Studios miniland to the above and we would have an amazing theme park. :shrug:

I didn't mention what is already rumored to be going on, which is why I didn't cover Fantasmic or Pixar Place. I do like the idea for a Muppets Mini-Land though.

One I did forget is the Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playset. I think that should be scrapped and converted into an actual attraction. It's big enough where it could be.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
The first idea that came to mind is turn it into A Bugs Life Playset, but since it's a ways away from Pixar Place, I'm trying to figure out what is close by that it could go with...

SirGoofy

The first idea that came to mind is turn it into A Bugs Life Playset, but since it's a ways away from Pixar Place, I'm trying to figure out what is close by that it could go with...

I'm pretty sure that's what they are planning on doing eventually. Pixar Place should be pretty large by the time they are through.

krankenstein

Pixar Place will eventually stretch from The Streets to the current entrance by TSMM. It seems highly logical that A Bugs Life will eventually become an overlay for the play area.

hwdelien

Sounds Dangerous needs to go.
I have to agree, I haven't done this in many years and my youngest children have never seen it.
The Back Lot Tour needs some pretty hefty improvements.
While I would miss the canyon, the idea of a backlot tour from a closed studio doesn't make much sense.
I know I'm going to get some flack for this, but I think the Indiana Jones Stunt Show is really dated and should be replaced with a more advanced Indiana Jones attraction.
I wouldn't mind a new show, but I still enjoy the current one.
If the new Little Mermaid dark ride is indeed coming to MK, then the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show, which has been there forever, probably needs to go. It's not that amazing of a show to begin with and I think that location could be converted into a new attraction, possably a dark ride if the building is expanded a bit.
Here I have to disagree. I love this show and so does my entire family. Besides a dark ride really wouldn't fit DHS. Sure GMR is, sort of, a dark ride, but it is movie memorabilia. Movies and live theater are what best represent the theme of the park.
The Great Movie Ride. My personal feeling is that if management is trying to change the park to get rid of all traces of what use to be MGM, then this ride needs to close for some serious downtime. The quick fix would be to change the ride and insert Disney movies instead films from other companies. What I would like to see would be to convert the building into a super E-ticket high tech interactive attraction where guests could journey into the world of Disney films and then be part of their own custom films.
Yes, YES, YES! I totally agree.

As to an earlier post about the hat... I really like the hat, which has now become the icon for DHS. I'm all for moving it, maybe to the front gate, but NO NUKES.

I don't know about anyone else, but I do stay the entire day and even with skipping SD and BLT we barely get to do everything. Sometimes befor filing in to Fantasmic we have time for RRC or ToT one more time, but that's it. I haven't been there in a year, so I suspect with the new additions it might even be tougher to do everything.

EpcotServo

Nope, not true. The only reason we're seeing so many Studios additions now is because they've been doing turned-based operations on the parks. Animal Kingdom was first with Everest, Nemo: The Musical, and Yak & Yeti. Then EPCOT started getting de-wanded, painted, Living Seas, and Spaceship Earth all along with the 25th. Next was/is Studios, first with Pixar Place, Midway Mania, American Idol, premeire theatre, and the required new name. Next will be Magic Kingdom, with more rehabs, Hall of Presidents, Space Mountain, and if all went according to plan, Little Mermaid.

If it seems like one park is getting the most attention, it isn't due to problems, it's simply that park's turn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom